1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plasma vs DLP?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by trapezoid69, Nov 21, 2004.

1. trapezoid69

trapezoid69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first foray into home cinema and am trying to get unbiased opinion regarding plasma vs DLP.
    I intend to use the setup for movies + sport plus occasional general TV viewing. Smallish room means I will sit about 10ft from the screen.
    The plasma I am looking at is the Panasonic TH-42PWD6 vs the Screenplay 4800 or possibly the 4805 with a 69 inch screen.
    The biggest concern I have is whether the DLP will provide good enough viewing during daylight hours without having to close curtains. Is there a distinct advantage the plasma will provide in this case?

Does anyone else out there use DLP for general TV?

Many thanks

DG

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have no experience of plasmas at home, however I do have a Sharp Z200E DLP (1024x576) on to a 92" screen.

Viewing in a normally-lit room is okay but depending on which direction the main light source comes from (ie. north, east, etc.) then on bright days it'll get hard to watch since a lot of detail will get lost due to light scatter on to the screen, this'll happen in cloudy but bright conditions as well as on sunny days.

In order to counteract this you could go for a brighter projector, say 1500 lumens or more, but then you'd not have a decent image when viewing on darker occasions, it'd be far too bright for that.

From the little I've seen of plasmas in shops I think they're far more suited to non-light controlled viewing.

3. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    If daylight viewing is a main concern, then I'd opt for the plasma everytime. If large cinematic images are more important, go for the projector and buy a cheaper 32 inch CRT for daytime viewing.
    The Infocus 4805 may not be the best option if your viewing distance is only 10 foot though as it has a fairly low resolution and pixelation may be an issue. Try and look for a projector with at least 1024x576 such as the £1800 Optima H57 or 1280x720 would be ideal ( most new LCD projectors around £1300 have this resolution such as the Sanyo Z3 and the Panasonic AE700 which are both superb options).
    The latest projectors produce better images than the slightly 'processed' images produced by lower priced Plasmas, but only in light controlled situations, preferablly blacked out.
    If it were me, I'd buy the projector for the evenings and a 32inch widescreen for the day. This way, it makes the use of the projector more of an 'event' and you'll enjoy using it all the more when you do.

Danny

4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175

NO.

Projectors are really crap in day light viewing. You have to remember that the blackest blacks on your projector screen will be the lightest light hitting it. Therefore, in daylight. Your super rich blacks become horrible light greys and then the projector has to somehow manage to project more light on the screen to compensate.

The only way to do it is to have a really dark grey screen (or maybe black) and point a light cannon on it. In other words a REALLY bright projector.

However. At night. That projector will be WAY to bright. You'd have to wear sunglasses.

Have you looked a some of the newer rear projector DLP TVs. They come in really large sizes these days at Plasma prices.

5. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    well untill sony get around to releasing there daylight screen tech, dont even think about projection if you cannot darken your room

As above comment you could try the new optoma rear projection tvs. the picture quality is very very good and quite an advancment over the old bulky rear projection set we all remember. they are quite thin as well

6. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Yes. I wonder how much that's going to be.

Wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't much change from a grand.

7. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
  8. Chairman Mao

Chairman Mao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oakleyspatz has it right. I in fact have exactly the panasonic plasma that you (trapezoid) are looking at. It's great, especially for widescreen TV (most DVD TV shows have this). Regular TV watching is of course also vgood. Panasonic was the best for the price when I got it last year. But.... I am now looking at buying a projector because even 42inches is too small for films. It depends on the size of your room, but mine is big enough so that as I sit about 4m away from my plasma, it has become quite small, and details in big movies are difficult to see. This isn't a problem for TV because most TV producers are aware of their medium and film shots mostly in close and medium shots. In short a plasma is still very much watching films on TV, rather than a projector which is more like the cinema experience. But watching TV on a projector would be a nightmare, for the reasons given by others. So either buy both (probably a smaller plasma for TV), or buy the panasonic and sit close to it.

9. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I remember getting a 36 inch Hitatchi CRT a few years back and at first thought it was way too big and the picture huge ! A few months down the line, I was used to the size of the picture and was already wanting for something bigger. Luckily I was only renting it !! Imagine if I'd bought it on 3 years finance and was bored with it after 3 month!
    My belief is that Home Cinema should always be a 'WOW' inducing experience. You watch the news on your small crt, you watch Eastenders on your 15inch LCD, but when you watch the new release of Star Wars, you want to be blown away and that can only really be acheived by watching it on an 8 foot wide screen with an image produced by a first class projector.
    But if you were watching this image allday everyday, soon you'd be used to it and that 'WOW' factor would go. So keep your movie watching as something special, watch your daytime TV on something smaller and when the lights are low, get out the popcorn, crack open a cool Stella and prepare to say...........
    "WOW" :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    When choosing it's also advisable to include the price of the projector lamps into your equations. At (about) £230 for 2000 hours, this works out at (about) 11p per hour. I have both a plasma TV (Hitachi 5300) and a Benq 6200 DLP projector (which is owned by my company), and I watch the plasma all the time, and the projector is only used for special occasions, not just because of the price of the lamps, but because of the time it takes to set it all up. I can get an 87" picture on the projector, but only a 42" picture on the plasma, but the plasma is about twice as bright, and you don't get the dreaded rainbow effect :)

11. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Plasma vs DLP?

The only real solution, that you'll be happy, with is to get both.

This might seem a glib answer but I suspect you want both. Both plasma and projector are fabulous but different. Plasma - or a similar sized lcd is fantastic for ordinary use and the size of it really does beat a crt tv. So if you want a better tv experience than an ordinary sized tv get a plasma. It's a different experience, in my view.

But when the sun goes down and you've got a film or a big match there's nothing to beat a projector. I've had mine for a few years now but I'm still amazed that it's actually possible to have such a fabulous big picture at home. It's an incredible treat, quite unlike any ordinary tv viewing.

Both have very desirable strengths. As a straight replacement for a tv the plasma is the only option, but if what you really want is a cinema experience you'll need the projector, with the disadvantages that come with it. It really does need a dark room. You can watch one with the curtains pulled on a summer afternoon but it's not as good as it can be and you'll know it and not be that happy when you do. You'll know how much better it can be when the conditons are perfect.

Both are so fabulous, but different, that the only solution is both. Dammit.

Enjoy

12. mfairclough

mfairclough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at trapezoid69 original question in this thread, here's my view :

- As mentioned earlier in this thread why not consider the Optoma RD50 or
    similar DLP rear projection TV. Your room is small and you'll be sitting 10ft
    away, so the 50" screen would be the perfect size (they also do a 65"
    model but I think that would be too big).

- The RD50 can be viewed in all lighting conditions and has a lamp life of
    10,000 hours. Uses the new HD2+ DLP chipset and has a 6 segment colour
    wheel which greatly reduces the rainbow effect.

- It's under £2,000, is future proof (i.e. HDTV compatible, loads of inputs
    including DVI and VGA for connecting a PC) and does not suffer from
    screen burn. When the lamp dies just pop in a new one and your picture
    should be as good as the day you bought it. Great value for money when
    compared to plasmas in my opinion.

- The Sagem Axium is on display in most Comets so you could go and have
    a look at this to see if a DLP RP TV is the way you want to go (the Sagem
    is the same design as the RD50 but has less connections and uses the
    older HD2 DLP chip)