1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma vs DLP rpTV

Discussion in 'TVs' started by stanleyntl, Jan 10, 2005.

1. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    How well do DLP rpTVs compare with the best Plasma TVs?
    i.e. against Panasonic Viera, Sony Wega engine, Philips pixel plus 2, Hitachi models? :confused:

2. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Havn't had any first hand experience with the above plasmas, however John Archer of What Video & Widescreen TV claims that the Tosh 46WM48P betters most plasmas and is even on par with the high end ones to. Take a look at the review in this months mag!

Also, i demo's the Pioneer High Def panel in Comet yesterday (i'm waiting for delivery of my Tosh DLP tommorrow from Comet) with exactly the same DVD disc as i did the Tosh. I went straight from the Tosh to the Pioneer, and noticed immediately that the colours were not as vibrant, the blacks were not as dark, and generally the picture in my honest opinion looked pants! And the best bit is, it was up for £2800.00, compared to the Tosh that i managed to get from Comet for £1549.00! If its not critical for it to go on your wall, i would forget about Plasmas!

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    Ask a question like this, in a forum dedicated to DLP items, and there will inevitably be a biased answer. Ask the same question in a Plasma forum and expect to get a different perspective.

For me, DLP holds its own compelling reason to avoid - even at the relatively small sizes used in RPTVs, the rainbow artefact is something I find uncomfortable.

4. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Maybe John Archer owns a DLP as well then ah?

5. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I've never seen a rainbow on any of the sets I've previewed yet.
    On a vanilla RPTV I can see them quite easily, who doesn't?
    I'd be interested to hear if anybody with a DLP set actually does see a rainbow and except for moving your eyes or head violently side to side what is it that can lead to rainbow effects.
    I've viewed a few sets with poor feeds but never seen a rainbow so it can't be down to the quality of the feed I'm sure.

6. boab_is

boab_is

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer Plasmas and Philips Pixel Plus 2 LCD & Plasmas are the best screens i've seen. and i've seen a lot.

The philips are a little less forgiving of duff sources like minor sky/freeview channels, and can be a little tiring on the eye over long periods. (but the ambilight helps this no end)

The Pioneers are more "everyday use" screens. they look great with Sport and regular TV. If you run a DVD through HDMI, or watch full on Hi-Def TV, they comprehensively wup all comers.

My issue with all Rear Projection TVs, DLP or otherwise, is that they still suffer from being a little faint and indistinct. The Hi-Def compatible screens such as the Sagem and Tosh sets you will hear about on these forums are a marked improvement, but still lack that last 5% that makes a screen superb.
    I find that this is not a lack of effort from the makers, but a limitation of the technology.

We are currently in a transitory stage of screen technology, a lot of manufacturers are releasing cut down models to cash in on the non-expert market demand for flat tvs. These screens will soon date in technology terms, but the consumer will not notice as they are unlikely to adopt new SKY/DVD products on first release.

The likes of us, who pre-order the latest bleeding-edge technology as soon as it is hinted at, demand more up to date screen spec, and there is still a lack of consistency in this market. Resolutions, compatability, inputs, copy protection etc are all issues that are regularly debated here and elsewhere. Once the providers of SKY TV, and other pay TV services,get their act together, we will have a definite answer regarding what we need our TVs to do.

This is why I am reluctant to go for a screen at present, as there are too many variables to worry about. :thumbsdow

/rant off ;)

7. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

I've had my set for two days now and have not seen a single rainbow yet. But then saying that, i havn't ever seen a rainbow on any of the DLP sets i've looked at. I was watching Gladiator last night at the beginning with the flaming arrows - which i thought would display rainbows - light on dark - but could not see them at all. I even shook my head for about a minute (like an idiot - although i was on my own!) and could not even see one! Hope it stays that way!

8. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    If you cant see them now you wont start seeing them in the future :smashin:

9. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    You only have to look through the forum to see the rainbow affect just isn't the problem it used to be with standard RPTV's.
    I

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    Billy - are we talking about the same thing? Standard (by which I mean 3 tube CRT) RPTVs would be highly unlikely to suffer from the DLP rainbow artefact. This is quite different to poor convergence setup (colour fringing round the edges of objects). It is also not seen (i.e. not visible) by some people.

11. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    strange one this i owned a rear pro Hitachi [crt] and did get a strange effect now and again . when i used avia to set up some of the tests could cause this strange effect like rainbows. It was like a large circle on screen could overlap itself [as if out of focus] when you blinked your eyes. This was not a duff set most of the time it was cracking. I have not seen a rainbow on DLP sets or projectors.

12. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I own both a 42" plasma and a Benq 6200 DLP projector, so I don't think I'm particularly biased either way, but I am aware of the shortcomings of both.

Plasma Pro's:
    Capable of high resolution
    Cheap to run once bought - expected life at least 20,000 hours.
    Excellent picture quality.
    Colour rendition as good as CRT TV's.
    Excellent viewing angles
    Bright pictures.
    Very slim case, can be hung on wall.

Plasma Con's :
    Can be prone to screen burns.
    Pixels can "die" or get stuck on.

DLP Proj Pro's :
    Capable of high resolution
    Excellent picture quality
    Bright pictures on TV (not projectors)
    Not susceptable to screen burn

DLP Con's :
    High running costs due to lamp life
    Mechanical system more prone to breakdown
    Brightness of picture not suitable for all viewing conditions (Projector only)
    Bulky case (TV)
    Dust/dirt can cause problems with optics
    Pixels can "die" or get stuck on
    Restricted viewing angles (TV)

If anyone says they can't see the rainbow effect on DLP, get a copy of the DLP "Essex Boys". If you can't see rainbows on the opening titles, you're very fortunate :)

13. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    remember that the latest DLP RPTVs discussed recently in this forum are genuinely hi-def sets, whereas similar priced Plasmas are not.

Though there are pros and cons on both sides, try finding a 46" HDMI equiped plasma capable of 1280x720 for £1599