Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Plasma vs DLP projector

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by trapezoid69, Nov 21, 2004.

1. trapezoid69

trapezoid69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first foray into home cinema and am trying to get unbiased opinion regarding plasma vs DLP.
    I intend to use the setup for movies + sport plus occasional general TV viewing. Smallish room means I will sit about 10ft from the screen.
    The plasma I am looking at is the Panasonic TH-42PWD6 vs the Screenplay 4800 or possibly the 4805 with a 69 inch screen.
    The biggest concern I have is whether the DLP will provide good enough viewing during daylight hours without having to close curtains. Is there a distinct advantage the plasma will provide in this case?

Many thanks

DG

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    have you demoed a DLP PJ espescially an infocus 48XX unit? If not do so rainbows are going to be a major potential issue. No Display performs at its best in direct sunlight/ very high ambient light........ you should always have light control.... a PJ will be more cinemtaic than plasma, a plasma is more of a TV type display, so do you wan a big telly or small cinema?

3. drdavewatford

drdavewatford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might also want to reconsider the size of the display you'll be looking at - a 69 inch screen at only 10 ft seems enormous. My viewing position is also about 10 ft, and my 43" plasma is at the limits of what I personally can handle at that distance. Seems that for such a small room, a projector might not be the best choice.