1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma v's CRT

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by chung54, Apr 7, 2003.

1. chung54

chung54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Apologies in advance if this topic has already been covered, did a search but didn't come up with anything, anyway here goes......

I'm thinking of getting rid of my Sony 32"LS60 and getting the Samsung PS-42P2S plasma screen, it's at Richer sounds for £2k. Which in all of your experiences provides the better picture, a plasma screen or a TV??
    I've got the picture pretty much spot on thanks to some guys on here but am wondering if the picture will be better or worse if I get a plasma. Not been to see the picture on the Samsung plasma yet but will do later this week.
    The only reason I want to get a plasma is so I can stick it on the wall and that it'll look wicked in the front room :D Well, we watch quite a few DVD's and satellite so guess that'll be a bonus too:clap:
    Any ideas, thoughts, opinions?

Cheers

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plasma is quite expensive, and expensive to service. Plasma can work progressively though. I find Plasma screen pixelly and blurred. Although I have not seen a proper setup Plasma. Plasma has spot-on geometry. Pixels can die. Can get screen burn much quicker than CRT.

CRT affordable, guns can be replaced & better blacks. Needs converging/geometry adjusted.

I think someone here considered the Samsung, but went for the LG instead.

3. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a follow on from Nathan_silly's comments.

I don't find the Plasma pixelly or blurred, I've got a 42" and sit about 8 feet from it.

The picture looks fantastic to me (had it setup for about a month and still gives me a wow factor). My neice was round at the weekend and we watched Toystory 2 and I see things I haven't seen before, like dust on the shelf that Woody is placed on.:eek:

I moved to the plasma from a 32" Toshiba CRT

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    If you want:

Perfect geometry
    Perfect convergence
    Perfect focus guaranteed
    Low physical weight and size
    No potential for discolouration of geometry changes due to external magnetism
    Lower power consumption

at the (possible) expense of

Unnecessarily large amounts of contrast
    Unquantified (at present) reduced risk of phosphor burn
    Lower cost, inch for inch

go for a Plasma.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to disagree with Nigel..

42" RPTV CRT uses less power than a 42" Plasma.
    42" RPTV CRT is cheaper per inch than Plasma.

Unless I read your post wrong.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    I was comparing direct view CRT as regards power consumption. And, as regards cost - I meant that CRTs cost less per inch.

With particular regard to CRT RPTVs - I have NEVER seen one with anything like an acceptable image. That's just my opinion based on observation.

7. chung54

chung54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked out me mates Panasonic 42" plasma during lunch and there seemed to be shadows, for want of a better word, when any onscreen text came up. Checked out the Matrix DVD and I could see a slight blurry outline off the characters, the same could be seen when we switched to Sky, not sure if this is due to the set up or what?!

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Toshiba 42" RPTV is perfectly acceptable, even at 6' viewing distance. Geometry is almost perfect, only noticeable in test grids- even then only a few mm out.

I have seen Plasma's elseware, they only show animation. I wonder why?

Slightly out of convergence at one point, but it's more than half the price of a cheap Plasma, and three times cheaper than a Panasonic 42" Plasma.

If you can afford £3000, and accept that after a few years (past the warranty) they cannot be serviced at reasonable prices...

9. kidooneill

kidooneill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Listen, if you watch a lot of DVDs and Sky then do yourself a favour and get a Plasma!!!!

I have a Panny PW5 and my sitting room is only about 12ft long and no matter where i sit the picture is awesome.

The plasma that you said had shadows must not be set up properly because if done so then you would simply say.....WOW!!

10. sombra

sombra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a plasma, nor a big CRT. In fact I watch my DVDs on my 19" PC monitor. That's what I use as a baseline for quality. Since I'm used to seeing movies on the PC I will not settle for anything less than that quality. I have been looking at a lot of CRTs and none larger than 28" impressed me. I looked at the Panny 42 and a Fuji 42 and it was like looking at my PC screen supersized. I don't know if that helps or not. But that's my unqualified 2 cents.

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Starting to drift off the point a bit here chaps. He was asking if it was a good move to go from a 32" Sony CRt to a Samsung Plasma !

I had the Samsung Plasma screen from RS. Two of them in fact. Both returned as faulty. I then looked carefully at the LG 17 & Tosh 5 series panny clone. After carfully looking at them with a number of demos I decided that although the Tosh was "Slightly"better quality I could not justify paying 50% more.
    It was also not as nice to look at seemed to make more background noise at low vloumes and I was also worried about the lip synch issues I have heard raised a number of times from Panny owners. That said it is said to be the best Plasma panel you can buy. I suppose it is down to personal taste. The Tosh was only £400 more. I could have had it but prefered the look of the LG personal taste I suppose.

I could easily justify the extra £500 more than the Sammy having seen the LG in action. To summurise the Sammy wasnt a bad screen but after having two with different serious faults I did not want to risk getting another one. Incidentally first screen fault - wire driver kept cutting out second screen interferrence / flicker at side of the screen.

My honest opinion for £2000 not bad for the money IF you get one that is not faulty but well worth paying the extra to get a better screen with much better contrast and brightness wether you go the Tosh / LG route. Just my opinion.

On to the Plasma CRT debate. To be honest you may find that on some TV channels (Ie certain sky channels) the quality does not look as good as CRT. Honest people say that whatever Plasma screen they have and that includes a friend of mine with a 5 series panny. Why ? Main reason Plasmas are very picky on quality crap in crap out. Even more noticable 3.5 ft wide. Many Sky channels are crap quality. Having said that on your BBC1, 2, 3 ITV Sky News New 24 sky sports and most other channels I find it looks superb once properly setup. On DVDs a properly setup Quality Plasma will blow away any CRT set I have ever seen in terms of quality and "Experience"

They are also a nice piece of furniture. Look great on the wall and saves a load of space. Nice to get back a large part of my lounge. Looks so much better.

One point I would make. Dont look at it as £2000 grand or £2500 for the LG or £2900 for a Tosh and think it ends there. You need to factor in £150 for the wall mount / stand at least £100 for decent cables unless you already have them and unless you buy the Sammy which is the only Plasma 42" panel I know of that has RGB scart you will need a component / RGB scart converter to hook it up to your av equipment in you want decent quality. That will set you back another £100. Then if you buy from RS you only get 2 years warranty with the Sammy / LG panels. Alot of money for something that could die in 24 months. So you get an extended warranty for another 2 years. That takes you to Going on £2500 for the Sammy £3000 for the LG if you want to do it right.

RPTV or Plasma. Get real. I have yet to see one with anything like acceptable quality unless you are in a dark room sitting directly in front of it.

You just cant compare the quality. Plus they are even more huge than CRT sets. They also suffer worse problems with screen burn than plasmas which is incidentally an issue for Plasmas, Projectors and RPTV sets depending on how you treat them.

My advice go and demo a few sets carefully. But I will say this once you have a plasma there is no way back to CRT or anything else, not fo me anyway.

12. GASWATKINS

GASWATKINS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    LG seems to be all in at Bristol
    Gardiner Haskins for £2999
    with screen ,tuner speakers and stand

Could be a good bet

13. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My advice. Look at the size of that thing.

Any disadvantages of plasma I find are outweighed by the sheer impact of having a large screen.

go on do it. You know you want too. ;)

14. chung54

chung54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, cheers guys for all your input. Some varied opinions there but I think all in all it's swaying towards the plasma, but the money has to be spent :rolleyes: Thanks for pointing out the 'extras' harrisuk, didn't even think about having to pay for the wall mount!! I'm also guessing that for those who don't say 'built in tuner' I'm gonna have to fork out for one of those plus associated cables!
    My plan of action is to have a look at as many set up and working plasma's as possible this weekend, then decide whether to spend on a 'budget' one or save up a bit more and go for a slightly more expensive better quality one.

Thanks all again.

15. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I bought a plasma sight unseen a couple of weeks back from sevenoaks - the 42" Panny. From what I had read, this was the best picture quality around.

I had been keeping my on prices and hoping they would fall a bit closer to the 3K or even possibly 2.5K but they would consistently stay around the 3.5K mark. I then stumbled onto some brand new, boxed W4 versions of the Panny which were going for £2999. Onto the phone to check out the differences between the W4 and W5 and was told that the picture flickers less on the W4 and gives a more stable image. I paid my deposit subject to me liking the picture quality.

I went in recently to check out the set and they had both the W4 and the W5 on display, along with about 6 or so others, some Fujitsu, some other brands - didn't really take much notice. Scanning across all the sets, all of them except the W4 looked digitised. The signal (I guess direct from Sky Sports) was golf. Showing the ball in the air, I was able to check could I see the ball, how the greens looked etc. It was when the screen was completely filled with the green (as in the golf sense), that the digitisation really showed itself. I know some have already mentioned that the signal really matters on plasmas and this short test (in my eyes at least) showed this to be the case.

Now, I tend to turn off a bit when it all gets too technical but I think that the W4 scanns/refreshes(?) more that the W5 and that is why it appears to flicker less. You may think that I am biased because I bought last years model as opposed to this years flavour and I have to justify this somehow but out of all the models on display, the W4 was the only one that could be mistaken for a regular CRT TV picture. However, this was only based on a three minute look on some golf but I didn't have to buy the set and the deposit was refundable but I still bought it. Again, I don't know if there are any other differences (inputs, outputs etc) between the two pannys which would make someone prefer one over the other but based purely on picture quality, I am happy I got the older model.:p

Based on your original question, I would definitely get some demos. A thousand pounds is a lot of cash, never mind 2 or 3K. Good luck.

Simon

16. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Panny 4 model 3 months before I moved into my new house as I had heard/read they were better than the 5 model (flicker and all that) and I didn't want to miss one.

There was a fair bit of talk on solarisation and that the 5 was better at handling this than the 4, but to be honest the only time I ever notice solarisation is say on a Sunrise/Sunset scene or torch light in a black room. But this never bothers me, it is afterall only a few seconds compared to the otherwise fantastic picture.

Mike

17. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,662
    I have just upgraded from a Toshiba 32 to the latest Hitachi 42 in the livingroom. Contrast not an issue. Larger size is wonderful.
    The fact that it's bolted to the wall means the room looks bigger and the kids can't sit too close or get their grubby hands on it.
    The only 2 downsides are that I am more concerned about screen burn - particularly cos I watch BBC news 24 a lot - so DOGS have become a real hated issue and I tend to switch the TV off and just listen to the sound.
    The other issue is that of sound. I had to buy an amp and speakers. But doing so meant that I get better sound quality and wider sound field. Just had to program turning the amp and plasma on and off in my Pronto with one press.
    Overall a huge improvement in viewing experience.

18. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I think you have to be sensible. Screen burn is definately an issue with plasma screens and some care is required.

Hopefully my screen will last for many years. Given that most channels now like to leave static graphics and logos all over the screen I think if you have a plasma screen for a few years watching Sky One, News 24 Mtv etc... for prologed periods of time will eventually cause some mild burn in. And most people will do this.

But as long as your careful it should not be a problem. The logos dont actually worry me. I have seen panels in shops on display which are constantly showing news 24 and. One in particular had the time area mildly burned in where it displayed the news 24 bottom left hand corner of the screen. But you really had to look for it. On the screen I saw it only appeared when the area affected was displaying black and you had to be really really close to see it. I mean 1 ft or less. And I was looking for it. At 8 - 9 ft I could not see it. And this screen had probably been displaying it for months for 9hrs a day or more.

I am much more worried about widescreen movies that are not anamorphic. These create much much bigger burn areas which I think would be really visible over time.

I have read about several "Screen wipe" features a number of plasma screens have. The most popular one seems to display pure white for a couple of minutes which apparently reduces or removes mild burn in by evenly spreading wear across the screen. My only problem with this is that it definately shortens the life of the screens as displaying pure white wears out the screen more quickly than normal use.

In any event my LG 17 screen does not have this feature. But I could easily create a DVD disc that would do the same thing displaying a combination of full screen pure white and other colours that are supposed to have the effect of evenly spreading wear across the screen. I might make up a disc in case I ever have a problem with burn.

19. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Something other posters in this forum have said works better than a pure white screen is a "negative" of the screen-burnt area. So for those bars at the top and bottom of the screen which never get used in 70mm films, you would put on a DVD the inverse of this - that is a black central area with white bars at the top and bottom.

Apparently this works better than a pure white screen....

mike

20. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Interesting I can see the logic in this. But it must start to get a little difficult as the bands can be diffrently spaced depending on the film you are watching.

I find it amazing that such a big issue is discussed so little on here. I am sure that most people who own these things just live in denial.

But I will be honest and say I think it is an issue, I am just going to be careful and not let it bother me.

21. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    You have to have digital terrestrial TV, sky or cable hooked up to a plasma.
    If you have seen these on demo with an analogue terrestrial signal then you're missing the quality of these beasts.
    I would go as far to say that if you have a plasma, do NOT buy an analogue tuner for these plasma's and that includes the silver panny tuners.

Currently enjoying a 42" 5 series Panny with a 221T Freetoview STB. :D

22. dave.ads

dave.ads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll go along with the need for a digital tuner, far better for a large screen. I wouldnt pay any extra for one with an analogue tuner unless you cant get digital or sky.

As for CRT versus plasma or rear projection, I have a pioneer 433MXE and a friend has a Hitachi 42PMA400E. Both of these give much better pictures in our opinions than any large screen TV of any sort we have seen.

I have not seen any rear projection TV that are even in the same game as far as picture quality is concerned. I find them just about bearable if you sit directly in front and at the correct height and nowhere else. Anyway who wants a box that big filling the average living room unless you only want the TV and single comfy chair in it. Try and get that past the missus!

You can get the Hitachi for less than £3000 and the picture is superb. The Pioneer costs more, but I think the picture is more to my taste and its screen is slightly bigger and is silent!

One thing to note. After you have had one for a few months, 43 inches dont seem very big any more until you go to a freinds to watch a film on a 21 inch!

Cheers Dave.

23. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I would just like to make a comment on this having seen the new 42" Fujitsu screen in Selfridges.

My god. It is easily the best Plasma display I have ever seen. It was next to the latest Pioneer and Panny models and them blew both of them out of the water.

Amazing. And I agree a properly setup Plasma screen beats any big screen CRT in my opinion. Marginally less quality on low quality sources such as Sky NTL. Totally wipes the floor on high quality sources DVD, Video games etc.