1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma vs crt

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Leerock, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many people in here keep saying that crt tvs have not yet been replaced by plasmas or lcds in picture quality.
    I truly haven t seen this difference in many comparisons i ve made.
    To be honest, on a plasma (especially pioneers) even with a much more large display it blows crts off.
    Why everybody keep saying that?
    Is it a preconception? :p

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    There are some areas in which CRTs can exceed the performance of the alternatives - number of different shades of colour, contrast, etc. However there are also many, many areas in which it is exceedingly difficult to get a CRT that does things right - convergence, geometry, stability, etc.

At the end of it all, it's down to personal preference.

Of course, there will always be those who prefer the sound of crackly vinyl over CD, and there will always be those who will never embrace anything new, as a matter of principle. If one chooses, one can always find a (perhaps minor) flaw in anything and then inflate it to justify why one thing is better than another. Realistically, nothing is perfect so it comes down to which shortcomings annoy YOU least.

3. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think many people have the preconception that plasma offers poor performance because it's virtually impossible to find dealers who know how to set them up properly. The only way most people will see what plasma is capable of is either if they own one (and know how to set it up properly) or have an A/V enthusiast friend or neighbour who owns one ( or they're lucky enough to live close to one of the knowledgable dealers who contribute to this forum :) ).

Failing this, most folks opinions of plasma will be based on the grainy, blocky, overdriven demos they see on the high street.

I invited a friend over who owns a Sony 36" CRT, and who was also a "plasma is crap" diehard. Within one minute of watching a scene on a good quality dvd, even he conceded that the PWD6 was better than his Sony.

Two months ago, I was also a CRT diehard, but having now lived with a plasma for the last six weeks, and having seen the level of performance it's capable of, I would never go back to CRT as a main display.

4. d0mj4y

d0mj4y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bob,

So when I get my Plasma I can rely on you to help me with the set-up? :D

You say you own a PWD6? I'm currently looking at the PW7/PWD7. Does the exta "D" make much difference, or would it be better to keep hold of the extra £200-odd and plump for the PW7?

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    The pre-conceptions have been forged by earlier Plasma efforts. In the early days there were some truly attrocious efforts on plasma that would put you off them completely (hindsight is a wonderful thing!). Mostly by the cheap brands.

Also a CRT is smaller and in such can hide the flaws in the picture. Plasma is a lot more revealing of the source and the results can be unforgiving. Meaning you have to partner it with appropriate equipment, so in for a penny in for a pound.

Also after watching CRT for so many years you become conditioned to it and that does become your norm reference. However the top brands fed with a good signal offer a picture that's very favourable to a CRT device.

6. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i would not go back to a CRT no way

7. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: me neither ;)

8. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Having spent Christmas day and Boxing day round relatives watching 28/32" CRT's it makes me appreciate how wonderful my Plasma (42" PW5) is. I couldn't help but cringe watching the CRT's... terrible geometary, terrible flicker (at one relatives) and at the other who has a 100Hz Toshiba CRT I don't know what was going on with the 100Hz processing... horrid!

As previous posts have stated the source and set-up play a BIG part in what can either make a Plasma look great or awful. The first thing I did was take anything that wasn't either RGB or Component out my system. Buying the plasma was only the start of the expense for me. However, would I do it again....... hell yeah! :D

Having owned a Plasma for over 2 years now, there's NO WAY I could go back to CRT. My only problem is 42" seems small now!

9. Numbskull

Numbskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok ive seen alot of complaints on the forum about artifacting, grain, or whatever u want to call it, to do with plasma displays - but if u feed this same signal to a crt tv you dont seem to notice the picture problems as much.

take a poorly encoded dvd - on a crt the picture is fine with the odd noticeable artifact (especially with dust smoke etc), now watch this on a plasma display and the image is alot more artifact ridden everywhere; skin/walls, seem to have a weird glow about the picture - even better encoded dvds that have no such image problems on a crt, will show noticeable artifacting on a plasma (especially on walls or objects that fill large areas of the screen and is of one same colour)

dont get me wrong i do like my plasma screen, (when it is fed a good signal) but for tv/sky im sticking to my crt for the time being - i have a 32" widescreen plasma and a 37" 4:3 crt (which is bloody massive and takes up too much space compared to the slim plasma),

when in 16:9 mode the 37" will give me a 32" picture and i have to say i prefer the crt

the point of this rant is to ask why plasma displays are a bit behind (to me anyways)

it would be interesting to hear peoples comments on this

10. Panosg

Panosg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My opinion is that because the plasmas screen is so good it just shows the bad signal of the normal aerial input and Sky input. CRT screens just not showing that because there screen is allready bad.

11. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Part of this will be caused by the plasma screen being capable of resolving much more detail than the CRT is capable of.

If you have the AVIA test dvd, and select the "resolution" menu and then "resolution 100 TVL" you will notice on the CRT that the box on the bottom right hand side (marked 6.75 MHz) will mainly be just a blank circle with either very little or no verticle lines resolved. Try this test on your plasma and the box will be full of clearly defined verticle lines. This confirms that the plasma is capable of resolving much more detail than the CRT.

Having a display that is capable of resolving such fine detail is a double edged sword, because it will mean that although the screen is resolving everything there is to be had from the source signal, it also means that picture noise and artifacts that would be rendered virtually invisible on a CRT will be all too obvious on a plasma.

If the sharpness and contrast controls are overdriven this will also exaggerate any defects in the signal without adding any extra detail, but this applies to all types of display.

12. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I think the "problem" you are refering to is the limited colour depth on a Plasma compared with a CRT. This is most noticable when there is a large colour gradient.

However this is the only bad comment I can make regarding my Plasma. Every other "issue" is just down to poor sources, especially older programs which I'd rather not watch anyway...

Rob.