Plasma viewing in harrods

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by tomg, May 11, 2002.

1. tomg

tomg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a complete newbie so no flaming.
    Just got back from viewing plasmas in harrods and now I am even more confused. They all seemed very similar in quality, but its very difficult to compare accurately with different DVDs and players being used.
    Saw a BeoVision plasma playing the fifth element and that was amazing but at 12K for a 42 inch plasma is a bit over the top.
    Would this be an experts view, is the BeoVision 42 inch a cut above the rest or was it just configured better?
    Viewed a fujitsu PDS4234E, Panny TH42PW4B, Pioneer PDP433HDE and thomson 42WS90E3. I am not an expert in this and they all seemed fairly similar in terms of quality of picture, but then some were showing broadcast TV, others DVDs etc.
    The TH42PW4B which homecinemachoice magazine recommends did not seem so mind blowingly good as they made out.
    Dont really know what the point of this post is ....
    er, ok here is the question, how do I hook up my SCART devices such as pioneer itv digital box and sharp VCR to a plasma (for DVD I will probably get a tosh 510 DVD so can use component on that?). Also any recomendations on a AV receiver, I was considering a marantz 4200, can that do the necessary switching etc.
    My everyday viewing will be terrestial digital TV and the odd dvd and I was a little underwhelmed by what I saw in terms of tv reception on the plasmas but my lounge is so small a plasma is the best option I feel.
    Also can anyone recommend a few dealers in london where a better side by side comparison can be made. I was going to go up to one in baker st I saw recommended on here but didn't get time today. Any others people recommend.
    cheers for your time,
    tom

2. Mario Nicholas

Mario Nicholas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Never view a plasma in a store owned by a Fulham supporter, they never give a good display.

Boom Boom

:D :D

3. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look out for a guy on here called Joe Fernand I don`t know him but all his replies have been excellent on the forum that i have read and he seems to know everything about Plasmas .

4. Tom Braider

Tom Braider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You won't get much of an idea by watching different scenes on different screens. I too was in Harrods (puke puke) just to look at the screens. I spent some time watching Dinosaur on the Panasonic 42, and the Phantom pod race on the Pioneer 43, and accustomed myself to them both. Then I asked for the discs to be swapped over. It was a revelation. Blacks on the Panasonic became dark blue/purple on the Pioneer, and blue sky turned white. The pale buff sand of the pod race on the Pioneer turned into rich golden sand on the Panasonic, and everything was much clearer and colourful. There really wasn't any contest, and you would find it difficult to justify the extra £1500 or thereabouts for the Pioneer. No doubt owners of the Pioneer will now leap to its defence.

Harrods is probably the only place where you can view the Panasonic and the Pioneer almost side by side (plus the others too). Get someone to swap discs around for you and watch the same scenes on your chosen screens.

And what did I buy? The Panasonic. And not from Harrods. The Media Factory.

5. tomg

tomg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And what did you make of the BeoVision (?) screen. To me it looked the best... but at 12K a tad too much.
    You are absolutely right about viewing the same DVD on different screens. I feel another visit coming on
    thanks,
    tom

6. Tom Braider

Tom Braider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to specifically compare the Panasonic and Pioneer, so I only looked at the others whilst walking past. If it had been anything special I guess it would have caught my attention more, but it didn't. The Panasonic was definitely drawing more attention from casual passers-by though.