1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma vertical resolution and PAL

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TorAtle, Dec 20, 2002.

1. TorAtle

TorAtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most resonably priced plasmas have 480 vertical dots, and that suits the americans just fine. However here in europe we have what I believe 525 lines broadcast television. So in normal 16:9 mode we have a downscaling of the input signal.

However I was thinking. Most of what I watch on the telly is 4:3 material. I consistently chose the 4:3 mode the first week so the geometry would be right, but after living with the plasma for some months now I always use the 16:9 mode because of the bigger picture. Zoom croppes the picture too much for my liking. But what about something in between? If we stretch the picture 44 pixels vertically, we should get very close to the native resolution of the panel (525-480), thus adding detail. That and the fact that the picture is now more correct.

Is the above correct?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The usable vertical area of a PAL TV signal is actually 576 lines. So your 'zoom' idea, whilst nominally sound for non-anamorphic material, would probably end up with too much cropping for ideal use.

It's an interesting question though. Whilst it is theoretically true that the scaling done in a plasma (to fit 576 lines into 480 pixels) should diminish resolution - does it actually have a subjectively visible effect?

I've only viewed plasmas in shops. In these limited circumstances, I've never noticed anything that would alarm me in this respect. And, when offset against the geometry, convergence, bouncing and (often) peak white blooming that CRTs typically exhibit, at a subjective level, i tend to prefer Plasma over CRT. That said, I much prefer LCD (which in many cases has a similar resolution) over Plasma.

3. TorAtle

TorAtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's all a bit confusing. NTSC has theoritically 525 (480 visible) lines and PAL has 625 (576 visible) ?

Also I read an article this morning about digital satelite TV which actually could have up to 1200 lines in theory.

Subjectively I'd say that live broadcast on the major channels is very good, but there's this feeling that you're not seeing the whole picture so to speak...