1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma V Projector

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Clive Bird, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Clive Bird

Clive Bird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a novice when it comes to AV and I would appreciate any help on finding impartial information regarding the decision between Plasma, Projector or LCD. I want to replace my 56” rear projection TV (some I can connect my PC) so I would like some Large.
    The new screen will be used with DVD, Sky & PC any suggestions where I could get impartial information?

2. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Need to ask some questions before I can comment

• Whats your budget?
    • What size is your viewing room?
    • does closing the curtains to watch TV bother you?
    • What screen area are you looking at?
    • Do you have a surround setup in your viewing room?

Phil

3. Clive Bird

Clive Bird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    budget: about £6000

Room size 5m X 4.5m

The room has no windows! (converted double garage)

Screen min of 50"- Iam used to a 56" rear projection TV

Suround set up - Dennon AVC-AID, B&W 603 fronts, JBL centre, Mission rears & REL Q100 sub.

Clive

4. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    With a completely dark room CRT is going to take some beating for picture quality. Both LCD and DLP will be brighter and sharper but have compromises with regard to black level and the visibility of the structure of the panel used to form the picture (chicken wire effect). You may also find that you are sensitive to the colour seperation effect of DLP (rainbows) projectors. I don't think a plasma will do such a large room justice it's just not big enough.

I'm sure you will get plenty of advice with such a budget, a Barco 1209 with a faroudja scaler comes to mind and to use the magazine reviews favourite catchphrase will be 'breathtaking'.

5. RAMiAM

RAMiAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Coming from the CRT camp :)
    I currently have a Sony 1292 (a 9" tube CRT projector), also installed in a converted double garage.
    I've playing with the idea of purchasing a Plasms for a while, but find it hard to justify the cost given I already have the 1292.

IMHO I don't think you can beat a half way descent CRT projector for image quality, even more so when professionally calibrated/converged.

Given I already have the 1292 projecting true 1080p to an eight foot 16:9 screen I would hardly ever watch a DVD through the Plasma. So it would only really serve as a replacement TV for basic Sky viewing.

Now when you see and read users comments on normal terristeral or Digital viewing on a Plasma the results can be less than impressive.
    Again, IMHO and from personal viewing compared to a CRT projector a Plasma is only any good when viewing DVD, and then preferably progressive.
    Even then I personally don't think the picture is "great", it's good, especially for the size of some of the panels now available. But I yet to see a plasma that give the cinematic experience.
    This could also be down to people not properly calibrating their Plasma and using factory defaults which in most cases leaves a lot to be desired.

For £6k you could get quite a descent CRT projector with relatively low hours and excellent shape tubes.
    You would definately have money left for a Scaler and probably even something left over for someone to calibrate and converge it for you.

Trying to give a less biased opinion now :)
    One of the benefit that a plasma will have over a CRT projector is that it's easier to maintain on an on-going basis and is a general OK all purpose display - OK digital TV picture, Good DVD picture, Good Game console picture. In comparison the CRT will require "tweaking" every so often, which many people love and becomes a favourite past-time with many CRT projector owners. Also it's not "really" a general purpose display, although usually it will handle anything you throw at it.

If your after the big screen effect but after something easier to use, maintain and install you could also consider some of the newer DLP or even LCD projectors. Maybe check out Sim2 for DLP and the new VPL-VW12HT for LCD.

I would definately suggest auditioning all - CRT, LCD, DLP and Plasma and see which "float you boat" more. Probably need to weight up size of unit, picture quality, size of picture, etc.

Good luck in your choice.
    RAM

6. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Sound advice from RAMiAM.

Having seen his CRT projector with quality scaler in action, I have to say it's in a league above my 50" plasma. IMHO definately suits a converted double garage, and gives that cinematic experience in spades for DVDs.

RAMiAM's points about SkyDigital are equally as valid with a projector too -- it's the source that is the problem, not plasma screens per se. Digital television's bitrate of <2Mbps looks fine on a smaller CRT, but once you display the picture on a larger screen all the artifacts are magnified; and once you prog-scan it the chroma-bug is immediately apparent.

On the plasma plus side, PC picture looks awesome (although requires some tweaking to get just right).

StooMonster

7. RAMiAM

RAMiAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Mr. Stoomonster,

Thanks for the kind words.

He's absolutely correct, Digital reception and subsequent handling of the MPEG2 stream from within the Digibox sucks bit time with regard to CUE.
    You kinda notice somthing isn't right, especially with anything red. And then someone points it out and <<bam>> you just can't help seeing it. Once you see it you just can't stop seeing it :)
    This is irrelevant of display.
    Stoomonster invested wisely in an iScan Ultra which will remove the CUE from Sky and any other input (please correct me if I am wrong). Another domestic device to do this would be by Faroudja, possibly an NRS or even the ealier DVP processors.

Seeing as you have the room (double garage) you could benefit from a projector (CRT, DLP, LCD), just to give you a greater sized image. Although as I said previously they all have their pro's and con's and you can only really decide once you've had a chance to audition the options.

PC picture should look great on all the display types.
    The Plasma will have the edge over the DLP and LCD but a CRT will resolve a greater resolution. This being a "true" resolution, without the need to downsample the image to fit it's native resolution. What I mean by this is if you feed a Plasma/LCD/DLP anything above it's native res', say 1366x768 then it will actually downsample the input res to fit it's native res.
    As an example my CRT will resolve 2000x1600 with a possible RGB bandwidth of 125Mhz for that ultimate gaming experience :)

p.s., I think the word "downsample" is totally wrong but could not think of the right one - it was late :smashin:

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Though, from the posts above, it does not look necessary to add to the CRT PJ brigade I think I will.

For £6k you will get a brilliant CRT PJ (based on B4 prices, an 808s for just over £3k) a decent screen and scaler to match. In your light controlled room this will beat any plasma or DLP/LCD based projection system easily.

Get a CRT PJ and enjoy for years.:clap:

Have fun!

9. Clive Bird

Clive Bird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone I shal be checking out a CRT projector next weekend

Clive

10. voodooflux

voodooflux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I knew I shouldn't have read this thread. I'm currently coverting my 15" x 8" single garage into a dedicated "theatre" room, with the intention of sticking a 43 inch Pioneer plasma in there. But now you've all got me thinking...

Does anyone think this room would be too small for a projection system - I'd heard viewing distance figures of 8ft to 14ft for the plasma size I was considering, and I guess if I went the CRT projector route then I'd be considering a 6" - 7" screen?

Cheers
    v.f.

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    The members of the CRT brigade are (justifiably) proud of their choices. However, fixed panel devices (DLP, LCD) DO offer creditable alternatives and for some people (which includes me) are preferable.

At the end of the day, you might prefer CRT. Or you might not. You should not limit your shortlist based on the views of others who have already made their choice. It is a very personal thing.

Based on
    a) my own experience with a Sony VW10HT plus
    b) reports here and elsewhere covering the improvements that have been made in producing the VW11 and now VW12 models

I would suggest that, before committing to a given technolgy, you audition a VW12. You should also audition other LCD and DLP devices, compare them with CRTs and then decide, based on your own opinion.

Every technology (yes, including CRT) has its limitations and they are all different.

For example - LCD tends to have poorer contrast than CRT and DLP. But this difference is getting less and less.

DLP has its rainbows - makes people with fast vision dizzy. Nasty. But only if it affects you.

CRTs - need careful setting up and need recalibrating from time to time - they drift out of alignment. Some people will see refresh rate flickering.

This is by no means a total list of what might affect you. I can only repeat - look at all technologies and choose what you find most comfortable to watch.

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get a brand new Barco 708 for around £4000. Personally speaker from comparing LCD, Plasma and CRT front/rear I would go in order of preference...

1) CRT Front Projection
    2) CRT Rear Projection
    3) CRT Direct view, ie 36"
    4) Plasma
    5) LCD Front/Rear Projection

Or you could get a 14" TV, and spend the rest on beer!:p

13. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well, as an owner of items 3) and 5) I would prefer them in this order:

3) LCD FP (Sanyo Z1)
    97) CRT Direct view (Philips 36PW9525)

You can fill items 1) & 2) however you want. Above the item 97) are stuff like a bucketful of dung etc.

:rolleyes: