1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma v Projector

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stephen Wilde, May 2, 2005.

1. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    My brother has the Home Cinema setup of the year installed by Dawsons. Had a look at it over the weekend and compared it with my humble 50" Fujitsu 5004 Plasma.
    To my eyes it lacked the detail and vivid picture of the plasma despite hugely higher cost.
    The reason appears to be the need to spread the pixels over a much larger area.
    To me sitting close to a 50" display is better than sitting well away from a much larger display. A similar portion of the viewer's field of vision is occupied by the display in both cases and the visibility of defects is much the same but the plasma has greater impact and can be watched without the need for a darkened room.
    Of course I didn't dare say any of this to him and he doesn't read this forum as far as I know.
    With the advent of 1920x1080 plasmas do projectors have any future where viewing is limited to up to say 5 or so individuals rather than commercial audiences?

2. krlock2

krlock2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats a big question with a lot of possible answers.

not that many people can afford the dawsons home cinema of the year, and plasmas suit some and pjs others. often, the type of use and environment in which the equipment is used are the most significant factors.

for myself personally, i have a 5x6m home cinema room and full light control. the sheer impact of a 106" screen completelty blows me away when watching films. however, during the summer i dont wish to sit in a darkened room, and prefer my CRT. I would of course prefer a plasma to a crt, but honestly when i compare plasma and pj i often marvel at the pj image compared to flat screen tvs, especially LCDS (sorry just one mans opinion). plasmas are looking better and better, but i will wait until HDTV is becoming more widespread, and wait and see how plasmas are priced then.

for now, my pj rocks my socks and is actually far cheaper than a "good" plasma. my upgrade route now is totally based on HD or HDdvd ... see how the technology is then, and until then i will sit on the fence and be happy with what i have.

theres my 2 cents

3. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    How far away from your screen do you sit and what resolution is available to you ? 106" is obviously a great setup but it depends on distance and resolution as to whether you are getting a better viewing experience than alternative technologies.
    I agree that HD is the way forward and will help all technologies if used by them but the 'field of vision' aspect is critical to evaluation of cost and quality yet it is rarely considered.Why is that?