1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma v LCD

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by chrisw, Nov 24, 2004.

1. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I'm a newbie to Plasma & LCD and would like some advice - I'm sure many other people have asked the same question, but I can't seem to find a discussion anywhere - maybe this should become a sticky?

Anyway, I'm thinking of going the flatscreen route, with a budget of around £2.5k. I love the look of the Viera plasma's and see that everyone on this forum raves about them, but am concerned that if I buy one in will be obselete in a few short years.

Can someone advise what the main differences are between LCDs and Plasmas, and recommend a couple of decent 37" + screens? I will be watching DVDs & Sky only.

Also is there anything worth waiting for? I might hold off until early next year if there is.

2. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    i know you have searched, but this has been covered many times. Id have another go :)

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The contrast range on LCD is not as good as plasma. This means that you could have trouble resolving darker pictures. Also, the colour rendition of LCD's is supposed to be poorer, which is also the reason why they are not recommended for PC's for photographic work. Plasmas use phosphors which are very similar to those used on CRT's.

Take a look at the Panasonic and Hitachi range of plasmas - they seem to be favourites on here at the mo.