1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma v DLP

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by YorkieAnd, May 19, 2005.

1. YorkieAnd

YorkieAnd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've been thinking of buying a plasma for a while now and have been waiting for the new panasonic 500 series to come out and see what customers think. I am a bit of a novice compared to most of you people when it comes to the techie side of things but want something around 42" that is "HD ready". However yesterday I popped in to Comet and was drawn to the Sagem 45" DLP. I was really just looking but was soon approached by the salesman who told me that it was the best TV in the shop and the technology was much better than plasma. Now I know these guys will tell you anything to get a sale. However the picture, which he told me was a HD picture, was absolutely brilliant. Unfortunately I've not seen a HD picture on a plasma screen yet to compare.
    I was just wondering what people on here, with more knowledge of the two technologies than me, think is the better.
    Thanks for any help.

2. YorkieAnd

YorkieAnd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any help out there? Please!

3. Orangelo

Orangelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no doubt that DLP is THE technology when it comes to front projection. Cinemas across the world (across the US should I say :rolleyes: ) are using DLP digital projecting units that mount the 2K cinema chips.

However, I would not buy the Sagem. It is not the technology, it's the "rear projection inside a box" concept that I don't like.

4. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I did a lot of research on DLP, and I would suggest that if you're looking at this as your main viewing source for family entertainment, that you DEMO, DEMO, DEMO, and make sure you have all the family with you!

DLP looks great on paper, but I discovered very quickly that I am one of those people who suffer from the "rainbow effect" - badly. This is an effect by which you see flashes of red,green, and blue light across the screen, particularly if you move your eyes, or head quickly.

This is down to the "colour wheel" that is used in the units.

I've demo'd nearly every manufacturers DLP sets too, and although the effect does differ in severity from one to the other, I always notice it.

The cinema projection units tend to use three DMD chips (one for red, green, and blue), and therefore negate the requirement for a "colour wheel", but as the majority of DLP Rear Pro systems use a single DMD chip, they use the colour wheel to produce the colour image.

You might not suffer with the problem, but other family members might do, and therefore spending between 1K and 3K for a tv that you're not getting the best image from, or may cause eye strain, could cause some tension amongst family members!

If you're all rainbow free, then its a good (and cheaper option) for big screen viewing.

Once I realised that I had this issue, I started to look at Plasma, and have been waiting for the new HDTV compatible range from Panasonic to be made available (and have one on order - the TH-42PV500B).

Those people who have DLP sets will no doubt tell you they are better than Plasma, and vice versa. Lets face it, everyone is going to justify their own purchase!

There are plus and minus points to each technology (well documented in the forums, and on the internet), so I would advise doing some research, and getting those demo's in to see what you think is best for you and your family.

All the best.

T.

5. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The main advantage dlp has over plasma is price imo, unless you buy the sony qualia.

6. Bengbeng

Bengbeng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Although they mention very good viewing angles in the specs, i see lots of color/brightness changings when i change my viewing angle on a DLP rptv. If you can't or won't chain yourself in the middle in front of the screen I think it's not your cup of tea.

However, if you want to juice up your relationship with your wife then DLP is nice, because you're forced to sit close to each other. :D

7. YorkieAnd

YorkieAnd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your comments. Much appreciated!

8. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hmmm now theres a reason for the plasma :D :D :D :D

9. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Ah, but the Qualia isn't DLP - its a derivitive of Lcos called SXRD (if we're talking about the RPTV).

It's going to be interesting to see how the SED technology progresses, as this has the potential to be the best replacement for CRT direct view TV sets, and will scale out to the larger sizes that we need for Home Cinema.

10. Orangelo

Orangelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TonyA, you must bear in mind that plasmas also suffer from rainbows, for different reasons but the result is pretty much the same. I have yet to find a person who can spot rainbows in a DLP and not see them in a plasma.

11. mishmash

mishmash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hey you and me most be the same guy because I did exactly the same. I am going to get a big screen tv for my little front room and was thinking plasma, plasma, plasma, but went into Comet for a nose around and saw that Sagem running an HDTV feed from a PC. I went wow and even my gf who would of prefered to be in Dorothy Perkins went wow.

I have spent the last 48 hours in forums here and on other forums checking out this Sagem model and so far it looks as though it will fit the bill for me. I have a very large DVD collection and watching them on my ten year old Ferguson 24" was just not on anymore. I probably will buy this Sagem TV from Comet although I'll try and strike a deal in store as I know they sell it £200 cheaper from their website.

12. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw my first dlp before the models hit the shops and was knocked out. I did a 180 degree walk around the screen and was still very impressed. The cost of the lamp was and may still be an isssue - but on price, power consumption, brightness and potential reliability I was convinced they'd win over expensive plasmas.

Then 18 months later with high expectations, I walked into Curry's or Comet and saw a consumer model on display. As I walked around the screen I was very aware of decreasing brightness, even 25 -30 degrees off centre - and it happens in the vertical plane as well. It just wasn't the same animal I'd previewed. At the same time, plasmas were humming away some 90 degree plus off centre and with very bright pictures.

I thought of the family gathering around the screen viewing at 50 degrees or so, or visitors entering a room with the screen set in one corner and dismissed this particular model completely. The front panel optical path, materials and design may have been too expensive in prototypes, and been compromised on costs. If the manufacturer quotes a viewing angle, I'd like that expressed as a function of brightness please! I wondered afterwards what the little mirrors and colour wheel might do with a sub-woofer close by.

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I've installed a few big rear pros as boardroom fodder. The very expensive DNP screens are good, over 90 degrees at virtually full brightness. I wonder if the 1st one you saw as a better screen than the production ones. They may have found that it was not economic to use the very best grade.