1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plasma v 36" tv

Discussion in 'TVs' started by leedsfireman, Apr 20, 2002.

1. leedsfireman

leedsfireman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi, i have a panny tx 36pf10 which i am considering selling in the near future, i am thinking of dipping my toe in the plasma area and have heard the 42" panny gets good reviews. Are the plasma picture as good as tv for dvds or better or worse. i will be using a tsh sd210e dvd.
    many thanx,
    andy.

2. PlasmaIan

PlasmaIan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i have toshiba plasma (identical to panasonic - OEM) and DVD's are brilliant picture using my sony dav800 player + SVid connection. previously only had 28" set (not widescreen) so anything was going to be better.

if buy panasonic check how going to connect your other equipment to plasma (s video lead overides the AV input) plasmas have no scart inputs like tv's. shops say yes anything can be played through plasma but do not mention that can not have all pluged in at same time...
    I am getting a lead for sky to the RGB on plasma but this still leaves me having to unplug the S video to play video player using AV socket

anyone know how to get the video to playback via the sky box - does sky + offer anymore options ?

3. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will surely be better, at least better picture in most cases.
    Just take care that you might lose some nice TV features with plasma.
    I know Sky+ can do a lot but it is not ideal solution
    Cheers

p.s check NEC 42MP3, apparently very good and not sooo expensive

4. Sly Fox

Sly Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I occasionaly look at different plasma displays lined up for comparison at local stores. I'm impressed about the improvements over the last few months. The source and equipment sure plays a major role. But something bothers me on all plasma displays I've seen so far; color transition!

At one local store they usualy show deep ocean scenes filmed facing towards water surface. Unfortunately the transition from dark blue to light blue was not continuous. It had patches just as if you would degrade a color foto from true color down to 256 colors or lower. I don't know what you would call this: grey scale, color depth? On crt monitors transition was clean and continuous as one would expect.

Just have a closer look for this effect before changing from CRT to Plasma.

5. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    PlasmaIan, if you get a vga to rgb box from http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/
    then you can connect scart to the box and the box via vga cable to your vga socket. If you want to connect more than one scart maybe consider a Quattro scart box from Lektropaks.
    The s-video limitations you have would be surpassed, in that you could have something in s-video still and scart via vga which would not cancel either out. ;)

6. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hey we have similar names and identical TV sets.
    I too own a TX-36PF10. I don't care what people say - I've seen plasma, projection tv, cinema's and BIg solid screen still kick a better picture for 'everyday' use (curtains open).

I would love to have a plasma or even better a projection, but only in the evening with the lights off or dimmed down very low - thanks

7. Sly Fox

Sly Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the picture of your direct view crt TV is calibrated correctly then either a plasma display nor a rear projection TV can beat it.

Plasma display can't reproduce the grey scale / color depth of crt TV's. Rear projection TV's have convergence and alignment problems of the three color panels inside. I don't see a good reason for having an expensive plasma display or a rear projection TV except if the display size is an issue.

If possible, I'd go for a good projector!