PLASMA TVs shame they had to go !

flashgordon1952

Standard Member
I have currently have three plasma Tv in use here ! Pioneer PDP435PE 43 inch with module and sound bar 720P Panasonic 42 2007/8 1080P and a 7th/8th generation Panasonic plasma ! I find them excellent for sky Formula one ,which is in 4K and Amazon and Netflix.
So impressed with both the earlier Plasmas , I got rid of my Toshiba 40 3 year old non SMART technology TV ! What I liked about my newer Panasonic was the fact it has a Satellite tuner built in , however not a HD one ! All three work superb ! Considering there age ,in particular the Pioneer , they work superb !(re-con)
Think it was a question of "if only" with Plasma TVs in general ! a 9th Generation plasma would be truly awesome indeed. , also not to be .due to the fact they eat power and all that plasma gas and glass. EU ruling I believe ? and back breaking especially a 60 inch screen at 50 kgs
Will I buy another ? yes! without a doubt my next I hope will be a KURO ,at a sensible price ! However the price of them is unbelievable at the moment ,anything from £150 to £600 for a 8th generation 50 inch 1 I even saw a new ? one up for sale for £1500 wow! on Ebay . I am still struggling how it is possible new ones are still being sold ,there is no warranty on them anymore ! or is there ?? I wonder what happens if someone approached Pioneer about there warranty if anything should go wrong with it within 1 year or is the buyer only protected for 30 days ? What does the Forum think on this ???

wiz

Distinguished Member
My wife says I have gas! ;) 😂

johnny-17

I had a Pioneer PDP436XDE back in the day and I thought it was the best TV EVER !
Why would I buy another now, without a decent warranty etc ? Why would I even consider it, given that it’s a long dead technology ?
Too much future stuff too consider......

UPTHEOWLS

I have had my Calibrated Pioneer KRP 500A for over 8.5 years still over the moon with it......:D still in my mind the best picture quality and blacks i have ever seen including the new OLEDS of today.

I would not worry over Warranty if mine packed up today !!! i would just go out and get another one no problem.

I had a AVforum Member over last weekend to a listen to my AV system and he was so impressed with the KURO Picture Quality the Blacks the Motion he was gobsmacked :eek: as he had not seen a Kuro tv in action before.

johnny-17

And which supplier would you buy from ?

I would like to say that you will have a better carbon footprint by not upgrading very often, but the vast amount of energy you consume cancels it all out :devil:

Enjoy it while you still can......

flashgordon1952

Standard Member
I had a Pioneer PDP436XDE back in the day and I thought it was the best TV EVER !
Why would I buy another now, without a decent warranty etc ? Why would I even consider it, given that it’s a long dead technology ?
Too much future stuff too consider......

flashgordon1952

Standard Member
I only Paid £75 for the Pioneer PDP 435PE only 3 months ago i and got a 3 month warranty. with it. The other two Plasma I bought within a month of each other paid £50 and a huge amount of £72 for the 7th generation one. Dead technology I think not ! How many LED /LCD 4k TVs will last more than 4 years ? answer none ! Even from a TV that is 12 years old (reconditioned 4 moths ago) it is still very good for me. I only live in a one bedroom flat (ground floor ) and no point having a new AV system is there??? and cannot put anything on the wall as have paper walls here
To me compared with a Chinese made bit of rubbish with something UK built to last ! I will have another one but I go for the KURO

flashgordon1952

Standard Member
I have had my Calibrated Pioneer KRP 500A for over 8.5 years still over the moon with it......:D still in my mind the best picture quality and blacks i have ever seen including the new OLEDS of today.

I would not worry over Warranty if mine packed up today !!! i would just go out and get another one no problem.

I had a AVforum Member over last weekend to a listen to my AV system and he was so impressed with the KURO Picture Quality the Blacks the Motion he was gobsmacked :eek: as he had not seen a Kuro tv in action before.

flashgordon1952

Standard Member
The Kuro is the best Plasma ever made (note my Panasonic 7th/8th generation is very good built in late 2010 I believe the 46 inch is better than my Pioneer PDP435PE only because of the 4 HDMI and Satellite are better. okay the picture is probably better by a small margin compared with 720P Pioneer but the Pioneer has the better sound through the sound bar ! I missed out on a early KURO on Ebay because of no speaker or stand on the 50 inch I gather it sold for £80 but think it was 2008 I wont buy a TV that been on a wall

flashgordon1952

Standard Member
Not bothered about carbon foot prints ! I don't drive a diesel and never been abroad on a plane since 89. Plasma problem was expensive to make and the fact the screen was made of glass. !
The EU put out rules to stop the manufacture of them , which to me is shame ,yes they eat electricity(note the KURO and 8th gen ones was better ) But how many HISENSE LCD 50 inch TVs will last more than 3 years ? and how many guys will have them in 4 years time. NONE I suspect ! Not to say the picture even on the 4K version is not good because it is , but being built in China you do not know what will fall off the TV (joking off course) But they are made by the thousand and build quality like all Chinese made TVs is very suspect indeed

keveen

I have currently have three plasma Tv in use here ! Pioneer PDP435PE 43 inch with module and sound bar 720P Panasonic 42 2007/8 1080P and a 7th/8th generation Panasonic plasma ! I find them excellent for sky Formula one ,which is in 4K and Amazon and Netflix.
So impressed with both the earlier Plasmas , I got rid of my Toshiba 40 3 year old non SMART technology TV ! What I liked about my newer Panasonic was the fact it has a Satellite tuner built in , however not a HD one ! All three work superb ! Considering there age ,in particular the Pioneer , they work superb !(re-con)
Think it was a question of "if only" with Plasma TVs in general ! a 9th Generation plasma would be truly awesome indeed. , also not to be .due to the fact they eat power and all that plasma gas and glass. EU ruling I believe ? and back breaking especially a 60 inch screen at 50 kgs
Will I buy another ? yes! without a doubt my next I hope will be a KURO ,at a sensible price ! However the price of them is unbelievable at the moment ,anything from £150 to £600 for a 8th generation 50 inch 1 I even saw a new ? one up for sale for £1500 wow! on Ebay . I am still struggling how it is possible new ones are still being sold ,there is no warranty on them anymore ! or is there ?? I wonder what happens if someone approached Pioneer about there warranty if anything should go wrong with it within 1 year or is the buyer only protected for 30 days ? What does the Forum think on this ???
Just retiring my 10+ year Samsung Plasma for a 4K. And true, the plasma screen is excellent and much better for all legacy tv. The clarity is really very good - recorded a film on ITV4 and it looks like HD. Plus the build is solid. So heavy I found it difficult to lift it - solid metal body and glass screen I think. These 4K tvs are terrible for most old tv and film producing a ghastly plastic "soap opera" effect. Not quite what anybody wants. I want to watch my recordings how they were intended to be watched. The new tvs should have an SD setting. Upscaling ruins the original effect. I recorded a film from an HD channel and my new tv does the same plastic effect. Hard to get rid off - have to OFF most settings.
The new TVs go wth theory rather than what people want. On the other hand the new 49 inch screen showing purpose made content is great, amazing, but what about 100 years of legacy tv and film!

flashgordon1952

Standard Member
Just retiring my 10+ year Samsung Plasma for a 4K. And true, the plasma screen is excellent and much better for all legacy tv. The clarity is really very good - recorded a film on ITV4 and it looks like HD. Plus the build is solid. So heavy I found it difficult to lift it - solid metal body and glass screen I think. These 4K tvs are terrible for most old tv and film producing a ghastly plastic "soap opera" effect. Not quite what anybody wants. I want to watch my recordings how they were intended to be watched. The new tvs should have an SD setting. Upscaling ruins the original effect. I recorded a film from an HD channel and my new tv does the same plastic effect. Hard to get rid off - have to OFF most settings.
The new TVs go wth theory rather than what people want. On the other hand the new 49 inch screen showing purpose made content is great, amazing, but what about 100 years of legacy tv and film!

flashgordon1952

Standard Member
Keveen ! is right about many things he has noticed ! The size of screen on a 42/50 inch Plasma ie Pioneer and Panasonic are excellent. Had the impression Phillips LG and Samsung was not a s good mainly because unlike Panasonic ,in particular produced more models and constantly improving there models to the point of up to 3 models introduced in any one year ! ie changing the models numbers and letters ) they also produced very good LCD models running alongside the Plasma . But the Plasma models was generally made top of the range to middle range prices to fight Pioneer Rolls Royce model prices. anything up to £4k for them .
As far upscaling and down scaling I just put the Tv on auto settings on both the Pioneer and Panasonics . What I have notice on auto settings ie sounds and picture settings that music is very loud compared with speech ie The Queen on Netflix. yet the Pioneer with its very good sound bar music and speech is good on all levels of sound. Does 720 P compare with 1080p on the 7/8 th generation Pioneer vs Panasonic ! ? not a great deal of difference ,because the size of screen is 43 compared with 46 on the Panasonic !
Again these are just my observation and have never compared the 7/8th Gen Panasonic against a Hisense or cheap label 4k in the real world !

johnny-17

The Panasonic GZ2000 is perhaps the modern equivalent of the old Pioneers, with tweaked custom panels and Dolby Atmos etc.
You do pay for this, although my Pioneer was £2600 when new.
This was the best in class in my opinion and you could tell that they were quality compared to others.

flashgordon1952

Standard Member
they was expensive if you wanted the best and £2600 is not one of the expensive Pioneers either Pioneer has always been the Rolls Royce of TVs back in the day ie before 2010 ! Nothing compared with the KURO or its price either. Panasonic did make a top of the range TV with satellite with something called a mask I have no idea what that meant . I have the Viera TX P46 G20B 2010 model which is only NEO Plasma not the best one they made but second best . They tried there best to be as good as Pioneer KURO but for the average punter it was more than good enough

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom