1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plasma tv's on ebay

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by aood42, Sep 23, 2003.

1. aood42

aood42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noticed ebay selling plasma tv's for dirt cheap prices,
    are these rip off scams.
    has anyone bought or bidded for one of these tv's?

any advice would be gratefull as these are very tempting at these prices.

2. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There are almost certainly some legit sellers there but probably a lot of dodgy scams too. Lots of articles on these in the past and you may notice a lot of the auctions "dissapear" as Ebay staff root them out and get rid.

Remember the old saying "If sometheing sounds too good to be true then it probably is"

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I have to agree with codlord.
    £2K for a plasma may be cheap if you actually get it, but its a lot of money to loose if you don't. IMO its just not worth the risk. Also if there are any problems with it what sort of support would you get from the seller?

Mark.

4. McBain

McBain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I actually emailed the seller of one of these "bargain" plasmas. Turned out to be someone in Spain, who couldn't write English too well. The dodgiest part was the payment - I was told that if I was interested they would settle outside of Ebay and the payment process involved various Western Union transfers under different names etc. etc. Thought it was suss at the time, and after a quick google search, found stories of other people getting scammed in exactly the way described in the email I got..

5. aood42

aood42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the advice thought it was too good to be true bit to much of a gamble.

this is a reply from one of the sellers selling a 42"sony plasma

Greetings,

I know that you have many choices on eBay and I appreciate that you contacted me.
    I've decided to restrict the bidding for my auction,because of the multiple problems that I have had with non paying bidders.

The price for this unit would be GBP 1,400.00 and for the pair ( two units same kind is GBP 2,200.00) including shipping/handling and insurance.

The products are brand new,completely working and come in an unopened box.
    I ship with all accessories described in my auction and the units have three years UK warranty. The items I am offering are authentic and comes with a certificate of authenticity. The units use a 220-240V power supply and will work properly in UK and EU ,because they use the PAL TV system .You can watch sky, Tv,video's,DVD's and any other inputs you desire ie computer hard drive, with the correct leads.

The units are being shipped from Germany and it will be done through UPS 2 days air insured .

I looking forward to hearing from you soon
    regards

6. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    A fool and his money.............

:)

7. ziocleto

ziocleto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, dont trust them at all, all buggers...
    I think the only way to buy plasma on ebay is this:

1) Assure that you can collect the plasma and see it working properly

2) Dont, for any reason, pay with western union or other wire transfer service, it's very easy to setup a fake account and it's the most used system for this type of scums.

3) Dont buy anything referred as: brand new boxed, sealed, whatever, that is noticably less than the best price you can get on-line, they are scums as well.

4) Check the IP address of the person is selling the plasma, if he's currently in UK and the auction is genuine then you are on the right way.

4a) If the IP address comes from any other country, especially Spain and Italy it's a fake 100%.

5) All the "free postage" auctions are fakes as scums as well, selling a plasma from Italy or Spain to UK will cost more than the actual plasma price ;) (I checked in a post office when I was in italy, just for curiosity)

6) Usually genuine auctions are people that sells plasma used and they put a picture of their plasma working, avoid people that cut'n'paste pictures and specs from internet without saying anything personal about the plasma, scums.

With this basic rules you should be able to avoid most of the buggers, but remember the most important one, point 1) :)

8. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I normally just offer to pay by ESCROW, you never hear anything else from them then.

Wish there was someway to annoy these folk as much as they annoy me.

RAD

9. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend of my Dad's was ripped off by someone in Spain offering dirt cheap plasmas via Ebay. Don't do it!!

I have to laugh at some of the ads offering Grand WEGAs for £1,500!!

10. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Be aware that there variations on the scam.

The normal way is to get you to pay via Western Union, the scammer then goes into a Western Union agent (in Italy, Spain or wherever) shows the ID and collects the money - Goodbye.

A variation on this scam is to show you (via the e-mail) some empathy to the risks of Western Union and recommend you still send via Western Union but put the recipient's name as your wife or girlfriends. Upon succesful receipt of the Plasma you are to contact Western Union to change the recipient's name to the one they give you. Again, this is rubbish, all they simply do is go to a Western Union agent with a fake ID in your wife or girlfriends name, collect the money - Goodbye.

Another method is to recommend an escrow company. They give you the web address to the one they use, you have a look, it all seems OK so you send your money. Unfortunately it is the scammers that have set-up a fake escrow so once you send the funds, they collect - Goodbye.

You quite often notice that the 'too good to be true' offers are Private Auctions only. As soon as you contact the seller, asking for info and to be admitted, they will E-Mail and try to deal with you direct and if they think they are getting somewhere with you they will withdraw the auction. Note that often these auction will have a location as being somewhere in the UK but if you look closely at when they first registered you will see that they're shown as being in the US (or somewhere abroad). They will often refer to their ebay trading record as proof that you can trust them. In fact what is really going on here is that they have hijacked a genuine ebayer's profile and sign-on. Just look at their history to see wht they've sold before and usually you will find that it is low value tat and then all of a sudden they are selling Plasmas, Laptop PCs and Video Cameras.

Finally, when you bid on a genuine Plasma auction (I bought mine by winning an auction with Crampton & Moore) you will very quickly receive E-Mails written in bad English from all sorts of scammers trying to offer an unbelievable deal direct. Some will offer a great price but will ask you to not send the money in full but send a deposit, they will then send the Plasma and then you send the remainder of the money. Well, as mentioned above, you send the deposit, they collect it - Goodbye. The scammers are quite happy to just rip you off for the deposit, they'll still get £300 out of you (or whatever figure you agree).

I've done a fair amount of research on this after I was ripped off £1,400 so I know from bitter experience. I'm sure that there are other variations to the ones I've detailed but essentially they are all trying to do the same thing which is rip you off. So tread carefully.

11. ziocleto

ziocleto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And adding to my previous points:

7) Take a look at the history of the seller, if the seller is used to sell high tech hardware then it's on the right way,
    if it used to sell/buy things like cutlery/dolls any of this low prices thingies then it's probably a stolen ebay ID.
    DONT BID ON THAT.

8) Genuine ebay shops that deal with plasma are usually ok, apart from the fact that they tend to sell old plasmas at very high prices and new plasmas at retail prices, so not a big deal here. And most of the time they make you pay a lot (of course) for the shipping.

9) If you bid on plasma NEVER reply and/or TRUST people that leave you emails with a better offer, if you re-read my points between 1-6 you'll find why!

10) I dont remember what I had to write, but there's a number 10 :)

12. mseabroo

mseabroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Oh yeah and don't forget, every plasma comes with a free genuine father Christmas. :devil:

13. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also, if you say to them you'll be in germany/spain/italy at some point in the next week or two, can you collect the plasma then they back down too (or so someone told me!)

14. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +661
    I have just wated about two hours looking at plasmas on ebay. Emailed a few of the sellers and got responses as detailed above. I have often wondered how they get all that positive feedback and now I know, they steel someones user id. Scumbags the lot of them!!! (Good prices though)

15. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL good prices! I have a whole house full of imaginery plasmas! You can have one for £1,500! Do we have a deal? ;)

16. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Anything on eBay that involves paying through Western Union is a scam.

EDIT: anything that involves paying through Western Union is a scam; except, say, transfering money to members of your family, and you might not even trust them!

The eBay plasma scams are extremely well documented on the web, and even this very forum (try a search, some people actually lost money).

"There's a sucker born every minute" -- P.T. Barnum
    Or did he really say that?

StooMonster