Plasma TVs no longer available!!?

rommi

Established Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something?
I am the proud owner of a Panasonic P50 G30 B

I need another TV, but Richer Sounds only have a VT65 listed (too big)

Are Plasmas effectively gone?

Are any LED/OLED TVs out there anywhere near the speed/response/quality of Plasma?

:( sad times

Answering my own question. Panasonic are out. Samsung are about to be out. Leaving LG only?
:(
What is everyone gonna do!

went to look at getting a new tele for kitchen today, pc world have hunfreds of tele's but only 2 Plasma's on display it seems to be all LED's now. They do look nice very thin and all that but the picture looks more animate than a real picture you get on Plasma or CRT. In a dilema what to do now, do i get a discontinued model plasma or an all dancing samrt LED, being the kitchen which is quiet light i may just get away with it.

Hope this is OK for this thread, but I have never seen any of the Forums relating to AV around the world be as quiet as this. It just seems like there is nothing left to talk about. :(

Plasma TVs are power hungry and have been banned by the EU. Also, I think some US states have banned plasma TVs.

The EU are gradually working their way through the household electrical equipment and weeding out the most wasteful. The aim is to reduce Europe's energy needs.

Not heard of them being banned by the EU, and I am sure there are far more wastes of energy than a Plasma TV.

Yes - banned by an EU directive.

As from 1st September vacuum cleaners above 1600W cannot be sold or imported in EU countries - another EU directive. Another ban.

And it's ridiculous. Your now pathetic hoover has to be used for twice as long to get all the bits up.
I think they're having a go at electric heaters next - so you'll need twice as many for the same heat output. Absolutely stupid.
We can all see our electric bills going up so we use electricity wisely anyway. This should be done through education, not regulation.
If I want a plasma that uses lots of electricity and I'm willing to pay the bills for it, that should be my choice.

The aim is to reduce Europe's energy consumption.

Next on the list, the EU is to ban other high-wattage goods: hair dryers, smartphones and kettles. This will be followed up by banning certain lawn mowers under new EU regulations.

Plasma TVs are just one of many electrical items banned by the EU.

I can't wait to try boiling water for 6 people in a 100W kettle. Surely taking longer to boil will use more energy overall than a quick 3kW kettle. Haven't these rule makers got any common sense? As someone once said, common sense isn't very common...

How many people fill a 3KW kettle up with water and only take a cup full when boiled? Apparently there is a huge number and is very wasteful - people need to be re-educated and I think this move by the EU is attempting to focus peoples attention on wasting energy.

All this banning of popular high-powered electrical items (like plasma TVs) by the EU will make people angry and that is understandable. Roll on OLED TVs!

Yes - banned by an EU directive.

As from 1st September vacuum cleaners above 1600W cannot be sold or imported in EU countries - another EU directive. Another ban.
Can you link me to this as I can find nothing regarding a PDP ban.

Sorry Alan that's regarding Vacuum Cleaners, nothing about PDP's?

You amended your post, it read "Can you link me to this" originally.

I suggest you carry out your own search - I'm out.

You amended your post, it read "Can you link me to this" originally.

I suggest you carry out your own search - I'm out.

Sorry Alan I realised the way it read was the answer you gave so I clarified the question (my bad). No offence intended...........just I like to keep abreast of some of the daft EU directives..........and it would not surprise me in the slightest if they did ban PDP.:)

So when these people fill their 1kW kettle full they will just have to wait longer for their 1 cup of water. It will use the same total amount of energy to boil 6 cups of water whether you use a 1kW ketlle or 3kW. So it's stupid.
Tele1962 - There's this scaremongering report from 2009:
Power hungry plasma screen televisions to be banned under new EU legislation - Telegraph

which goes on to say that pdps wouldn't actually be banned but their consumption would be cut so in the end they just wouldn't be bright enough.

There is no ban on Plasma TVs. There are limits on power consumption, but modern plasmas can be engineered to be within them. The main reason that manufacturers have stopped making them is that there's no profit in them any more. The plasma screens are very expensive to produce, and the number of people prepared to pay a premium for them is very low. I suspect that even LG will stop producing them in the future.

Pioneer produced this statement in 2009 to clarify the scaremongering that was around at the time:

Plasma TV energy efficiency: the truth.

I think it's likely that the EU power regulations did create difficulties for Panasonic, at least back in 2011. Since then they seem to have improved their designs and the models last year were a fair bit brighter. However, as wonderful as their final year plasmas were, you still have to wonder if the regulations have impacted on picture quality in some way.

The EU power formula for TVs is given in this table:

1m5Apx6RVGhtgIuYvFmUTA7rXdTg.png

dm2 = demimetres squared

Last edited:
But what has it got to do with them? If we are willing to pay for the electricity usage we should be allowed to. The big problem as I see it is that the governments haven't foreseen our electricity usage going up year on year, haven't built any new power stations to cope with the increased demand, so to cover their own backs have said that we aren't allowed to use the power that we want to.
And of course the power restrictions have affected picture quality. Plasmas never were the brightest, but the plasmas from 2-3-4 years ago suffered with poor contrast and are still limited now. They should be able to go as bright as the panel can handle, not some number decreed by an EU penpusher who has no idea what he's doing. Probably.

The aim is to reduce Europe's energy consumption.

Next on the list, the EU is to ban other high-wattage goods: hair dryers, smartphones and kettles. This will be followed up by banning certain lawn mowers under new EU regulations.

Plasma TVs are just one of many electrical items banned by the EU.

How can smartphones be power hungry? They run on batteries and when you charge them you've connected it via USB.

Plasma TVs are power hungry and have been banned by the EU. Also, I think some US states have banned plasma TVs.

The EU are gradually working their way through the household electrical equipment and weeding out the most wasteful. The aim is to reduce Europe's energy needs.
I don't think plasma are banned by the EU, it power cap that kill off plasma's. And sales were falling year on year.

A lot killed plasma.
Poor marketing, not bright enough, too thick, heavy, higher energy use, Less profit, IR, Screen burn, hard to make 4k....goes on and on.

Its sad because they had/have a great contrast level, actually use very little more energy, aren't that heavy, many LED sets are now as if not more thick, burn is very rare and often confused with IR, 4k is pointless IMO for the next few years (depth and colour are more important IMO).

Basically it comes down to profit, LEDs make more, a lot gets spent on buying inferior sets IMO, sure some are very good, but like for like plasma is better, real shame its not plasma and OLED but it was always going to happen sadly, power regs and 4k just sealed it.

With LG and Samsung following Panasonic, I guess most retailers have decided to stop selling the odd model, and put plasma out of its misery. Still a few sets at Argos, John Lewis, etc.
Guess I waited too long to pick up a GT60 bargain :(

Nothing in the current news (that I have seen) mentions a ban - only stories I can see are from a few years back.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom