Plasma TVs. Next target for the green lobby?

loz

Now they have succeeding in alienating everyone against 4x4's - causing a downturn in sales - will Plasma TV's be next?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6188940.stm

I can see the green lobby now (in 4x4 mode) "no one really needs a TV that big", "to save the planet each household only really needs one 14 inch TV - better still, people can gather round the piano and entertain each other"

And Gordon god bless him is now bound to introduce a Plasma TV Carbon Emmission Tax of £10 per display - that will really discourage buyers. :rolleyes:

Andy.T

Well I'm a bit of a greeny, but a materialistic, pragmatic one. I want to do right by the planet but I like my TVs big and without motion blur. :)

I am probably going to buy a 50" plasma soon but power consumption was one of my criteria hence I'm leaning toward the Pioneer 507 as (allegedly) it consumes 340W as opposed to the LG which was 430W if memory serves. Sure LCDs are lower consumption but none leapt out and grabbed me.

Of course when I get my solar panels, wind turbine and ground source heat pump etc. installed I'll be able to sleep at night with a clear conscience and a warm fuzzy feeling. :D

Jet_Set_Jim

Novice Member
I also consider myself to be environmentally aware, but things need to be put into perspective here. If you want a big telly, get a big telly - the extra 100-200W that you'll burn is inconsequential compared to the fossil fuels burned by industry, air travel and motorists each year. In fact it's inconsequential compared to your oven and central heating.

"Re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic? Fiddling while Rome burns? You got it. We can't crack down on the real reasons for climate change, so let's go for the little things that won't make any difference. At least we'll look like we are doing something."

choddo2006

Novice Member
9.4W per screen inch?

Well;
1. that's bobbins because my 42" uses PEAK energy of about 280W, which is clearly 6.6 with an average probably more like 4.
2. every inch of diagonal means a squared increase of area lit & viewed, so they should measure it as W/sqinch
3. Prof Raynes, if he knew anything, would know that LCDs use a constant energy output which is roughly the same as the average on plasmas. The quack.

... and what those guys said above.

choddo2006

Novice Member
and in the comments section there

Who cares about how much power they consume? I know I don't. It doesn't matter what you do, there's always somebody sticking their oar in, whinging about eco this and eco that. If they're that concerned about it, why don't they develop a TV that doesn't use as much power. I have a 42" Plasma, it's switched off at the mains at night watched for 25 mins while I get ready for work and about 4 hours on an evening after my evening meal. The majority of people are not like these un-employed people who buy TV's like this from credit companies and sit on their rears all day watching Trisha and eating pot noodles, pumping out children all year so they don't have to work. I paid for my TV outright, I can buy what I want to buy when I want to buy it and use it how I see fit (within reason of course!)
Steven, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
:rotfl: amazing scenes.

robin78

Novice Member
In winter my (future) plasma will not use any extra electricity compared to my 21" CRT. The 120W of extra power consumption is emitted as heat and light. Every watt of heat my plasma will generate my central heating will not and with the extra amount of light I´ll be able to switch of one of my 60W bulbs.

E

Enquirer

The reality is that plasma TVs don't necessarily use any more power than LCDs – a fact which makes perfect sense if you think about how each technology works.
Plasma TVs, for instance, require just a single ignition of a plasma cell to cause a pixel to illuminate. Since darkness is achieved in plasma pixels by stopping electrical current getting into them, it follows that plasma TVs need relatively little power to reproduce dark scenes.
LCDs by comparison run at a constant power regardless of whether a scene is dark or light, due to their use of an always-on backlight.
Results from an independent research conducted by the AVT.O.P. Messetechnik laboratory in Germany, showed that plasmas tend to use the same – and sometimes less – amounts of power than LCD screens.
You decide to watch a DVD of The Lord of The Rings. If you have an LCD TV, even though the film contains some a wide mix of dark and bright scenes, the TV will run at a constant ‘mid-level' power, since its backlight output remains unchanged regardless of how dark the image content is.

If you watch the same film on a plasma TV, during bright scenes it will use potentially more energy than an LCD TV. But during the dark scenes it will use less energy than the LCD TV. The result is that the overall energy usage between the TVs is roughly the same. In fact, with a really dark movie, plasma TVs could use notably less power than many LCD TVs

http://www.plasma-lcd-facts.eu/myths/energy-use/

choddo2006

Novice Member
It would appear that Julie Sadler from Leeds isn't the most technically savvy person in the world, I can see why the Beeb chose to post her insightful comment;

Why can't you turn off TVs using the remote rather than only being able to put it on stand-by? I often put it on stand-by meaning to then turn it off, but then forget.

robin78

Novice Member
It would appear that Julie Sadler from Leeds isn't the most technically savvy person in the world, I can see why the Beeb chose to post her insightful comment;
Well actually she has a point, it´s absolutely not difficult to make a switch off function controlled by remote. Once off you would need to switch it on on the television.

ma-ku

Standard Member
The heat from my plasma contributes to the room temperature, thus my thermostat is lower than it might otherwise be.

I watch mostly in the dark or very low level lighting, thus saving money on lighting.

I don't have to drive to the cinema a couple of times a week to enjoy movies. (I hardly go at all now).

Global warming is a feature of this planet's history. With or without humanity, the climate will change. It always has. Fossil fuel consumption will decline sharply this century due to it's increasing inaffordability. If we aren't at peak consumption yet, we soon will be. Thereafter, alternative energy will be used.

This article is symptomatic of the puritanical hysteria that seems to be gripping this country at the moment. (As are the crippling taxes we are paying). What! Enjoying your life!? How dare you!...

Hairy

I wonder what'll be next.PC's left on because people have broadband?

I think Steve from Newcastle may be a bit up himself,the berk.

chaparral

And don't anyone say anything about all these new gaming PC's with there 1000+ psu's for running daul highend video cards etc,,

So how many of these people in the government-funded Energy Saving Trust have a 14" CRT TV's in there 50ft living room????

gjd000

Surprised none of the people who left comments on the BBC mentioned the re-gassing of Plasma's.....................:thumbsup: Surely they must believe this will cause even more damage to the environment........:rolleyes:

Jonstone

Its a shame the green lobby never target something that annoys us all.

Speed bumps for instance must make an extra contribution to emissions from cars, all that slowing down and speeding up, but nobody ever seems to target them.

As for green taxes, I have nothing against them so long as the proceeds are used to fund energy conservation programs like grants for home insulation etc.

philangst

Standard Member
Global warming is a feature of this planet's history. With or without humanity, the climate will change. It always has. Fossil fuel consumption will decline sharply this century due to it's increasing inaffordability. If we aren't at peak consumption yet, we soon will be. Thereafter, alternative energy will be used.

This article is symptomatic of the puritanical hysteria that seems to be gripping this country at the moment. (As are the crippling taxes we are paying). What! Enjoying your life!? How dare you!...
I agree, but fear I now hold a minority view!!!

choddo2006

Novice Member
Well actually she has a point, it´s absolutely not difficult to make a switch off function controlled by remote. Once off you would need to switch it on on the television.
Hmm, point taken.

But mine's 0.9W in standby ... might as well be off. So I put it to you that they already do ;)

loz

Hmm, point taken.

But mine's 0.9W in standby ... might as well be off. So I put it to you that they already do ;)
but isn't it still a case of 40m (say) x 0.9w if we added up all the tv's in the UK on standby even if they only used 0.9w individually?

choddo2006

Novice Member
What, one for 2 out of every 3 people? :)

Even if there were, let's say one's on standby for about half the day. And in use for half the day. With kids at home, that's easily possible.

You'd only have to turn it to standby for an extra 3 minutes a day to compensate for what's used in standby over that 12 hour period (assuming 200W average in use),

pcdoc

Novice Member
A couple of things make me wonder at times about these issues, Why do people protest when a windfarm is planned in an area, "Oh you can't build that there it's an eyesore" and its funny that it's usually in the area where all these 'greenies' live, they don't seem to like the idea of an alternative power source then.

njp

Novice Member
The heat from my plasma contributes to the room temperature, thus my thermostat is lower than it might otherwise be.
That's true (in winter), but electricity is a very poor choice for heating, both in economic terms (for you) and thermodynamic terms (for the planet).

I don't have to drive to the cinema a couple of times a week to enjoy movies. (I hardly go at all now).
A fair point.

Global warming is a feature of this planet's history. With or without humanity, the climate will change. It always has.
That's true. But what the science is now telling us (and the concensus is overwhelming, despite what the climate change deniers on this forum and elsewhere on the web would like you to believe) is that anthropogenic factors are now the dominant factor in forcing climate change. We ignore that concensus at our peril.

MAW

Banned
Choddo, your plasma is now a dinosaur on standby, new ones use only 0.4w. The stuff about standby refers to old CRT stuff, using about 20 odd watts. All modern TVs are low power in standby, the manufacuters are being very responsible thank you, Mr BBC. Is it just me, or is it every time there is a news article about anything you are professionally involved with, it's utter utter unspeakable crap? Do they not research anything properly? My wife is at the top of her profession, radically different to mine, but much in the news. It's exactly the same for her, totally misleading reporting, if not downright lies.