1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma TV, where do I put my centre speaker???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Thatsnotmynaim, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Right, now my TH-42PW6 has turned up from those nice guys at Lets Go Digital (£1979 with SCART and Saturday/next day delivery - thanks Pete), where the hell do I put my centre speaker?!?!?! The TV is on a Panasonic desktop stand, the unit below has no space for the speaker and I don't want to drill into the wall behind the TV as it's a 100 year old building!!! Help!!!!

:lease:

2. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A little more info would be helpful!
    What centre speaker do you have and what size is it?
    If the unit has no space for the plasma, where are you putting the plasma? :confused:

3. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
  4. Toothy

Toothy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TBH m8......I don't know what your problem is??

I have drilled into my 165 year old wall and placed a shelf for my centre speaker to sit on......and I live in a listed building. :confused:

Listed building status means I can do whatever I want to the insides.....as long as I don't alter anything structually inside....knocking down walls etc...

5. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Is there any other option? I do not want to do this if I can help it! Some one mentioned there maybe some kind of shelf that would go on top of the screen, but I can't find anything about them anywhere! If I can't then maybe an option is to replace the speaker with something slimmer?

6. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dont think you should put a speaker on top of your plasma, even if you could how naff would that look! :thumbsdow
    Either buy some smaller speakers such as KEF eggs, or if you really dont want to put a shelf on the wall (not sure why?) then get a floor stand that will sit in front of your unit and tilt the speaker upwards.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    sjameson

You'll want a taller pedestal stand - SMS do one that is height adjustable; you can down load a PDF from the SMS site and work out if your KEF speaker will fit or not.

See http://www.sms.safebrackets.se > Plasma Brackets V Tabel Top stand.

Best regards

Joe

PS Aren't those Quadraspire racks a bit wiggly for a Plasma :)

8. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Cheers guys, I'll investigate both suggestions. Much appreciated.

AV Geeza - I scared to drill into the wall behind as I'm no DIY expert and when I've tried to drill it before just to put up a picture and I just made a horrible mess as it crumbled away before me. Not sure if this is due the way it's been plastered (really thick plaster and the wall is nearly 2 foot thick in total) or if it's just my useless DIY skills, probably my DIY skills I'd say!! Anyway, we're hopefully moving in the not too distant future, so I don't want to end up messing it up for the sake of a few months as my mrs would kill me. ;)

Joe - The Quadrashere stand seems rock solid, which is amazing since I put it together myself!! :smashin: It's one of the wider AV cabinates with glass doors on the front rather than one of the open hifi type racks they make.The sides although are only made from mdf a few cm's thick, because there are two of them on each side with a 4cm gap between them for the glass doors to retract into it seems to make it very solid. I can recommend them.