1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma TV Recommendations (50" ?)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by fatboyonadiet, Jun 21, 2005.

1. fatboyonadiet

fatboyonadiet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend is after one with surround sound, can anyone recommend one and where the cheapest place is to get one from? If anyone can recommend any packages that include things like DVD player,etc. that would be appreciated too.

Cheers.

2. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Panny PV500 50", Pio XDE505 or Fujitsu XHA40US 50".
    All very good. All expensive. Only the Panasonic has a tuner box built in. The others are straight screens.

3. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    I know for a fact the 505XDE has a tuner box built in. :)

4. fatboyonadiet

fatboyonadiet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers, I'll have a look into those

5. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    sorry - yes. that's quite right. Just the fuji thats a straight screen.

6. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want a TV ..buy Pio or Panny

If ya want a flexible Home Cinema display hooked upto an exteranl box e.g Sky - buy the Fuji.

7. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or..... if you want to have another panel to compare the Fuji against and your not in a rush wait till late August(estimate by some) to see a Panasonic PHD8 and compare it with the Fuji then decide with your own eyes.From what i have read the Fuji is a very fine panel but often people want to have options to test a product against before they decide to buy(well we are talking serious money).
    dilsher has an excellent system(yes i am jealeous :D ).which includes the fuji panel a fantastic scaler and many other quality and well chosen components not just that but it has been calibrated and set up by not one but two techno wizards!
    if you are after this kind of performance (and can afford it )the names in his signature will prove very usefull indeed and will send you on the path of AV Nirvana!

If you want a good big flat telly his other suggestions are right on the money in my opinion.

8. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    agreed Enquirer mate pple should wait to tryout the PHD*

And I only have a decent system because of the advice given to me by members of this magnificent Forum!!!!!

All hail AVForums!

Dil

9. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well, I am getting my Fuji P50XHA40S replaced and am seriously mulling over whether or not to see what the PHD8 looks like first.
    Unfortunately from the various threads on the PV500 it sounds like it will likely have its own issues and as the Fuji is generally excellent I am in something of a dilemma. ;)

For the original poster I would definitely wait and demo both the Fuji and PHD8 if possible (I wonder if any new MXE panel is due out?).

10. CoolCurly

CoolCurly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
  11. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    POS I'm afraid. If you're gonna spend this money, go the little extra to get something good (Pio, Panny, Fuji, NEC).

By the sound of the original post, a TV is not necessarily needed. Requirement states DVD and surround sound. I would go Panny 50" monitor (50PHD7) plus DVD player, amp and speaker package to fit budget. Of course if client just wants decent quality, but integral freeview and speakers then 50PV500 or 505XDE.

If your friend wants proper quality consider a Fuji 50XHA40, adding a scaler to a Panny 50PHD7 or Pioneer 50MXE1, or adding a scaler to a Fuji and going the whole nine yards!

What is the total budget?

12. fatboyonadiet

fatboyonadiet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure what their budget is, don't really think they've got one! But obviously want to pay a fair price and not over the odds.

Is this any good: http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/PIO-PDP503MXEV.htm

Or this one: http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/PIO-PDP505XDE.htm

I can't seem to find any stockists of the above mentioned models, please can anyone post any links or suggest decent retailers. My friend is based in London so any retailers round there or any good e-tailers would be appreciated.

Also what's the difference/benefit of having a tuner box? Should I wait for or only get a HD? Again why? And if I buy a Panasonic for example is it best to get a Pioneer DVD player and surrond sound?

Cheers, and please can we avoid too much techie speak - I'm still a newbie here!

13. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Where would one buy a Fuji P50XHA40US from in the UK and whats the best price?

Very interested in this panel along with the soon PHD8.

Dr.

14. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Contact Fujitsu for the latest Dealer list - 0208 731 3475 The prices have come down in the last week. The retail price of the 50" US model is now £4500 - a drop of £500. You will only find the Fuji at installers and "proper" AV and Hifi shops. They dont sell it on-line to discount merchants, so you will only find it on the web if the retailer happens to have an on-line department. AV-sales stock it (accessible via this site), as do a number of the professional retailers that regularly offer advice on this forum. It is a premium product (not a tv) and benefits from strong manufacturer aftersales and Dealer service. You can, for example, actually speak to people at Fujitsu who know all about it..............

15. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    LOL!!!

Also, there will be a TV version end-September. Basically the media box from the old HHS series, except with AVM2, 3 scarts, 2 YUV, HDMI, YUV, and digital audio switching!! Price will be a few hundred more than the non-TV version and will include sexy little black speakers (very similar to the more expensive Pioneer option) and a wall mount.

16. fatboyonadiet

fatboyonadiet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, much appreciated. What about the Panasonic? Found the a few stockists of the Pioneer, needed it soon and might opt for this, worked out for about £4.5k could get the TV, wall bracket, extra speakers and home cinema system too. Will I be able to hook this up to Sky? Something one of the other posters has said has got me worried!