1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma TV question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by LordeRyall, Dec 1, 2003.

1. LordeRyall

LordeRyall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies in advance, as you lot must have had this question a thousand times but.....

As a novice I'm in the market for a 42 inch plasma TV but don't want to buy a load of rubbish without paying silly money. One colleague recommends Panasonic or Pioneer but says that the contrast ratio is very important for clarity. However, another colleague has recommended a little known (for me) plasma called a 'Direct Digital' plasma from Delphi??

humble help needed.

2. nhk

nhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would go for the Panasonic as it is the best plasma out there.

3. llanellijack

llanellijack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd go for the Hitachi 42pd3000, still the king of plasmas !

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    What do you want from the plasma??? And what budget etc what else do have to connect to it???

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pioneer pdp434 best picture on the market compared to price

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    As you see, M'Lord, there are 2 clear approaches, one, Buy the plasma I've got, it's the best, and two, the professional sales aprroach, thank you Mr Dragon. The delphi has a broadcast quality digital interface, none of your nambi pambi HDMI stuff. Trouble is, as Horny is working up to, nothing else vaguely affordable does, you can get a sky box or DVD modded at about 1.2k, or you can buy the Dephi interface, with 4 scarts. All it's really doing in this case is the same as any other plasma, and receiving an analogue signal and converting it to digital, as it's a digital display. So no real advantage to be had with the delphi's very fine 'direct digital' unless you have money to burn, in which case you can now get just as good performance at lower cost, with DVI or HDMI equipped screens, the only remaining problem being no HDMI equipped sky boxes yet.

7. LordeRyall

LordeRyall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback. The screen is only going to be used for the usual home entertainment (sky+, dvd and x-box). Looking to spend around 3-4k but would consider paying more if there is added value for it. Am I right to concentrate on the contrast ratio (the greater the better?) or is this not too important? I noticed that on the pioneer pdp434hde (recommended by a few people) that the contrast ratio is 'only' 1200:1.

I have just been offered a new 42'' delphi at £3,300 and thinking that maybe this is good value.

MAW - you didn't mention which screen you have??

8. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You really need to see these screen for yourself. The panasonic has very good blacks but his sacfifices a little vibrency of picture. The Pioneer has a very 3d vibret picture but is unable to produce very dark blacks.

The contrast ratio is not a good place to base your decisions as each manufacturer bases their figures on their own measurments and so comparison is not possible. As an example when the new pioneers was measured using panasonics methods it actually came out slighly higher.

For genral use stick to the pioneer or panasonic. their is little to choose between them, and at the moment you can be sure that you are buying into the top end of the market.

Phil

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    :D I'm just the messenger, I've got a projection system, I have a few plasmas at the moment, but they're all in boxes.... I'm an installer. The Delphi is a little behind the bleeding edge as far as picture quality, you are paying for that SDi interface, which to you is as much use as tits on a bull, as they say. £3k will score you a panasonic PW6, and a little more for a hi-res pioneer MXE. Personally I steer clear of anything with a built in tuner until they come up with a digital version. Analogue TV leaves you at the mercy of the broadcasters, your aerial, and passing heavy vehicles, and usually looks substandard. If you have sky you have no need.