Plasma tv over HDMI and bluray content - What are really the right settings?

Radikaal

Standard Member
hi there i have a ps51e6500 samsung plasma(which supports full rgb), i use it mainly connected to my pc via hdmi to watch 3d and bluray content (i only use it for watching, not games via hdmi), and after researching quite a bit im still not sure what the ideal settings to use is (pixelformat, dynamic range in AMD CCC) and what output range in example madvr and what hdmi mode on tv, anyone can give insight the correct settings once for all?

I have a computer with a 5850 graphics card, i use mpc-hc with madVR to watch some h264 mkv and powerdvd to watch bluray discs and 3d. I am still confused what settings i should i use in AMD CCC settings for pixel format and dynamic range, what to use as output in madVR settings / other player settings and what mode on tv?

Some say i should go limited all the way , (in pixel format, dynamic range, madvr output and "low" on tv settings since giving full rgb should not give any benefit to movie content. But some say it will not get enough bandwith or something then and get banding, and ive read some say you don't get the colors correct if you use full rgb on bluray movies, and that it should be full in pixel format and limited in dynamic range. Anyone with more insight that can give a good answer what the correct settings really is? (want to get calibration going soon but don't want to do it with wrong settings).

Right now i have set the AMD settings to Limited RGB 4:2:2 under Pixel format, and dynamic range 16-235, Madvr is set that tv is expecting RGB output to be TV levels(16-235) and finally the tv is set to low for hdmi output .

Appreciate alot if someone have a good response what all the settings really should be, thank you :)

Last edited:

FUltra

Novice Member
The important thing is to use the same settings at both the source and the display. If you use extended RGB on both then there will be no color distortion but it you use extended on the TV and limited on the Blu-Ray (for example) then there will be distortions. Since there is no existing material to play that use the extended color ranges there is no real need to use it but as long as you keep using the same settings on both ends you should be in the clear.

Or simply buy a "calibration" disc like the Spears and Munsil one and try out the different settings to see what impact they gives. Here is a good guide on how for the colorspaces: Choosing a Color Space | Spears & Munsil

Radikaal

Standard Member
thank you for the answer, to have have same settings on both ends i knew was important. What i really wanted to know if there will be any difference in movies having extended or limited RGB (matching on both ends).

So if im going to send out in extended from my source (pc) should i have (in ATI settings) Full RGB set on pixelformat and 0-255 on dynamic range and in videoplayers send out extended if there is an option for it? (and of course my tv set to extended on the hdmi range) (im still not clear on difference between pixelformat & dynamic range in ati settings, or are they the same?)

Appreciate all the input and experience people might have of playing bluray content over hdmi from a PC.

FUltra

Novice Member
If you only are using this to play movies then there is no reason to go full on pixelformat and 0-255 on dynamic range since there are no existing dvd or br discs which contains such content. If you however also play games etc then it's a different matter since generated images can use the whole range.

pixelformat is simply to decide where the 4:2:2 to 4:4:4 conversion of the chroma subsampling is to take place, i.e in the display or by the ATI card. Mostly this shouldn't matter since the conversion should be done exactly the same if done according to specs but then sometimes manufacturers makes mistakes. Also if the images are created on the pc (as with games) then they are in 4:4:4 so sending 4:2:2 would degrade the chroma.

The dynamic range is determine if one is using HDMI according to video or pc levels. Video uses a range of 16-235 to describe black to white while pc uses 0-255. DVD and BR uses 16-235 so if you use pc level then the ATI card will scale the values so that 16 will be sent as 0 and 235 as 255 while content created on the pc (like games) will use the full 0-255 range for additional color range. For DVD and BR movies however it's just important to have the same setting on both ends or the colors will appear to be washed out.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom