Question Plasma tv dropped from 60hz to 50z

Guyc

Novice Member
Hi, i recently bought a Panasonic TX-P50V20 from this group and the picture quality is amazing.
Today i put the tv on and i have noticed it has dropped down to 50hz when it has always been at 60hz.
Why would it do this and how would i change it back to 60hz.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
If its is showing UK TV, 50Hz is correct, as that is the correct refresh rate. It will show 60Hz for US TV and connection to most PCs and possibly 24Hz for movies.

Guyc

Novice Member
I have always used the tv here in the UK, i have never changed any settings.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Then if you are watching Sky / Freeview / Virgin, 50Hz is the correct refresh rate. If it was 60Hz, you would see lots of stuttering as it tried to interpolate 50 frames into 60.

Guyc

Novice Member
I watch through virgin media and the picture has always been perfect, no stuttering. I dont know why it suddenly changed from 60hz to 50hz.

Nelly

As noiseboy said, British TV is broadcast at 50hz, so via any UK TV service, be that virgin, freeview, sky etc it should be 50hz. Are you sure you were seeing it display normal TV at 60hz? You also mentioned picture quality, do you think it looks worse now you've noticed it saying 50hz?

Guyc

Novice Member
I definitely noticed it at 60hz because i was surprised in the change from my previous 42 inch panasonic plasma that this has replaced was always showing 50hz. I am not saying the quality is any worse now its at 50hz, but i haven't watched anything properly yet, but the picture seems fine.

Guyc

Novice Member
I noticed last night when i was turning the tv off, virgin media box, amp off then tv off, i noticed it read 1080p 60hz in the top left corner of the screen. This is what i must have been noticing as 60hz, it only shows that when all inputs are switched off.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom