Question Plasma to LCD

ima poster

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi. My 42PQ3000 720p plasma is starting to show it's age now. The Green in particular has gone very grainy at the screen edge. Favourite to replace it is the Sony 49XE9005 with free ct290 sound bar. Any thoughts on whether this makes sense . Main sources are sky sd and hd viewed at 10feet and xbox, usually at around 4 feet.

If that's the most you can spend it makes sense! Bit of an overkill if you have no HDR sources but there aren't really any tv's other than that that are priced well right now...in terms of bang for buck in the mid range category at that size anyway.

You may get a bit of a shock with the quality of SD stuff being upscaled to UHD but that can't be avoided anymore unless you buy a lesser tv overall on a tighter budget.

Thanks. Really a question of what order to change things. Virgin are laying cables round here, so BB bandwidth will increase substantially soon. Equally, there's not a lot of point having the 4k HDR source with a 720pTV either, but as the sparkly green is getting irritating, fate has decided the order. If the KD49XE9005 is not as good as it seems, then any alternative recommendations as my wife loves old NCIS episodes and they need to be watchable!

Its watchable thats for sure. At 10ft you are outside of recommended seating distances for FHD, let alone UHD. So likely the difference (especially to the untrained eye) of SD material will be minimal.

I would recommend demoing the TV before you buy it though.

As I said there aren't any viable alternatives FHD or UHD at that size, its the best you can get. But just beware before splashing cash on UHD sources that there will be very little difference (if at all) watching it 10ft away.

There aren't any better TVs at that size.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom