1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma to/for Small Form Factor PC.....HELP!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Degas, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Degas

Degas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all, first post here after this place being recommended by a friend. I am in a bit of a pickle/total state of being p***ed off. I have built myself a small form factor PC (Shuttle) to use with my Plasma (JVC VM-42D30ES), now this screen has been fantastic, great picture and sound with no dead pixels or screen burn, however the only way I have been able to connect the PC is by a S-Video cable (which gives frankly a crap picture) as the Plasma has no native VGA In. I want to connect via the spare RGB sockets on the TV Tuner box, fine I thought so I blindly ordered an ATI RADEON 9800 PRO HDTV COMPONENT ADAPTER as the graphics card in my SFF PC is a 9800Pro. You can see the spec here:-

http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvadapter/

I was assured this would work from the US website I ordered it from, when it arrived it failed to work giving a garbled signal, after digging around on the ATI US website I found in tiny print that the adaptor would not work in Europe, gosh darnit, I said to my wife, those Americans from whom I bought this from must have made a mistake when they told me it would definately work (or words to that effect)

Anyway, I am asking for advise as to a solution, I have a lovely SFF PC, a cracking Plasma and a lovely shiny THOR RGB cable sat here begging to be put together. Failing that can anyone recommend the best Plasma screen around for about £3000-£3500 max (or less) that will accept a VGA or DVI signal from a PC.

If so anyone wanna buy a 10 month old JVC VM-42D30ES 42" Plasma screen, cost £4000 new. ;)

Sorry for the long first post, plase ask any questions if I have missed anything out, thanks in advance guys.

Degas.

2. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Dude,

Sounds like a ****ty situation to be in, but I am sure we can find a solution. Check out this site :

http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/

It details a DIY method of extracting a RGB scart output from the graphics card VGA output. If you can't make this yourself, then I am sure one of the technical guys here will be able to help you out. ;)

I have just had a quick look on the net for a commercial product that would convert VGA to RGB, but the only one I found cost £150.

Hope this helps a little.

Rob

3. Degas

Degas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers for that, I have been to that site before, it made my head hurt..... :blush:

4. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Degas,

I am not sure how competent you are on the PC, but the software it talks about on that site is easy to use, and only needs setting up once.

With regard to making the cable, I 'MAY' be able to help you if you aren't able to do it yourself. Have another look and let me know.

Cheers

Rob

5. Degas

Degas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks man,' I'll have another read, it's not the software I am worried about, it's the cable and all that soldering shennanigans.

6. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Degas,

Looking at the diagram in more detail, I am quietly confident that I can make one of thse cables if you want me to. I will happily do it for the cost of the bits from Maplin and the postage costs. Just let me know if you want me to go ahead and we can exchange e-mails etc.

Cheers

Rob