Plasma time!!!

jasonjames71

Standard Member
A friend of mine has been offered a panasonic txp42x10b from, his insurance company. he asked if he could put a few hundred towards it and chose a better model and they said yes. Its got to come from comet, is there a set that would be much better or should he stick with the txp42x10b??
his budget would be £900 in comet . :)

thanks

jason

Ghostrider

The G10 comes with the neo-PDP panel and IMHO is an amazing set.

I would spend the extra - in fact last week I did - having had my 42Pz70 repeatedly fail over the last 3 months I upgraded to a 50G10 for an extra £360.

I never even considered the X10.

EDIT - OOPS - just re-read your post and if £900 is the limit then ignore me - I thought that £900 was what the X10 cost and he wanted to spend a few hundred extra. It's old age catching up with me.

MyRDXS

I have the Panny 42X10B and I'm blown away by the picture compared to other sets at the price (my opinion). If you really want the full HD trip then the next model up from what you have been offered is the PANASONIC TX-P42S11B - I saw this new in at Tesco's at the weekend and to me looked identical to the X10b, but obviously a higher spec and I think has 400Hz processing

I don't think you will be disappointed with the Panasonic TV's whatever you get

Ghostrider

Trying to be more helpful -

- does he need Full HD for Blu Ray and the like?
- what size range does he want - is 42 right or would bigger / smaller be better for him?
- does he have external sound or will he rely on the inbuilt speakers?
- is he a movie nut that watches TV in the dark or does he like his rooms well lit?
- How for away is his usual watching position?

Probably enough questions for now.

Ghostrider

I have the Panny 42X10B and I'm blown away by the picture compared to other sets at the price (my opinion). If you really want the full HD trip then the next model up from what you have been offered is the PANASONIC TX-P42S11B - I saw this new in at Tesco's at the weekend and to me looked identical to the X10b, but obviously a higher spec and I think has 400Hz processing

I don't think you will be disappointed with the Panasonic TV's whatever you get

The S11B looks to be great value at £899 in Comet.

jasonjames71

Standard Member
cheers guys, he`s about 3m from his set, mainly sd but doesn`t want to buy another set in a few time, doesn`t watch films but you know what its like when u get your first decent tv!(has a rear projection tv before). i`m not sure the 11b is worth another £250 ? ? ?

tvbox

Is there any noticeable difference in picture quality between the 42PX80 and 42PX10?
Well the X10 uses improved processing- V real 4 instead of v real 3. That may be for better SD quality, as back in december, i saw a PX80 and it looked too red and orange with poor blacks.
This should be rectified on the X10s now i hope:thumbsup:
The X10 was less orange and more natural, with Less Noise on freeview.

BIG improvement in styling too. No more ugly matt plastic bezel at the bottom, or cheapo Poundland style sqare stand :thumbsdow:

MyRDXS

I saw the X10 and PX80 side by side in a Panasonic dealers, the PX80 picture had a rich warm CRT feel to it, the X10 looked a bit LCD for my liking.

Strange I wouldn't have described the X10 as anything like LCD. I compared a Samsung LCD sideby side with the X10, and SWMBO, who by the way is very discerning about finer details noted how the plasma looked far more natural. The plasma won for me.

Lizzybif

Strange I wouldn't have described the X10 as anything like LCD. I compared a Samsung LCD sideby side with the X10, and SWMBO, who by the way is very discerning about finer details noted how the plasma looked far more natural. The plasma won for me.

I totally agree with you.

I had a Panasonic LCD before the 37X10 and the picture on the Plasma does not look like the LCD and is much more natural as you rightly say.

The Snake just has a 'thing' about the X10.:rolleyes:

Autotec

Standard Member
That was one of my main concerns as I felt the picture was to much orange biased especially on darker scenes, and watching the likes of CSI Miami was to orange for my liking and the colours were better looking on my 32 inch panny crt.

I would really like to know more on the colour accuracy from the X10, I had tried the 37 LZD80 as a first buy the colours were better but there was a red push, I brought it back because of the poor washed out blacks but that had the V-real Pro 3 processor where the 42X80 has the V-Real 3 and the X10 has the V-real 4, i presume the the X10 is better at reducing blocky sky SD pictures than the X80

Last edited:

MyRDXS

That was one of my main concerns as I felt the picture was to much orange biased especially on darker scenes, and watching the likes of CSI Miami was to orange for my liking and the colours were better looking on my 32 inch panny crt.

I would really like to know more on the colour accuracy from the X10, I had tried the 37 LZD80 as a first buy the colours were better but there was a red push, I brought it back because of the poor washed out blacks but that had the V-real Pro 3 processor where the 42X80 has the V-Real 3 and the X10 has the V-real 4, i presume the the X10 is better at reducing blocky sky SD pictures than the X80

I can only speak from experience of my settings on the X10 - blacks are nice and dark, not perhaps Pioneer Kuro standard but pretty deep. I'm actually watching Battlestar Galactica (whilst typing) and space looks pretty deep black, not LCD grey like my Philips LCD gaming TV.

In Cinema - Warm I suppose you could get a picture tending towards red but certainly not way too orange. If you saw a TV in the shop it was most probably on "Dynamic" which is truly horrible and probably would lead to that effect. I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with SD sources. Sky sources I put on Cinema and Color Balance "Normal", contrast about 65-70%, Brightness 50%, P-NR - Min. and I find that a perfectly acceptable. The inbuilt DAB tuner is pretty reasonable, I use a boosted signal, and find that motion is handled well with little blur. I'll try and get some screen shots. :)

Lizzybif

Just my opinion but using Colour Mode Normal or Warm can make pictures look a bit 'orangey' but, for me at least, Cool colour mode is perfect and complexion colours look more natural.

rewerb

cheers guys, he`s about 3m from his set, mainly sd but doesn`t want to buy another set in a few time, doesn`t watch films but you know what its like when u get your first decent tv!(has a rear projection tv before). i`m not sure the 11b is worth another £250 ? ? ?
No, not at that distance from the set. Stick to a 720p set and save your money. 1080p is not really noticeable under 50".

Autotec

Standard Member
What I had was the 42PV80ey which I believe Is the Irish version of the 42X80 I tried normal and cinema and changing colour temp, but was not to my satisfaction watching CSI Miami, now that I am back watching my 32CRT Panny it looks tiny compared to the 42PV80.
I am just looking for a more natural colour.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom