1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Test, Best Movie sequence to Test a Screen

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Miander, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Miander

Miander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have found a mate thats kindly let em go test some movies on his plasma.

Now say i had to choose 3 films sequences to test the screen, what would you guys choose.

I dont want to take shrek/ incredibles / monsters inc because i know they will be fantastic.

My first choices was
    the matrix / where they enter the tower and meet the swat.
    Casshern, battle sequence halfway through (simply amazing)
    Hero - fight near the end where the trees change colours (oooo i love that bit)

Im open to suggestions... going at 6 30 ish so if you can :) something that will push the screen really! :) thanks all

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
  3. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    some stunning shots in House of Flying Daggers :smashin:

4. Miander

Miander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    AHh thanks Mep.. i spent ages searching for stuff.. just had thw wrong words in mind! :()
    and yeah Ikon, House of Flying daggers has some excellent scenes!

Just been looking through the thread, its mostly geared towards sound as in picture.

Im looking for testing sequences more than anything :thumbsup:

5. tetrarch

tetrarch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When I demo'd my PWD7 I was advised to take The Fifth Element. The sequence beginning where Leelu jumps from the skyscaper, lands in Bruce Willis's cab and then rockets through the traffic.

There is tons of action, loads of bright colours and plenty of skin for the screen to handle. It is also accoustically interesting, with lots of surround-sound.

Regards

Tet

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Stunning sound on the Chinese release, but I think the picture is awful.

Verical Limit - good for seeing how the plasma handles very bright scenes (snow covered mountains) and very dark scenes (in the cave).

Star wars Episode II - great to see how it handles bright colourful scenes and those black space scenes.

When you say you have found a mate that is letting you demo his screen, can I ask for what reason? Has he got a screen that you are thinking of buying?
    The only way to see the differences between different screens is seeing them side by side, I went to av-sales to see the Pioneer MXE-1 in action last year and after an hour in the demo room I bought a Panasonic, I knew it would be the Pansonic after 10 mins to be honest, but I spent an hour trying to get the Pioneer to how I wanted it to look, but failed.
    If I had just seen the Pioneer on its own I would not have known how much better the Panny is for me, sometimes I guess ignorance is bliss?

Yeah that scene in 5th Element when she jumps off the building is great, it starts when the police go into the shaft, nice and dark, to outside (lots of detail and her skin should look natural), to inside the police car (should be loads of detail in the dark areas), to outside McD's (should be a nice deep red logo, not orangey) and then down through the fog (does the screen still look analogue, or does it start to fall down?).

7. Miander

Miander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well the mate has the same model i am considering. The PD7200. I have seen the 7200 and the Pv500 in the same shop. But it was comet and they had them set up totally different. one was on Freeview.. and the other was viewing a RF analogue signal!

no comparison then, the PV500 looked amazing. I confrunted the sales guy about the setup, and why they didnt put comparitive set ups on the plasmas.. he didnt have a real answer.

I have seen them running in different locations but not together. I really wanted to test it on my choice of input and with the standard sky reception.

This is the objective for the little event anyway.. I will be taking a visit to Selfridges in Birmingham on the weekend to see what sort of deal i can get there,

I dont own 5th element... but im already on the hunt at dinner to go get it! :)

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    The Sky bit is the most important thing with any plasma imho, we tend to watch far more TV than we think, so for me that has to be right, if that is right then the DVD/HD side of things should fall into place. I have never seen a plasma that looks good with Sky look ***** with dvd or hd, however there are loads of pasmas that look good with dvd/hd that look ***** with Sky.

9. Miander

Miander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    this is the exact reason i want to see the "normal" usage bit of it. then to see how it copes with other stuff.!

10. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Band of Brothers, second episode, opening sequence (right after the interviews). Lots of clouds and smoke in dark environments.

For 'normal' viewing, you could try a behind the scenes documentary found on many DVD's. Usually these documentaries have low bitrates and only average quality.

- Jerry