1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Technology and the future - please help!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Decado, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Decado

Decado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Guess what - I was just about to complete my order of a Hitachi 42PD3000 from JL when I had a conversation with somebody last night, who seemed to know what he was talking about, who said that there are a new gen of plasma's coming out in the next four months that are cheaper, better and brighter and that it would be a good idea to hold fire till February 2004 (approx) before jumping in. As it is such a big investment I thought I would ask the furom what their (collective) opinions were on the future of Plasma. In other words - should I hold fire or not?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Thats a very good idea, but hey wait, it's now february 04 and someone says "best wait until Feb 05, something better on the way" - There will always be better things on the horizon so buy now and enjoy.

3. Decado

Decado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know - its always "something better in the future" syndrome. Except he seemed fairly adamant that there was going to be a price drop in the imminent future. I can't see any evidence of this on the web - has any body else heard this?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Exactly so! And you don't have to wait until Feb, how about october see thread 'new pioneers'. There is nothing earth shtttering going to happen to the plasma market in 2004, just more of the same, incremental improvements. LCD panels may come more to the fore, they are improving rapidly at the moment. There are other technologies on the way, but like plasma, and now LCD, the early adopters pay a high price, just to have the latest. You could, of course wait until LCOS becomes affordable, and big enough to cover your whole wall, and communicate with you voice operated PC built into your shirt sleeve by high speed wireless link, but I think life's too short.

5. Decado

Decado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I kind of agree but looking at the new Pioneer 434HDE it might be worth waiting till February - so its either Hitachi now or Pioneer in Feb (can't afford the extra £1k at moment)

More opinions would be great - cheers

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    1) The new pio will be much sooner than feb, I'm told it's imminent.
    2) It's a world apart from the Hitachi, but then it costs more too.
    3) if you are worried about the future, Have you heard of the analogue switch off? Yes, your Hitachi/Pioneer tuner will be futile in 4/5 years, or when the government decide they need the cash from frequency licensing, and turn off analogue TV. You'll be wanting a digital tuner then. Whilst you can of course plug in a scart lead with a tuner box attached to it, you could just cut out the middle man and not have an analogue tuner.

Look to the known future for guidance, don't worry about pub rumours. Save yourself some money by getting a monitor, and digital TV in whatever form, which of course you've probably got already!

7. Decado

Decado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MAW for the reply - my main concern about the choices is not the need for the tuner - I have Sky etc. Its more on quality vrs value - i.e. is the extra quality of image and features from the pioneer worth the wait and money over the cheaper and readily available Hitachi.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    IMHO yes, but why have the tuner at all, you are paying for something you don't need, and will be partly useless in the known future. The PMA400 is good value, loads of connections, or the panny PW6 is well thought of, and easy to connect, it has a scart socket, until you get fussy and then the options are many. Or you might soon find a bargain Pio MXE, they will be replaces 1st 1/2 of 04