1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma tabletop stands, so expensive?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ziocleto, Sep 28, 2003.

1. ziocleto

ziocleto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi lads,

It there a reason why a piece of plastic costs more than a complete 5.1 system?
    I cant believe I cant find any plasma tabletop stand for less than 200!

Do you know where I can find them cheap?

(I dont need a wall bracket stand cos I dont trust my wall ehehh :) )

2. Amradicool

Amradicool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine was quoted at £18 with the Pioneer TV...

3. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    What type of wall is it?

Cheers,
    Liam

4. ziocleto

ziocleto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not sure what kind of material it is, (Im not expert on that), but it's a thin wall, that just separetes two rooms. If I knock the wall I can hear a quite worrying "echo"...

5. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Probably plasterboard then. Only reason I asked was because I put my plasma up on an external wall made up of thermalite blocks (which is so crumbly you can just push a screwdriver straight thru it) and it took me a bit of searching to come up with the correct type of plugs to use in it.

If you would prefer to wall-mount, there have been a few threads on mounting to plasterboard walls - a search in this forum should throw them up.

Cheers,
    Liam

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    ziocleto

Most of the pedestal stands are either cast metal or metal encased in plastic and glass - some of them are 'simpler' than others but none I have come across are made of plastic.

Best regards

Joe

7. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    They are expensive, and when i bought mine (which is FOR SALE ;) ) it was £260, which i thought was extortionate for a lump of metal. However, it is extremely solid and well built, and after putting it together, i'd trust £3k of equipment on it no problem...

8. MrAnderson69uk

MrAnderson69uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've rolled my own stand.

It's two OPPLI TV Benches from IKEA, stacked on top of each other to get the height and equipment storage space. The uprights of each unit were pegged and glued to make to get the height without having a original thinner base cutting through the middle of the unit. The spare top was used as the base instead of the thinner orginals which were cut up to make more shelves.
    (2x £55)

Then off to B&Q to get 2x 1m lengths of 20mmx35mm steel box section. (2x £few quid)

These were drilled to match the mounting hole spacing on the back of the plasma (3 holes 150mm apart). Also drilled to mount them to the two middle uprights of the OPPLI construction with 4" coach bolts. There's a small offset as the width between the uprights is just slightly narrower that the spacing on the panel - but it's only a few millimeters.

Suitable length bolts, as stated on the maunals etc. from Pioneers web site, were used to mount the panal to the steel uprights.

Panel height is entirely your own choice, within reason - or get longer steel box section. I also found some extruded aluminium angle (fairly thin guage) to effectively cover the visible steel between the panel and the TV unit - held in place by between the panel and the steel uprights.

Job done and only cost £140 at most ... except the TV unit was already built for when I had my v.heavy 29" CRT Sony.

OPPLI TV Bench (not on castors - for stability and load bearing!!!)
    Amp and DTS Processor in middle section with centre channel above and approx. 4 pieces of kit on either side (AV, Consoles and HiFi).

My Pioneer 433MXE has been sitting on the stand for a good 4 months with no problems - it not going anywhere, even if burglers made a visit! ...and that's no invitation to try :D

Because the steel uprights are mounted to the back of the TV Unit, the panel can sit as far back as the unit will go (power ditribution strips permitting!) without being fixed to the wall, no wires are visible (hidden behind uprights) and no walls need chasing to conseal the cables! ...also it makes it much safer to pull the unit out to faff around with connections etc. than when it was on the supplied feet - which could be bolted down if you don't mind holes being made in the top surface of the TV unit.

The optional stand can't be pushed back as far, as it needs to provide backwards toppling stability as do the supplied feet.

I would have posted a pic. of it, but I haven't got a digital camera.

If you build it yourself, you'll get much more satisfaction from it, than knowing you've just been fleeced of some hard earned cash!!

EDIT...
    And here is what I am so satisfied over...
    Last few posts on This page.
    Oh!, and the Stands the Tannoy 607's are on I made myself.
    2" or 2 1/2" Stainless Steel Gas piping turned on a lathe to remove minor stock room grubbiness and give a nice brushed stainless look.
    The bases are 1" MDF shapped, shamferred and sprayed satin black on proper spike kits. The top plate the speaker bolt to are 3/8" think Ally plate shaped and powder coated in similar satin black. The hole lot is pulled together with a 10mm threaded bar and a hugh counter sunk nut in the base. The top plate was just screwed to the threaded bar.
    I did have some of the smaller Tannoy 603's for the rear channels and more stainless and MDF, but the room isn't suitable for them so I tried some Warfdale Picture Panel speakers with included passive sub. It works a treat - better with DD or DTS sources.

9. AVWotcha

AVWotcha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Build your own. Not a bad idea.

I'm thinking of getting a plasma but I already have a perfectly good base unit. My problem is that I have no space for my centre and the stands that come with the plasmas are not adjustable and there is not enough clearance between top of unit and bottom of screen to put the centre. It would obstruct the picture.

So what do I do ? Stick a block of wood/box of MDF under the manufacturers stand to jack up the plasma a bit ? Or get a new base unit ? (=££££££££££££s) or build my own stand ?

hmmmm

10. cynicaltaf

cynicaltaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The markup on most Plasma stands is ridiculous, but it is possible to find good quality stands for less if you shop around.

When I got my Hitachi plasma I was offered a couple of horrible looking lumps of metal, costing well over £200 each, to mount it on. I resisted and decided to search the internet and phone around a bit. It was agony not being able to use the screen for a few days, although I must admit to eventually using it balanced on the polystyrene corner blocks that it came packaged in. Eventually I managed to buy the proper Hitachi stand, the extremely good-looking rotary one that comes with the Platara models, for only £145+vat. Well worth waiting for!

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    AV Wotcha
    Not all Plasma pedestal stands are created equal - Pioneer Table Top stands have three height positions so you can often accommodate a centre channel between the bottom edge of the bezel and your table top.

cynicaltaf
    You must have a different price list from me - we make about £20 +vat on a pedestal stand.

Best regards

Joe

12. AVWotcha

AVWotcha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting... enough for a Q95.2C ? Have to wait and see what the 434HDE stand is like I guess.

13. MrAnderson69uk

MrAnderson69uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Most likely the same as the one for the 433HDE/MXE :)

Pic's of what I made are here (last 3 on page 19), and hope to get some of behind the panel.

EDIT:
    And a rear view on page 20 (3 posts down).

14. ziocleto

ziocleto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, where did you buy your hitachi stand?

thanks

15. ziocleto

ziocleto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, this's what I'd like to do,
    but Im not so self confident about my DIY skills ;)

My conclusion is:
    If I find something around £100 I'll take it, if not, I'll try a DIY approach...(And I'll pray) :)

16. ziocleto

ziocleto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe, have you got anything for a hitachi PMA400?

17. cynicaltaf

cynicaltaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the official Hitachi swivel stand (P/No. CMPAD15) for my PMA400 from Nexnix. Price was a reasonable £145+vat, and it is the same stand which is supplied as standard with the 42PD3000.

Cheers.