• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Plasma? Std TV and Xbox?

batman1056

Standard Member
Been toying with moving from my Sony CRT to LCD/Plasma for a couple of years and need to really change it (too big and bulky).

I use it for Xbox and TV (Std Def) - I have seen some good prices for the Samsung Plasmas but really not sure of the quality of them.

So - the big question - am i right in going for a plasma - budget around £600

I was in a store today and watch a Panasonic Plasma and the credits of the film were all Jiddery!:eek: really hard to watch -- is this common?

J

Jonesy76

What kind of Xbox (standard or 360), and what would be your ratio of use? Tv to Xbox?

If you're going to be mainly watching SD TV then a plasma would be lovely, but only really if you're going to 42" or bigger. Smaller than that and you can argue that an LCD would be more suitable.

For your set-up though I would recommend only going for a HD Ready (720p) screen as you'll loose the benefit of Full HD (1080p) if you only have a SD feed going into it. I just brought a new 50" plasma and I looked at 2 LG models at one stage, one HD Ready and one Full HD, and the HD Ready had the better picture on SD.
I've now got SkyHD and that looks superb on my screen.

Not too much mentioned on here about the Samsungs. I stayed away from them in my purchase because my old plasma was a Samsung and it gave me some issues. Pioneer are dropping out of the market, and are too expensive for your budget, whereas Panasonic and LG are now duking it out for the plasma market. I personally felt the picture on the LG was better than the Panasonic so I brought LG. Image Rentention is supposedly an issue with the LG's, but mine has been fine, and the component picture from our Ninendo Wii is great........ski jumping in front of it is like actually doing it! :D
Try the LG PQ series of plasma screens if you fancy going to plasma.

Monarch

Distinguished Member
As mentioned in the above post Samsung plasmas seem to be unspoken of, they've never really stood out to me when walking around but I have heard good things, although good things are generally spoken of the higher spec models, not the 42" 4 series (although I have still heard good). I haven't read anything about the new ones either. Panasonic and LG will be your choices and if you want to look at Samsungs then do do.

Basically you have 2 options, the Panasonic P42X10 and the LG 42PQ6000, both £600 at Richer Sounds. I personally prefer the LG picture slightly but there is very little in it, the Panasonic is more resistant to image retention, but you don't need to worry about anything bad happening unless you spend 3 hours or more gaming at one time I would say. I have a PX80 and PG6000 (last years equivalent of the X10 and PQ6000) and there isn't much between them apart from the Panasonic has better black levels, but that's changed this year and they're very similar.

The credits rolling is a wierd area, it's phosphor lag on the plasma TVs, Panasonics are the worst for it among the decent brands but it only occasionally comes up on my PX80, it seems to come up at a certain speed of credits, so you see it some times and don't at others. My LG is better in this respect though, it comes up less often and to a lesser degree when it does come up.

Basically, if you want the best SD performance you can get for the money it's either those two TVs, I haven't seen an LCD which can compete in the same price range, you'll need to spend a lot more for SD TV quality on LCD in my opinion. But, believe it or not the Sony CRT might be better for SD content, depending on preference and the quality of the CRT itself...you wont regret the change when you get something in HD though!

batman1056

Standard Member
Thanks - lots to think about

Its for a Xbox360 - and Wii - so on these machines - the LG is ok? - I was always a little iffy about them

Do both of them do full HD 1080p?

tvbox

Distinguished Member
Thanks - lots to think about

Its for a Xbox360 - and Wii - so on these machines - the LG is ok? - I was always a little iffy about them

Do both of them do full HD 1080p?
LGs are slightly more prone to image retention, maybe that's why you were a little iffy about them;)

You don't need 1080p because you're watching only SD TV

Panasonics have a good response time compared to LCDs and are more resistant to Image Retention.:smashin::cool:

J

Jonesy76

But the LG's have a better SD picture over the Panasonics.

Essentially you need to get out there and see for your own eyes because no matter what we say on here the best person for the decision is yourself.
Go and be ballsy in a shop that has both the LG's and the Panasonics, and ask them to run the 2 sets side by side. If they're still smiling ask them then if you can have a fiddle with the settings:devil:

Monarch

Distinguished Member
If there's nobody else there (it's happened to me!) then ask them to turn the lights off too, they might not do it, smaller places are more likely too, but then you can get an idea of what it's like in a dim environment too!

batman1056

Standard Member
LGs are slightly more prone to image retention, maybe that's why you were a little iffy about them;)

You don't need 1080p because you're watching only SD TV

Panasonics have a good response time compared to LCDs and are more resistant to Image Retention.:smashin::cool:
I will one day get hd and I will be playing he content sometimes from the of or xbox.
Did not not know the lg6000 was better than the x10.
Not bad price from pixmsnia. But only 1 yr warrenty

Monarch

Distinguished Member
There is very little between the X10 and PQ6000, it's complete preference as to which is best, although I must admit that I've seen more comments from people saying they prefer the LG when comparing to two side by side. The Panasonic is more resistant to image retention though, although that'll only be an issue if you game/use it as a PC monitor/watch news/sport channels for at least hours at a time regularly

Monarch

Distinguished Member
Sounds like someone is having second thoughs about the panny.
Will check em all out on tue. Notice RS have a 50" 3000 model for avoid price. Is this one the same - -as 6000?

The PQ3000 is the same picture wise to the PQ6000, the sound isn't as good and there's a few features missing though, and the design is more basic and a little bit more 'mainstream', same picture though. There's also the PS3000 which is the same as the PQ3000 but 1080p, then there's the PG3000, which they might have going super cheap because it's last years model, the new ones are well worth the extra :thumbsup:

Lizzybif

Established Member
If you're going to be mainly watching SD TV then a plasma would be lovely, but only really if you're going to 42" or bigger. Smaller than that and you can argue that an LCD would be more suitable.

I got a 37" Plasma (Panasonic 37X10) and am delighted with it. Much better than my Panasonic LCD.

I can only fit a 37" into my living room due to it's design but have to say it is the ideal size for me having come from a 32" LCD.:D

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom