1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Sony

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Jakobfc, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Jakobfc

Jakobfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys iam new in the plasma world and i hope somebody will be able to answer me:)
    I have bought this Plasma KE-P37XS1 (UK model number=KDE-P37XS1)
    http://www.sony.co.uk/PageView.do?s...oductcategory=/TV+Projector/TVP+Flat+Panel+TV
    but i can first be delivered 9/9 my question is:
    Is this a good Plasma TV??
    Is Sony good at plasma TVs???
    from what i have read they are good, but am i dead wrong on that??

Please help.

2. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    You could try searching for Sony or the model number on here and see what people think.

I find it a bit strange that you spend all that money without a clue on what its like and then have to ask if its any good to justify it afterwards.

Have you actually seen it in the flesh and had a play? If so and you liked it enough to buy it, then why do you have to have the approval of anybody else? If not then good luck.

3. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have seen it and must say I thought it was very good.
    It does use a ALAS panel and a lot of bad things have been said about them, however the Sony uses the WEGA engine and I thinks makes a superb job of it.
    I have the Panasonis PE30 and to be honest wish I went for the Sony.
    I think it has a sharper more detailed picture than the Panny and does not suffer from any screen flicker.
    The only down side is it is over priced.

4. Jakobfc

Jakobfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i did see it in real life.
    the reason is that i have the 36HQ100 witch there has been alot of problems with, and now Sony has agreed to take it back and give me some discount on the plasma.
    but after wards i was worried about the new set would have the same problems, but i guess not.
    Did try and search on the model number and "plasma sony" .

5. pauljbent

pauljbent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just received mine yesterday from John Lewis. After quickly fiddling around with the set up (Contrast was set to 100% out of the box!!). I must say I am quite happy with the picture quality from a digital signal, It's replaced a 32inch Toshiba CRT.
    It was the first plasma I had seen in a shop where I had thought it was actually a decent picture. That and a bit of arm-twisting from the wife convinced me to buy it.

I'm just having problems getting hold of a wall-bracket for it now.

6. bowler900

bowler900

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    As I have said elsewhere on this forum, I have had the Sony KDE-P37XS1 for about 2 months now, I am very pleased with the picture quality of this system, there are some minor niggles but I have not found the problems with this ALIS panels that others have described with ALIS in general, contrast is good (turned down to under 50%).

Providing the system has a good feed ie decent DVD then I have found the resolution to be good , there is some pixelation from Sky channels due to high compression rates but thats normal on most panels.
    The minor niggles I have are mainly things like having to sequentialy go through the AV inputs.

7. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've had a couple of sony sets (non plasma) and with the av sockets you've always been able to program the channel buttons to avoid sequentially going through the inputs. For example, on my current set, I've got av 1 rgb on channel 7, av1 non rgb on 5, av2 svid on 8, etc. Can't you do this in the channel setup?