1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Single Cable Connection

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by boxy, Aug 12, 2002.

1. boxy

boxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a newbie to this forum and after searching through the posts - I still have a question about connecting a plasma display to my system.

I intend to buy a Plasma display - probably the Panny TH42 or TH37 - My amp, DVD, VCR, Sky digibox etc are in one corner of the room - separated from the position I want the plasma display by about 4 metres. Because I will be laying the cabling under new carpets which are about to be laid, I want to minimise the number of cables from the AV rack to the display (and put in the correct cable in advance of taking delivery of the display) - My current aim is to use a single S-Video connection from my amp to the display - is this viable - if not what is the best way of connecting the Panny to my system with only one cable.

Thanks for the education - this forum has been a real learning exercise for me

2. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There would be no problem connecting all your gear via S-video IF (and this is a very big IF) you can get all your components to output an s-video signal and you have some method of switching them (either through your AV amp or an external s-video switch box).

Depending on how much work it's going to be to lay new cables in the future I would suggest laying more cables to begin with, even if you are not going to use them right away.

Most people seem to use the component inputs for DVD (not all DVD's have component output though), the VGA input (with a converter) for Sky digibox input and possibly s-vid for other things like VCR or playstation etc.

3. boxy

boxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input - really useful - I have just one more question - I hear that if I use a scart to s-video cable - then it is possible that the display will appear as black and white - not the superb colour reproduction I am hoping for. Can anyone tell me why this happens and if there is something that can be done about it

Thanks

4. markbuffyfan

markbuffyfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes mate that happens when u have not switched the ouput source to svhs do it and you have glorious colour.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I presume you're only going to do this once...so why not run your s-video and also a run of 5 core rgbhv cable in case you decide to gat the best picture possible...in fact why not run two....in fact..why not just run two rgbhv cable and terminate them as required for your sources. It's got to be easier than having to pull up carpets and re-wire when you deicde that you do actually want a better image.

Gordon