Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Plasma - Should I buy or wait?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Napier, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK so I really want a new TV as I currently have a rear projection TV. I want a plasma as they are slimmer and look nicer than DLP or normal CRT.

Only issue is I have bought Denon amp 3805 and DVD 3910 which supports HD kit. I just don't know whether I should get a new TV or wait. I really want a new one as the picture on some of the Panasonic to mention just one make are great. Also I love the idea of picture within picture so that I can have my e-mail up whilst watching whatever I like (maybe?)

Can someone list the DLP, CRT, LCD and plasmas that are for definate HD ready and approx prices.

What do you all think, should I go for it and not worry as HD is miles away or should I wait and keep the one I have for a while. If Sky is not going to start their broadcasting till 2006 TV's at good prices wont be available till 2007/8.

I am at a cross roads and really struggling could do with some help, don't want to waste my money as there is allot of scaremongering getting to me. However I also love the look of the current range of plasmas.

Please help

Napier

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    A quick search for HD compatible should lead to a wealth of material, obviously it's the hot topic. The list is very short and full of caveats and optional extras. However, the big one of those extras, a digital video scaler, is likely to remain vital equipment for the serious minded AV enthusiast for some time to come as it will seem like a lifetime before everything you want to watch is in HD format. So buying a screen like that might not seem so foolish after all.

3. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Napier,

I've got the 3805, 3910, Panny PHD7 plus Lumagen DVI here - about as future proof as you can get whilst getting the very best from standard def. O.K. far from cheap but I tell the missus that I have to be able to demo the latest kit :D :D