• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Plasma Shortlist, Help Please!

XAI

Standard Member
Hi, I am about to get either a plasma, LCD or possibly a HD projector.
Plasma is the most likely and I have drawn up a list of the best deals I can find and hope you can give me advice on what you think the best deal is.
I will sit around 4-5m away from the screen.
Panasonic TH 42PZ80 - 800 POUNDS (about 100 more than I would like).
Panasonic TH 42PX80 - 650 (sometimes with a "B" after the 80, diff model?)
Panasonic TH 42PX70PED - 650 POUNDS.
Panasonic TH 50PX7B - 700 POUNDS.
Panasonic TH 37PX80B - 575 POUNDS.
Panasonic TH 37PX70B - 600 POUNDS.

Only the Panasonic TH 42PZ80 IS 1080p, at this size screen/distance does it make much difference?

Thanks for any help you can give, or other suggestions in this price range.

audiphile76

Welcome to the forum being the first poster!

Sitting at 4-5 meters away, so you can discount straight away 1080p panels. 1080p panels of 42" will not give you any benefits. You need to go above 60" to get any 1080p definition benefits.

I would suggest that you go for a 50PX8 for your budget. Had there been a 50PX80(sadly its not planned to be available from Panasonic), i would have suggested that straight away. But definitely 50" will do justice for this large viewing distance

jamiesdad

Hi
agree with audiphile panny 50px8 with your vieing distances sounds about right the 50px8 is this years model i notice you have shotrtlisted the 50px7b

good luck in your choice:)

XAI

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies,
Great info on the 1080p audiophile, thanks.
But the Panasonic TH50PX8 is not really in my budget. The TH50PX7B is on richersounds for 700, but the TH50PX8 seems to be over 1100 most places. I am really tempted by the TH50PX7B because of the size, but got put off when I spoke to a richer sounds salesperson who said when they saw it they were not impressed by the picture. Interesting sales technique!

audiphile76

Thanks for the replies,
Great info on the 1080p audiophile, thanks.
But the Panasonic TH50PX8 is not really in my budget. The TH50PX7B is on richersounds for 700, but the TH50PX8 seems to be over 1100 most places. I am really tempted by the TH50PX7B because of the size, but got put off when I spoke to a richer sounds salesperson who said when they saw it they were not impressed by the picture. Interesting sales technique!

If budget is the issue, go for 42PX80. As said in the LCD forum, at this price, the best value is by PX80 instead of V3000. :thumbsup:
Hope you dont get a feeling later that you should have got something bigger.

XAI

Standard Member
Hi audiphile76, I took your advice and tried to get the 50", but it sold out at that price at richer sounds, and everywhere else I have seen it it is 1100 - 1400 pounds.
So now I think I will get the Panasonic TH42PX80. The problem is some places show TH42PX80 when you google them (Dixons for eg.), but when you load the page it changes description to TH42PX80B. Is this a different T.V? The website digitechelectronics.com shows TH42PX80 but has the exact same description to multizoneav.com who call it a TH42PX80B. Also Dixons say it has V-Real II Processor and the other two say V REAL 3? Any advice?

Thanks

:confused:

Julie

So now I think I will get the Panasonic TH42PX80. The problem is some places show TH42PX80 when you google them (Dixons for eg.), but when you load the page it changes description to TH42PX80B. Is this a different T.V?
:confused:

No difference, the B suffix simply means it's the UK model (British?), E would be Mainland Europe, U = USA etc..

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom