1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLASMA Screens

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by transwest, Nov 8, 2003.

1. transwest

transwest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all,
    Sorry if this has been answered previously,, I am considering getting a new TV. I was toying with a Plasma screen,,, but have heard that a Plasma is only for 'occasional' use,,, not as a full-time T.V.
    Can anyone enlighten me please ?
    My funds are limited, so would only be looking at lower end products.
    Similar details would be appreciated re: Projector kits.
    This will be for Home use only.
    ((would also appreciate reasonable priced Supplier details please))
    many thanks all
    Transwest

2. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi there.

I use my plasma (Hitachi 42PMA400E) as my daily-watch TV and my PC monitor. As long as you observe a few simple rules to minimize the risk of screen burn, there's absolutely no reason IMHO that you cannot use a plasma as your main TV.

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Like Darren, I use my plasma (Hitachi 42PD3000) as my main TV (Sky+) as well as for PC and XBOX and have no problems at all. Despite the logos on Sky and static screens on PC & XBOX there's no sign of screen burn.

HTH

John

4. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second Johndon above. Plasma is fine as an everyday TV.

5. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Thank yu very much, Hu Hu Hu!! :D

6. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I use my panasonic for everyday tv., have taught the kids to use the backup on sky to get rid of red dot etc.
    Haven't experienced any screen burn either.

7. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have recently got a Panasonic plasma after years of having an RPTV. I use plasma as I did any TV and it is fine. As per the points raised above, sensible use to prevent screenburn is recommended (although the Panny's & pio's appear to be less prone to this anyway).
    One thing I would mention, with progressive displays you will always get some form of lag with the picture to audio sync due to the inherent processing of the picture. This can be a problem if

a)You are sensitive to it
    b) sky are having a bad bitrate day !! - sometimes it can be 0.5 second out !
    c)You haven't got a delay function on your amp otherwise you'll require a stand alone device to combat this. (Behringer for stereo sources or one of the higher end devices for DD/DTS)

Non-prog plasmas (ALiS etc.) obviously don't suffer from this but picture quality can be inferior (IMO) and tweaking ability usually less.

Also, after umpteen demos it became apparent to me that on most plasma's the progressive chipsets just don't really cut it. This means that for ultimate PQ you will need to invest in some form of video processor such as the lumagen vision or upwards (cheaper ones use DCDi chipsets and this doesn't work - trust me, I've seen it side by side). Again, you could probably live without it dependent on your expectations and sources. I.e. if you have higher end prog scan DVD then onboard chipset will probably be o.k. and will bypass plasma prog scan processing,
    but if main source is sky or LD or similar then you'd be better off with it.

The most important Judge of this is your own eyeballs !! Go demo a few (properly, with a dealer who knows what he's doing - not a high street chain "Johnny no stars" !!!) and then see what you think.
    Also read through the threads here to see what the pro's & con's are & you will be armed with a few informed questions to ask when auditioning - and remember, there is no such thing as a perfect screen, just pick one whose artefacts you can live with.

If you're on a budget then I think (as long as you can accomodate their huge footprint) RPTV's are great value per picture size. I would have had one again, but plasma's are capable of amazing images when configured correctly (Also allows me to install an electric CRT projector screen in front of it for proper movie viewing.. but that's another story .....!)