Plasma Screens and Insurance.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by sapper, Nov 4, 2002.

1. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I am likely to purchase either a panny or the pioneer in the next few weeks (assuming I don't decide to wait ~ 6 months for the costs to fall further)!

However, one thought that struck me was insurance of a Plasma screen. I suspect, that as I live in a flat ( in North London), I will have a problem, esp since there seems to be a maximum level of contents insurance.

There fore,I was wondering if I should transfer my entire Audio-visual collection to a seperate insurance policy (including accidental cover). Would this sort of cover supplemetn the 'extended warranty' option?

What has every one else done as to this issue?

I look forward to hearing what opions others have taken.

Adrian

2. pauld

pauld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to my insurance broker regarding this exact issue and in my circimstances with the policy I have, I didn't have to take out a separate policy as my contents policy covered it for accidental damage and theft. So if it fell off the wall I would get a replacement under my new for old policy. I would stress though that the policy I have is significantly large and is for a detached house rather than a flat and I have always made sure that the policy is sufficient enough to cover every aspect I can think of. This is where a decent broker comes in to his own and soughts out all the issues for you.

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    While the overall level of cover may be O.K. many policies only give a maximum for indevidual items say £1500 for a £3500 plasma so watch out for this. You should be able to pay a supplement to cover the plasma in full.

4. pauld

pauld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Graham, totally agree, but checked this out with my broker already and in my case no problems. Best always to speak to your broker or insurance company to check, better safe than sorry.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remember your house insurance will only cover accident breakdown not mechanical breakdown

so if it goes tits up after 13 months, the repair bill will be huge, I think an extended warranty is an absolute must for Plasma Owners

6. pauld

pauld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally think that these extended warranties are a total con.
    I was quoted around £700.00 for an extended warranty and I think this seems to be the normal sought of cost accepted. If mine went 'tits up' after 13 months, I think it might have an 'accident' and a claim on the insurance would shortly follow.

7. PVR

PVR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder what would happen in Europe, all goods have to carry a guarantee of 2 years now. Time for the UK to get in line here.

Alternative, pay for it on a gold card, gets you another years guarantee as well.

PVR

8. voodooflux

voodooflux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    A brochure on plasma's I picked up from John Lewis at the weekend says that all their TVs include a 5 year guarantee. Guess that's reflected in the price tag though - they have the Panasonic TH-42PW5B at £4495.

v.f.

9. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Voodooflux,

Don't forget John Lewis will price match any regular "advertised" price for their electricals!

They won't match "Internet" only prices or "offer" prices but are prepared to match any price that reflects the normal selling price for that item at the other outlet, anywhere in the UK too! (ie, not just in the locality of the branch concerned.)

And you still get the Five year guarentee!

A case of "having your cake AND eating it"!

I saved many hundreds of pounds on my last major TV purchase by doing exactly this, (approx £470 if memory serves me right.)

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

10. clam

clam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can confirm this. My Panny 42" 5 series is arriving from JL on Thursday, complete with 5 year warranty. I got them to price match and paid £3500. All in all a good result.

It was a bit tricky as the 5's seem to be a bit scarce at the moment and the item must be instock at the alternative retailer for JL to price match.

11. voodooflux

voodooflux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Of course, I completely forgot - "John Lewis - never knowingly undersold."

clam - can I ask which retailer you got them to match?

Cheers
    v.f.

12. PVR

PVR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget, John Lewis also offer 10% discount when buying on-line, so match it, and then buy online, sounds good to me!:)

Regards,

PVR

13. PVR

PVR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correction, I just checked the site, and they do no sell plasma on-line ....

Also, John Lewis on-line is www.johnlewis.com, and not www.john-lewis.com as that is a solicitors web site ...:)

14. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    mmmmm

This seems tempting....

Phone up one or two suppliers, ensure that it is in stock, and at a sensible price.

Then go to the store that is knowingly never undersold and inform them that these two stores are shops, and not just internet/ecommerce retailers, and you get it at a sensible price and 5 years warranty.

I think Im sold onto this idea......

Which supplier did youask them to compete with? pm me if you feel safer please. Im still unsure whether to go for a Pioneer 433MXE, or the Pannasonic Panasonic TH-42PW5B
    or the Panasonic TH-42PWD5. I suspect that an overriding factor is whether I can get it on either interest free, or a 5 year warranty.

If I can get the MXE or the Panasonic TH-42PWD5 from JL with a 5 year warrrranty would be a good case.

Adrian

15. PVR

PVR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sapper,

Count me in as well. Just trying to organise a side-by-side demo to decide between a Panasonic and a Pioneer.

Are you in my area? If you get the deal sorted, I would like to join that as well ...

Regards,

PVR

16. aris

aris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    In my experience getting a price match from JL is not as easy as going in with the details in hand and asking for the discount.

What i've had to do is phone ahead and ask for the 'undersales' department. You give them the details. They then check it out, and post you a letter which states you can buy the item at the matched price.

The whole business can take a few days to complete. This was a couple of years ago, but I doubt it has changed.

17. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Hi,

They only seem to sell the HD versions, not the MXEV display units.

Pity

Adrian

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my Panny 4 from JL with the 5 year warranty, as I said in the other post, I think it is an absolute must to have the extended warranty

19. clam

clam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All,

here's how my experience went.....

Start with lots of research to find which shop is selling at the best price. It has to be a "genuine" shops in John Lewis terms. i.e. they must have a showroom that you can walk into and look at the plasma's.
    In my case I found 3 with prices of £3600, £3555 and £3649

When you decide to buy, phone the store with the best price and make sure they have it in stock, this is a requirement of the JL price match policy, they must have one in stock.

This is where it gets tricky, due to the popularity of the Panny all 3 retailers I had found had none in stock. Now I've been planning this purchase for months so a period of great sadness and frantic web surfing followed.

Fortunately I found another retailer who have reatail premises in London. A phone call to them revealed that they had one left in stock @ £3500.

Then a high speed drive to JL ( I work very close to the Bristol branch ! ) and order the plasma. Tell them that you've found it cheaper at retailer x and JL bloke fills out pricematch request. Then for some reason it takes them upto 2 days to confirm, why it takes them that long I don't know, but there is a whole department dedicated to "Undersales". Anyway, they call retailer x ask the price and if it's in stock, and when confirmed they adjust their price.

Ohh they'll add on a delivery also if the retailer charges one.

Simple really, hope this helps everyone.

clam.

sapper - you have pm

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CLAM is on the right track, basically how he describes it is what I did, they want a bricks n Mortar shop and in stock.

It takes a week or 2 to sort it out, but what the hell, they price match and give 5 years warranty. no other dealer in the UK does that as far as I,m aware Allders did,nt want to know when I tried with them.

another point they only sell commercial models not industrial models like the MXE Pioneer, also when I got mine about 6 weeks ago, they told me that the 5 year warranty would no longer be available on Plasma,s

it will be 2 years across the board for Plasma and 5 years for normal TV,s

Others have moaned about John Lewis, but after some initial bieing messed about, they eventually came good for me.
    price matched and full 5 year warranty so I,m a happy bunny

21. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    This is doing my head in....

Think I should just buy one and then relax and enjoy it....

But having bought is only the start....

Need to rearrange the living room
    Through out an 8 foot chease plant
    Make a new hi fi rack
    Order those little black boxes from JS
    sort out the connections...
    decide where to mount it stand or wall mount
    OH AND SPEND AGES RECONFIGURING THE PRONTO REMOTE!
    Also tinkering with the colour settings etc using my video esssentials disc.

how to pay for it in the long term

tooo many decisions! :devil: :devil:

22. PVR

PVR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sapper,

What about a garage sale? Solves all your problems, empties the living room AND provides with the funds to pay for it all ...:)

23. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sapper:

Buy it and enjoy, worry about the rest later. Even with the plasma sitting in the box in the middle of the room and playing Monsters Inc I'm still grinning :D

24. voodooflux

voodooflux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Went over to John Lewis at Solihull at lunchtime to enquire about them matching a lower price from another vendor.

Firstly, I noticed that John Lewis has reduced the price from last week from a touch under £4,500 to a touch under £4,000.

Secondly, the card with the price on said the set was a 42PHD5, while the set was actually a 42PWD5. I asked the sales assistant chap about this and he didn't seem aware of the existence of a higher definition model.

Finally, I enquired about them matching a price of £3,500 from another vendor, and the chap said they could confirm it there and then over the phone, and give me a instant decision. And this included the 5 year guarantee.

Cheers
    v.f.

25. PVR

PVR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How long can these prices keep on dropping? Are there going to be any "christmas special" deals worth waiting for.

I would be very depressed if I bought one from JL last week and see it dropped by £500 :mad:

Regards,

PVR

26. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Hi PVR, Its a rsk with any new electronics, esp with mobile phones and home PC's.

Its a risk we all take.

Id be just as irritated if Pionerr released a 433MXEV Mk 2 next week with improved colour sauration odr soemthing

Adrian

27. markyboy

markyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    The Panny that people are talking about from John Lewis,the price of 4k,does that include tuner/speakers.

Regards

28. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No

Mine was £3600 panel only - with 5 year warranty

29. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,337
    sapper

Please be assured Pioneer will NOT be releasing a PDP-433MXE MK11 in the near future - this display is only a few months old and the model cycle for Pioneer is currently around 24 months.

Though of course with Key Digital and Pioneer both set to release new plug in cards for the MXE range early in the new year you will have an opportunity to 'upgrade' your MXE system at any time.

Best regards

Joe

30. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JL claim 'to never knowingly be undersold', so if you produce evidence of a lower price elsewhere then they should honour their pledge. On two occasions I have purchased items on a price match basis, but when I have returned to the store the items have been on sale still at the original price, even though they know they are being undersold! I have also returned two separate 'damaged' goods which I have later found to be back on sale at the original price. They need to be watched.