Plasma Screen

Norman

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a Plasma display to replace my Panasonic 36PF10 and any thoughts on the pros and cons would be very much appreciated.
I’m would particularly like to know how a Plasma display without a SCART socket interfaces with a Sky Digibox.
I’m particularly interested in the Panasonic TH-37PWD4. I can purchase one of these for a lot less than the TH37PW4B, which is the version intended for the home.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Assuming the 37 has the same inputs as my 42 then LectroPacks sell a lead that you can use. Search the archives from a couple of weeks ago for "panasonic plasma" and you should find the details.

Neil

Neil

Thanks. I read your previous posts and found them very informative.

More Questions
Have you got the letropack cable and does it work?
Sky digibox's send the widescreen switching signal via SCART, so do you have to manually select the widescreen mode?
Do all Plasma screens have the ability to manually select the sync input. (I say this because the Philips 420P10 is another display on my shortlist).
What is your HONEST opinion of the picture quality.

Yes, I have the cable, cost about £60 for 3 metres so not cheap but good quality. Be aware it does not carry sound...I don't know if they could do that as a special. I use a separate phono lead from the audio outs. You may find the lip synch delay annoying if you cannot adjust that on the digi box (can't with my philips on-digital) or a surround processor (saved!).

There is no support for auto widescreen switching so unfortunately you have to do that yourself!

Not sure about the sync signal on other plasmas.

I'm no expert but if the 420P10 is the set I've seen in then I think it's awful! In my opinion all current Philips sets (TVs and plasmas) look very pixely especially with older material.

The Panasonic's very good but results do vary, I wouldn't use anything less than RGB and the input signal has a huge effect. Primary channels are generally very good but UK gold has lots of compression with on-digital and is not too cleaver. DVDs are so far marvellous!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom