1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma screen vs toddler

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GadgetObsessed, Jun 17, 2003.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    I have a toddler who likes to bang things (such as his little wooden hammer) against the TV screen. Our existing CRT stands up to this well but I am concerned about him breaking the glass if I were to replace the CRT with a plasma.

My wife has vetoed putting the screen up high where the baby could not reach it so the plan is to put it on a cabinet stand. I know that some forum members have covered their screens with perspex to protect them from scratching etc. but I wonder how much protection this gives from a direct impact?

Are the softer but less brittle LCD screens more child proof?
    Can I assume that all plasmas are made with decent toughened safety glass?

I could always take my son to Sevenoks HiFi and let him strength test the plasma and LCD screens there.

2. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Why not wall-mount the toddler where his little hammer cannot reach the AV gear?

I am sure that Unicol will supply a good bracket if you give them measurements.....

:D

3. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    You could erect a plasma force field around the panel :eek:

Or wait for the new 6-series panasonics which, apparently, come with one fitted.

I'm not helping much, am I ......

4. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Garyd,

I used a perspex sheet over mine. Around 6mm thick and bent over at each end to hook over the screen top.

The perspex covers the screen entirely, in fact it overhangs by about 5mm a side. I used little rubber stops around the ebges of the perspex (the ones that are used for stops on kitchen cupboard doors) and where the screen hooks over the plasma I put sticky velcro along the edge to stop any marks where the hooks go.

None of the perspex touches any part of the glass on the plasma and the rubber stops will not mark the panel edges either.

I can tell you that you could hit a golf ball full bore at the plasma and it would not break it! It would smash the perspex but I am pretty sure the screen would remain intact.

I have a two year old and he has hit the perspex a few times but on the whole he is pretty good. I do feel a lot better having the cover on though I can tell you.
    :smashin:

Lennyz

5. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have a similar dilemma. I'll probably mount the plasma (when I get it) on the wall, out of reach, but my little one is rather good at throwing things too...

Lennyz
    I like your solution - did you have to get the perspex specially made to fit, or did you bend it over at the ends yourself.
    Any chance you can post a picture of it here?

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    luckily, I don't have kids yet so don't have the same problem. However, a friends 2 year old did try to play a nice jammy piece of toast in my new VCR once. I guess it was my fault for buying equipment with a bread sized hole in the front.

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Two year old StooMonster Jnr is unable to touch the 50" plasma as it mounted on the wall above the fireplace. :cool:

One of my friend's doesn't let his kids in the room containing his 50" plasma stand mounted, not unless they are heavily supervised. :smoke:

Another friend mounted his 50" on the wall, but too low; constantly has toddler finger prints all over the bottom half of the screen. :eek:

StooMonster

8. DEANO65

DEANO65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine is 4 ft up the wall ,its silver so i put a ikea stainless steel shelf under neath looks the biz,no more greasy fingerprints if anybody wants to see ill email u jpeg

9. zorg2000k

zorg2000k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Wouldn't mind a look if poss

zorg2000k@zoom.co.uk

L8tr

Zorg

10. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Big Ade,

I cut the perspex myself and did the bending to create the hooks at the top. perspex is amazingly strong and flexible. If you are struggling I could make one for your plasma. Not sure on cost but if you are interested I can look into it?

We have facilities at work for cutting so it shouldn't be difficult to make another.

Lennyz

11. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for the offer Lennyz, will give it a bash myself....once I've actually got a plasma of course!

Forgive my ignorance, but what tools are needed to size and shape the perspex? Would an ordinary circular saw be suitable for cutting and is it possible to bend the perspex by hand? I really am pretty clueless about working with perspex. :blush:

Any chance you can post a photo of yours so we can see what it looks like?

12. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Not an issue for me. Mine is over the fireplace. Looks great and no worries about damage from little fingures.

I think wall mounting is the only way to go with these personally. One of their biggest benefits is the space saving / aethetics.

Just my opinion.

13. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Big Ade,

You can cut it with a circular saw but unless you have a very fine blade it will chip the perspex badly.

At work we use a wallsaw with a fine blade which gives straight accurate cuts. Obviously you can't do this but a good way of cutting perspex is by using a router with a fine cutting blade using a guide.

Another consideration is the edge treatment, after cutting perspex it gets sharp the edge shows up cutting marks badly..esp using a coarse blade. If you use a fine blade you can sand the edges and finish them with an small flame on the oxy-acetylene which melts the surface and gives a smooth finish...you have to careful not to burn the edges though as they will bubble and go rough.

I can send you a couple of piccies if you like. Just PM me with your email address and I will try and sort it.

Lennyz