Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Plasma screen / TV tuner solution

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by PeeWee, Mar 28, 2003.

1. PeeWee

PeeWee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm enjoying my new MXE very, very much (thanks to Joe for his advice and support and the articles I read in this forum).

Now I am at a point where others must have been earlier: As you know, the MXE is in fact a monitor and does not come with a TV tuner. At this moment, I'm using an VCR as a TV tuner (cable input). Picture quality is certainly not bad, due to the pdp-5002 video card of the plasma, I think. But because it's just an ordinary VCR (no teletext, mono and I can't use the VCR anymore for recording one TV program while watching another), there must be even better solutions, including teletext and stereo.

What I already tried or considered:

- The AVer TVBox 3. But it dissappointed me: Even my VCR tuner outperformed it in picture quality (in comparison, the AVer was unsharp and colours washed out and made a lot of noise when switching channels)

- Thought of using the Pioneer DVR-7000 DVD recorder (with component outputs) as a TV tuner. That may be very good, but will cost me a lot for functionality that I'm not ready for.

- A local dealer is able to provide me the Pioneer tuner that comes with the HDE version of the screen, but we discovered that the connections won't fit.

- The new, coming up TV tuner videocard for the MXE of course! But from this forum, I read that I then will lose my component connections I am using for my DVD player (PAL prog.) Aaargghh.

What do you, other plasma monitor owners use or recommend as a TV tuner?

Greetings, PeeWee

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi PeeWee,

Good choice of plasma!:p Hope you enjoy it - I'm hoping to get one of these next month, Key card permitting. For a tuner, have you considered a Freeview box or a Sky Digital box? I believe the Nokia 221T Freeview box has had very good reviews and is available for about £130. I think Panasonic make the best SD boxes. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. PeeWee

PeeWee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dutch, hope your happy with your coming up MXE. In fact, I know you will.

What I didn't write, was that I live in the Netherlands where we don't have digital terestrial TV (or dvb-t, comparable to your 'Freeview' I think) yet. So a box like the Nokia you mentioned can't be used. But that may change coming months, because a firm called Digitenne starts with such broadcasts.

But I have an experience with satellite TV. A dealer gave me a demo: He showed me several satellite broadcasts on a same kind of plasma I have. He did so, using two differtent, good quality, receiver boxes (Topfield, Asscom) but it dissapointed me. Still pictures were ok, but moving images showed a kind of behind-stripes. Again, my good old VCR on (analog) cable signal, outperformed it.

So until now, I think I'm after a TV tuner that has analog-cable- signal input.

Or should I expect more from the coming up 'Terestrial Digital tv' in our country. I wonder if it's better than satellite?

Greetings, Peter

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi Peter,

In the UK, terrestrial digital TV is generally pretty poor due to the low broadcast power and bit rates used. Sky digital satellite is generally higher quality although it could be better of course!;) I guess you'll have to wait and see what your terrestrial DTV system will be like.

Steve

5. PeeWee

PeeWee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's exactly what I'm going to do: I stick with my VCR and analog cable, until I am convinced about the superior quality of DVB-T and DVB-S. At this moment, I am not.

Ok, digital is the future, but quality depends on compression factors and will not automatically result in better quality than analog cable signal.

It's funny that I get so little respone from other users on this issue.

Thanks for thinking with me,
    PeeWee

6. john kelly

john kelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    picture quality gets better with this box which is a good point.
    works on hitachi tv in d-sub connector.

now the bad points,
    no teletext so box is faulty.
    bad picture pixals on fast moving pictures.
    picture lines appear every now and then.
    picture is not dead centre, needs to have a setting in the menu to let you move the picture that is being dispalyed.

would i recommend to buy one, well you pay your money and make your choice.

if the bad points were improved or removed i would buy one, maybe tvbox 4 will be better who knows.

mine is going back as not happy with the bad points, buy direct from aver and you can return the unit if not happy.:rolleyes:

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    How were you connecting the sky boxes? just with composite like the VCR? You've got your DVD on the rgbhv bnc's, you could have a rgbscart to rgb and sync on G or composite made up, but you'd be better with a rgb to vga converter. I can only imagine they showed you a composite picture....