1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma screen recommendations please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by wossname, Jun 1, 2005.

1. wossname

wossname
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I ordered and received a LG RZ-42PX11 with wall brackets from QED; the Plasma arrived about 3 weeks ago, the wall brackets were on special order from LG.

Yesterday, I received an email from QED informing me that LG had discontinued the wall brackets so I have cancelled the order and QED are going to contact me to arrange to pick up the Plasma and give me a full refund. I really need some advice as to what Plasma to buy now; it ideally should:

1) be at least 37"
    2) cost £1800 (or less) including wall brackets, delivery (3 year warranty optional but preferable)
    3) Preferably be HD ready

I have digital cable and a decent sound system via an amp so (I assume) speakers and tuner are not needed.

All recommedations of makes, models and retailers will be gratefully received and considered. :lease:

2. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I set myself a price budget, I decided what I wanted and couldn't afford, then waited 3 months for the price to drop to what I could now buy and made some interest at the bank. I'm sure you'll be buying a HD ready panel if you wait patiently and keep watching the trader sites for latest prices and deals.

Don't forget buying a plasma can be a bundled deal - stands, delivery, speakers, warranties, trader reputation, so price isn't the only yardstick.

3. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wossname - did you view the picture of the plasma at all? and if so were you pleased with the image??

If the only reason for cancelling is due to the wall bracket and you were please with everything else, then see if you can get a discount to cover the cost of buying a thirdparty wall mount. AVsales have a universal wall mount that may fit the LG.

gary

4. wossname

wossname
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I didn't view the picture and am glad I didn't as QED only take it back if it's unopened and in the same condition that it arrived in. If I could get hold of a universal bracket then I would probably buy the same screen again as it is cheap enough to keep for 5 years before upgrading to an HD ready screen. I have already been putting off buying a Plasma for about 18 months, waiting for the prices to come down and don't really want to wait much longer.

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    if you can wait for HD there are some great deals on the panny pwd7 at the moment!

6. wossname

wossname
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the suggestion nealgs - I have cancelled the cancellation and ordered a universal tilt wall mount from AV sales. :thumbsup: It cost a bit more than the LG mount but is probably worth the extra hassle of sending a screen back, being reimbursed and then shopping around for a new screen. I will hopefully have it up on the wall soon and not before time!

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    So Why on earth did you order an LG that has fixed speakers and a tuner in the first place? PWD7 have been aroun £1400 for a month or two, Pio MXE1 is now £1800 (as close to HD ready as you will get for £1800 has HD res just need an "HD ready" input board, The PWD7 and the MXE1 Are better screens MXE is 1024x768 res and PWD7 while only SD 852x480 is the best SD screen out there!

SOrry if i sound harsh but really does seem like you havent thought this one through.......

8. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Wossname,

Have just bought the Pio MXE1 from Richer Sounds for £1800 as HornyDragon stated above. First impressions are a very smooth pic and nice looks! If you want one of these then be quick as RS only have a few left around the country. It should come with the 5004 video card and 1 years warranty.

Steve

9. wossname

wossname
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I researched plasmas as best I could but kept getting bogged down in technical jargon which made no sense - the LG seemed the cheapest and simplest plasma around. I'm now looking at the PWD7 at AV sales (http://www.av-sales.com/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42pwd7_plasma.html) - what would I need in terms of terminal boards to make it HD ready?

Edit - I have now cancelled my order for the RZ42 PX11 (again!) and the order for the wall mount from AVsales. The PWD7 looks to be excellent value especially if it can easily be made HD ready and looks certain to replace the LG. I don't know what to order with it though as all the 'terminal boards and accessories' mean little or nothing to me.

10. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Wossname,

You won't be able to make the PWD7 HD ready in as far as 1)the res is not big enough and 2)it doesn't support 50hz at native rate 3)there is not a HDCP board for it.

Have a read thru this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154292&highlight=beginner It contains a lot of info so read carefully!

To decide what boards you need you will have to list out your equipment and then people on the forum/at AV Sales if you purchase the PWD7 from there can give you some recommendations.

Steve

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    1) its SD res so will never be "HD ready" 2 It does soppurt native at 50/60 and 75 Hz IIRC but only on analogue component and RGBHV 3) there is a choice of 2 HDCP inputs DVi and HDMI but neither will do 720p or 1080i at 50Hz so as long as you stick to 60Hz or analogue connections then you are fine, it will dwonscale 720p and 1080i to fit its pixels. 720p is actually the best way to feed a panny.....I suuggets you go For PWD7 in mount for £1269 is it add Dual slot terminal board +£50 DVi Board (not essential at the mo) and a JS RGB>VG adapter for use with Sky. then VD can connect compoanet to Dual slot and and you still have a spare -video/ Composite video input for Camcorder VCR etc....Total is under £1500 and can add an extra 2 years TADL Assist warranty from AV-sales for £250 ish IIRC so ring em back ask for a quoate at specuial forum offer for the above:
    42" PWD7 (charcoal or silver)
    Wall mount
    Dual slot board
    JS RGB>VGA
    VGA cable
    +2 yr warranty
    And any cables you feel you need VGA cable, RCA>BNC component cable for DVD etc.

12. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    see, what did I tell you Wossname, someone on the forum will come to your rescue and you can always count on Horny :thumbsup:

13. wossname

wossname
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've read through that thread which helped but raised some questions - my head is spinning! :confused:

My present set up is:
    A JVC AV-28WR2EK CRT linked to a Samsung NTL box, a a Toshiba D-R1SB DVD recorder and a Kenwood KRF-V4060D amp which supplies sound to my Eltax Liberty Surround System.

All I want to replace is the CRT with a plasma (probably the Panasonic TH-42PWD7BS from AVsales) so what do I need, if anything, by way of components, terminal boards, warranties and connections?

Thanks for everyones help so far - it seems to have saved me making a £1700 mistake! :)

Edit - This may be a really stupid question but what is a terminal board?!

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    P dont worry too much about HD ready (the LG wasnt and only in the last week or so have any HD ready sets come in under £2k Buy a PWD7 now enjoy for three years then when HD is availble properly I am sure a 50" HD ready 1080p flat TV will be £2K or less, remember that back in 2002 a 42" SD screen was £4k
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/wvreviews/Plasmas/NEC/NECPlasmasync42MP3.php
    And they werent very good
    the PW7 (lower spec than the PWD) was reviewed in Feb this year at £2,300 street porice at the time was £1,300
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5456

15. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Wossname,

A terminal board is just like a PC card - it has the video conectors on it. On the Panny panels you just slot it in at the bottom and voila, away you go!

Where are you based? Suggest going to AV Sales in Kent and having a demo of the screen. You can then see for yourself all the components you will need and can have a good chat with them. A lot of forums members have bought from them so they are highly recommended.

Steve

16. wossname

wossname
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I live in Darlington (County Durham) so a trip to Kent is pretty much out of the question! I have, as Horny Dragon suggested, phoned AV Sales and asked for a quote on the items he listed - they are going to get back to me in about half an hour so its a case of waiting. hopefully they will reply with and offer I can't refuse and I'll have a new plasma screen on its way tonight.

17. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Well done and good luck with the purchase.

18. wossname

wossname
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does this sound about right?

AVForums Panasonic TH-42PWD7 Plasma Screen
    (TH-42PWD7BK) - TH-42PWD7BK Charcoal Finish Includes discounted ISF calibration offer
    (OPB1) - Slimline Tilting Wall Mount FREE
    (JS-RGB-VGA) - RGB to VGA JS Converter Box +£110.15
    (WA021B) - 3 year on-site loan exchange warranty +£179.00
    (TY-42TM6Y) - Component SVHS Composite Dual Slot BNC +£50.00
    (VAN022) - 2m length +£75.25

TOTAL: £1687.44

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sounds ideal mate (what a VAN022) is i have no idea tho sorry..........Would help if you told us what AMP DVD player you have too....

20. wossname

wossname
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The VAN022 is the VGA cable that you recommended. I have a Toshiba D-R1SB DVD recorder and a Kenwood KRF-V4060D amp.

21. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    thats a nice set up there wossname...you will not be disappointed!

22. wossname

wossname
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ordered! :D
    Thanks to everyone who helped. :thumbsup:

23. silentsleeper

silentsleeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,

as a long time lurker i have become addicted to these forums!

for a long time i have been seduced by the dark side of hd and the appeal of the pv500. now to be honest i'm not sure i am bothered about hd (at least in the next few years). so for me its down to the pe50 and the pwd7.

i find the relative simplicity and lack of speakers etc quite appealing. it also seems that the underlying current coming from some of the more experienced users is that if pq is your top priority then a pure panel rather than a tv is the way to go.

wossname (and any other pwd7 owners): are you happy with the pwd7?. i am considering the exact same set up as you so would appreciate your opinion. i just now need to demo the two beasts. :)

24. wossname

wossname
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am really pleased with the screen - picture quality is excellent, fairly easy to install, easy to operate and looks fantastic on the wall. Recommended screen. :cool: