1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma screen queries

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GAmbrose, Jul 5, 2003.

1. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Hi guys, came here on recommendation from The DVD Forums.

My 4 year old 28" Widescreen Toshiba 'blew up' this morning when I turned it on to watch the F1. It went bang and there was a blue flash of something.

4 years is no age at all for a T.V to die, and i'm sure it can be repaired for a few hundred quid, but it might be a good excuse just to get a better one.

Now, as I understand it the 6th generation Plasma screens are due out shortly and these might be worth a purchase.

So questions:

1) Which manufacturers are generally considered to make the best Plasma screens and where can I find online reviews?

2) How much would I expect to pay for a 42" plasma screen at this juncture?

3) Is an RF tuner neccessary if you have Sky Digital? And do Plasma TV's come with both RGB Scart and S-video sockets as standard?

4) What are the main drawbacks of plasma screens, if any? Do they suffer from screen burn like RPTV's can do and what is their viewing life like?

I'd be very grateful for your answers on this matter. It's definately between a 36" CRT and 42" plasma.

Gary A

2. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    :eek: Just gotta be the Plasma! :smashin:

3. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would agree with LDJ - go for the plasma and I am sure you won't regret it.

I can try and answer one of your questions:

1) Panasonic (and Toshiba which are at least currently re-badged panasonics) and Pioneer seem to be the current leaders.

Too drunk to try and answer the others at the mo.....
    :zonked:

4. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Thank for the answers thus far.

Reading a few threads here there seems to be some dicussion over which plasma screen is currently better. the Panasonic TH42PW5B or the Hitachi 42PMA400E, correct?

Gary A

5. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic for true black, colours and contrast. £3000-£3500 if you browse the Internet. LG is a good value set at around £2000, try Richer Sounds. Sound & Vision, http://www.soundandvision.uk.com/about.html
    have a good selection of plasmas at competitive prices. Most of the negative comments on these forums can be ignored. It is human nature to find fault rather than give praise!

6. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Although they aren't the cheapest, Crampton and Moore are selling the Panasonic TH42PW5 for £2990.00 inc VAT with 16 months interest free credit. I know most shops are just trying to get rid of their stock of the PW5's for the upcoming PW6's but that seems like a cracking deal to me.

As well as mainly getting used for DVD's, I also have a PS2, Gamecube and X-box. How are Plasmas at coping with videogames?

Gary A

7. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  8. Glauco BruZZi

Glauco BruZZi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) Which manufacturers are generally considered to make the best Plasma Screens?

Panasonic , Fujitsu & Pioneer. IMO

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4) What are the main drawbacks of plasma screens, if any? Do they suffer from screen burn like RPTV's can do and what is their viewing life like?

Black Levels and False Contouring. IMO

Plasmas do suffer from burn-in like crts. But unless you leave a static image for hours/days and watch a same 4:3 or 2.35:1 material straight for a pretty long time, It won't be an issue.