1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma screen problem... Black vertical band

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by BliarOut, May 21, 2005.

1. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya, newbie here and my first post is one of woe...... My plasma TV has just gone kinda pop!

It's a 42" Techwood and until today it's been just fine.

It hasn't totally blown, but I was watching it (During the cup final!) and a black vertical band just appeared on the screen at the same time as a flash of lightning occured outside. I think I may have heard a quiet "pop" as it went. I was watching through cable, so the only possibility of a surge is through the power supply. This black band is about 1 1/2" wide around 6" from the right of the screen. I've done the usual power off stuff to no avail and now she's staying switched off as it's still there.

Now I know nothing about TV, but it's as if there's probably twenty things that fire light/electricity/photons/magic fairy dust magic fairy dust vertically and just one of those has gone pop.

Two questions.

Does it sound terminal/expensive as it's not under warranty?

Is it a home insurance claim? The band appeared at exactly the same time as a flash of lightening.

Any thoughts appreciated. I can't do anything about it until Monday now as the repair shop/insurance companies are shut :(

2. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Dont mention the storm if you make a warrenty claim!

3. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not under warranty... That's why I was going to claim on the house insurance unless it's an inexpensive fix.

Just have no idea on a likely cost at the mo.

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    i didn't think Techwood have been selling plasmas for a year yet!
    it must be under warrenty.
    If the screen has gone, as appears from your description, it wll cost the price of a new plasma.

5. minisisme

minisisme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Com'on you experts out there we need an answer to this problem. I'm trying to decide between plasma and LCD. I've already had a VCR machine damaged by lightning. Fortunately the repair man suggested I claimed off my house ins. and gave me a letter for the company to that fact.

Is LCD any more robust than plasma?

6. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, bought mine on 24th March 2004..... You can tell I've been checking. As I mentioned, it's a 1" band of the screen that's gone. The rest is perfect :mad:

I would love to hear what the experts think, but it sounds like I'll be ringing the insurance company tomorrow :suicide:

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Had the same thing happen to my Panasonic 42PWD6. A black vertical bar appeared while watching a DVD one afternoon. Basically, it's borked and the panel needs replacing.

8. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    How long is a piece of string?

Well the fact is that lightning strikes are never the same twice, so 10 plasmas could get struck and each one might have a different fault.... it all depends on how close the lightning was to your house, how big the strike was etc..... bearing in mind that lightning is many thousands and thousands of volts.

So all you can really do with any electrical equipment is to make sure you have surge protection (these are cheap nowadays and everyone should have one!) - but even they won't help if the lightning strike is very very close and you get a direct hit.

Praying works sometimes ;)

9. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just read my home insurance..... I'm covered for lightening damage and accidental damage to TV's etc :)

Time for a "What's the best big tv for £2K" thread soon!!

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    One of your panel driver circuit boards is shafted, it's terminal with a techwood I'd think. Get the claim form in, and get that thread going. Have a quick read, try a search for 'help a beginner' and for £2k, you can have your cake and eat it, and buy a surge board with the change.

11. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cake and eat it, I like that!

Does it sound likely it was the lightning that blew it? I don't want a big scrap with the insurers if the most likely cause was indeed the surge. There's always a danger they may say it's just faulty!

Who knows, I may even dip into my pocket for a surge arrestor..... Wise after the event! :oops:

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    As it happened during the storm, I think you have a fair chance. If you can put your hand on your heart to the insurers and say that, they should pay. £2k, if you can 'do it yourself', can get you a PWD7 panasonic panel, surround sound, dvd, a 'real' home cinema, albeit with budget oriented components. It's what the majority here choose, after a bit of reading and a few questions. A man with fire in his bottom will be along shortly I have no doubt. He is responsible for at least 100 setups done from the forum's advice that we know of.

13. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already have a Cyrus DVD8, and there was nothing budget about that... Ouch went my back pocket :)

I'll await the arrival of the man with flaming trousers :D

14. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update:

Does anyone know for certain if this is totally terminal with the Techwood 4210? (I'm not doubting you BTW MAW, just trying to figure out what's likely to happen) I have spoke to my insurers who were very nice about it. They are sending a company called Empire Commercial to look at it and try to repair it first. If not, they'll pay up.

I love my big TV, so it's ok if they fix it, but having looked at what's around a part of me wants it to be terminal so I can go with what you guys seem to choose :)

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It is technically repairable probably, unless it's the connection on the glass that's gone, I just doubt they will bother. You've got a good DVD to start you off then! Might have to revise the kind of system we suggest! What posessed you to buy a Techwood and a cyrus? Must be the strangest mix I've ever heard of!

16. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol, I know, I know! Have you ever had that "I want a [Insert toy of your choice here] and I want it NOW" urge? I did :D

Assuming it's dead I'm thinking of something along the following lines:

Get myself a Cyrus AV8, which was always in the pipeline and 3 * smart power amps to complete the intended audio setup.... (Yes, I know I've already blown more than the entire budget on that alone!)

Plasma........ Over to you guys on that, but not spend the whole £2K

I usually watch TV through Cable (A Samsung box) as I don't have a roof mounted ariel of any sort. Am I right in assuming that I need an external tuner or am I right in just using the cable?

Damn this forum, my head's spinning already. I feel there will be questions a plenty.

17. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, Insurance company are digging in on this.

First they said there was no lightning on the day in question according to their system so I had to get the Met Office to send them the actual weather report :rolleyes:

Now they claim their engineers report says it's down to normal wear and tear after fourteen months. Pah, I don't call that normal wear and tear.

I haven't been able to get a look at their report as yet, but I suspect the engineer went something along the lines of "PSU is alive, it's not lightning" I wouldn't be surprised if the back hasn't even been off yet.

So now I need my own engineers report to back up my assertation as it happened at exactly the time of the lightning flash.

My understanding of what probably happened is:
    I need a good engineer in Cambridgeshire who understands the likely effects of lightning and can provide a well worded rebuttal for my insurers. Any suggestions?

We get faults like this all the time in our network switches, but unfortunately I can only report on IT equipment failures in my professional capacity.