1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma screen + light reflection

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PhillV, Jun 9, 2004.

1. PhillV

PhillV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wonder if anybody can give me their experiences.

Currently I own a Toshiba 46" Rearprojection, which sits in my living room facing a 1.8 metre wide window. As the TV doesn't have a glass frontage, I do not have any issues with reflections from bright light etc.

I am considering changing the set to a plasma and for something bigger however, i have concerns that all I will be staring at is a big reflection of my living room window, and would prefer not to have to close the curtains every time I want to watch TV/film

Are there currently any panels that have low reflection? Any comments would be appreciated.

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I suggest you nip down to your local Currys/Comet/JL to get an idea for yourself just how reflective plasma glass is. It won't reflect badly from internal lights but they're not gonna enjoy direct sunlight very much!! I've got a Panny on behind me and there's no sunlight on it but you can make out reflection of the trees outside, again you should really demo for yourself because the reflection isn't enough to bother me personally.

As for specifically low reflection - the only one I know of that's any good is the VP4D range of the NEC VP4 (same price and spec just different AR coating). It's intended for airports etc where there may be high ambient light or the screen is positioned pointing out of a window.

http://www.nec.co.uk/42_Public_Display.aspx

HTH

3. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I had a panny 6 facing a bay window. I felt it was about the same as my old crt with the light on it, but that was only on sunny days and we don't get many of those in "sunny" wales. Also, most days I'm in work so that also made the point largely academic.

I think if you were going from a crt to plasma, you wouldn't notice any difference. However, if you're going from a non reflective surface then I would think that anything you change to is going to cause you problems as you've got used to the current situation and any bit of glare etc is going to irritate you (at least I think it would me if I were in that position).

At the risk of sounding sarcastic (and I'm not, honestly), on those rare days I actually was at home when the sun was shining, I used to draw the curtains and that generally solved the issue.

Best of luck anyway.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Hello Phillv

I cant see you being happy with any PlasmaTV, Plasma Display or CRT for that matter in daylight.

The Black Stripped lenticular on your RearPro is designed to 'soak up' a lot of ambient light - much more so than the front filter on a Plasma TV.

If you had the Plasma at an angle to the window you could get away with it for daytime/daylight viewing but head on it will be a pain.

Some of the Plasma Display models (Pioneer, Panasonic etc) do have light sensors and can be optimised for viewing in low ambient light and then allow the screen to boost contrast and light output when higher light levels are present; though you'll still 'see' your 'window' if its head on with the display.

Best regards

Joe

5. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I feel the same Phil, (I also have the same tv as you) The new pioneer 505 range suppossedly has a plastic front and may not reflect. I guess we'll have to wait 'til the Autumn to find out