1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma screen height

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ReggieDaMole, Sep 23, 2004.

1. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: Why oh why do people fix their plasma screens high up on the wall. Way above the normal viewing height of a standard screen on stand? Surely this gives you neck ache??? Always wondered? Is it just an asthetic thing i.e trying to fill the wall? From what I see people hang them at the same height as a picture. You only glance at a picture - you don't stare at it for hours on end.....

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    The top of my 42" screen is at eye level when I stand up (i'm 6'3") and it perfectly confortable to watch when sitting on the sofa around 10 ft away, no problem with neck strain at all.

John

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    mine is out of reach of the 3 year old, who loves to tap
    metal cars on Tv screens.

4. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    The top of my screen is just over 6' above the floor. I was advised to have it mounted lower, but this level is totally comfortable to watch from 12' away.

You do have to think about the aesthetics of the room as well. If you are wall hanging a screen, it would look pretty stupid 3' off the floor!

If you want one at 'normal screen height', I would recommend stand mounting it.

5. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mine is around six foot high at the top............looks better on the wall ie picture height and it's just the right height when on the sofa sitting back with ya head resting on the top! :thumbsup: :clap:

6. Fluff

Fluff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree :smashin: , very expensive and delicate plasma screens and young children don't really mix.

Mine is also mounted so the top is about 6 foot from the floor, plus this leaves plenty of space below to fit some furniture (ie a sideboard containing all the CDs and DVDs) as well as the centre speaker

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    snap!
    [​IMG]

8. Fluff

Fluff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the process of setting up my system, which has involved tiling the wall (with floor tiles) and hiding all the cables. Only thing is, I never considered the issue of drilling holes through the tiles, which are porcelain. Result is the need to buy special drill bit, costing £3 a shot, which only last two holes before burning out. Also takes 15 minutes to drill each hole.

Never mind, I am sure the effort will be worth it in the end!!!

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The solution with the cars is to tap them on the little blighter's head till he gets the message! Well perhaps that's a bit radical, but My kids have never and would never, do any such thing, and my screen base is 80cm above the floor. Would not have it any other way, it's a b***** TV not a picture, I find it exceedingly unnatural to look up at my TV. I would have had it lower, but this is the height of the top of my radiator cabinet.

10. Starky

Starky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best out the road of small sticky fingers, wall mounted screens viewed best on recliners (especially if your a couch potato like me, lol).

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    When you're sat down your eyes should ideally be level with near the centre of the screen. That is the most comfortable viewing height.

The further you are away from the screen you can get away with having it mounted much higher as the angle to the centre of the screen decreases.

Lots of people have it mounted on walls...far too high for my liking and ideal viewing to be honest. But if it suits, then that's fine. Having a screen wall mounted 3' high does look odd but stands are generally designed for this viewing height anyway ?

Having it mounted at picture height, I always thought originated from 'show homes' where you don't sit down but walk around. Since you are standing the height appears more suitable. I personally couldn't live with that set up as it would induce neck ache. However, it's all personal anyway.

12. Rollin

Rollin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bottom of mine is 40cm from floor. When sat on sofa my eyes are level with middle of screen. Why have it higher? You don't see CRTs on 4 ft stands do you.

13. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I dunno, I always found a CRT on a stand too low for "head resting on back of sofa" style viewing, but ultimately, I don't care where anyone puts their TV. If they're happy with it, more power to them. However, I wonder if anyone has ever considered mounting it vertically so they can watch it lying on their side...

Si

14. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Wouldn't have thought so, considering they can only be mounted and transported one way up and doing anything else will simply void the warranty... :)

15. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well, by vertically I mean in "Portrait" mode, which a number of screens offer I seem to recall (for digital signage purposes and all that). Now I stress, I'm not *recommending* anyone do this :D

Si

16. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Mine is less than 2' from the floor and doesn't look stupid at all.

I always understood the centre of the screen should be at eye level when seated, which ours is.

17. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Ours is just under 60.
    Like you we had a radiator in the way which would have necessitated fixing it higher up so I just removed the radiator.
    A 10 minute job and well worth the results.

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ekko is on the right track, a portrait screen will still have the picture vertical. I can't think of any reason why a screen could not be mounted sideways, but nobody try it without more consultation!

19. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Gatwick airport has quite a few Panasonic PW6's mounted vertically in the departure lounge.

20. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    are we talking mounted vertically or portrait mode :confused:

Bit strange really, since as soon as you transport them vertically or sideways on, you invalidate your warranty.

It's one of the reasons that most places will insist on delivering to your home as it will be transported correctly. If you were to take from the store yourself you invalidate your warranty.

In which case it's bizarre that you can officially mount them vertically ? :confused:

I would NOT try it if I were you.

21. jkirkebo

jkirkebo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Samsung PPM-42S3QX (commercial monitor version of 4th gen.) even comes with computer software to enable the pivot function, so I'd say it's safe to mount at least this screen sideways.

22. roligan

roligan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning on buying the Spectral S1452 or S1453 furniture (www.spectral.nl). One is 470mm high the other is 570mm high.

With my 42 inch panny on a desktop stand the middle of the picture will either be 82cm or 92 cm from the floor. So my question is which height do you think is best. I get the sense that 82cm makes you look down just a bit (I'm 174cm high).

Any input?

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hair splitting, mate. I'd say the higher option, but with the size of picture the % difference is small.

24. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Each to their own I guess,but I for one would find it extremely uncomfortable having the panel at such a height that you are looking up at it.

Eye level would make a lot more sense to me,and,in my opinion,wouldn't look nearly as out of place as one mounted 6 foot from the floor.Some of those panels in the "Get your Plasma's out..." post,look lost being so far up a wall,with nothing but a void underneath them.

25. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I agree completely, to me nothing looks more stupid than a TV instead of a Turner print. I constantly 'argue' with clients over the mounting height. I think it's show homes that cause all this. Interior designers furnish and fit them, and nobody ever sits down in a show home, so it looks right. But not many of us watch TV standing up. ( except rugby world cup finals) But at 570mm to the base of the stand, that's not what we are talking about. That's still lower than Brogan's screen, and nearly a foot lower than mine. Must finish my own install and post it sometime!

26. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm wanting to go the other way and have the screen (probably a Panny 37" 7-series) on the floor (no stand), just resting against the wall. I'm not completely stupid, so I'd have brackets behind it discretely securing it to the wall. I just want to avoid the 'Hey, look at my Home Cinema' look. The speakers (probably Orb Audios) would just be lying around (in the right configuration). We'd be about 12 feet from the screen, so not much of an angle...

27. kirakira

kirakira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe you havent noticed this but you still see right side up regardless which way you're head is tilted as your brain when it can sense your orientation, can adjust your interpretation of the image accordingly. You will still get a 90 degree tilted image with a vertically mounted plasma even if you are lying on your side (unless that part of your brain is a flawed). :)

28. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To all those who have said the picture should be at 'eye level' >>> NO! Light doesn't interact with gravity (to a noticeable extent over 3m), light doesn't know how far the screen is from the floor.

The picture should be directly in your eyeline which depends on the angle of your head, which depends on how you sit.

The same argument doesn't necessarily apply to speakers because sound bounces of things like the floor, so I'm sure we could find an audiophile to argue that your ear should be the same distance from the floor as the tweeter, or that the speaker should not be tilted relative to the wall.

Jim

29. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I think we did have a brief touch on the subject of a rear projection system in the bedroom ceiling....ie in the eyeline, and yes, in an ideal audiophile world the speakers are level with the ears, but hey, this is not a perfect world, and maybe it's not so important with modern sat/sub setups.

30. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is your definition of 'level with your ears' ?