1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma screen from the Media Factory

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nutter, Sep 24, 2002.

1. nutter

nutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

A few days ago I received my Panasonic 42PWD4 display from Joe at the Media Factory and I am MOST impressed! Not only is the picture quality on the panny amazing but the service provided by Joe has been top-notch. I ordered the screen, wall mount, cables and a JS RGB-component converter last Monday and the whole kit was delivered to my door on Saturday by Joe in person (due to a delay in the delivery of the wall mount during the week).... NOW how many stores will do that to make sure you get all the kit on time!!??!! I would recommend anyone thinking of getting a plasma to talk to Joe, he really knows what he's talking about!

For anyone who's interested the final system comprises of the following:

Panasonic 42PWD4
    Denon 3802 Amp
    Denon 2800 DVD Mk1
    Mission FS2AV speaker system

Sky via JS RGB-component converter
    VCR via composite
    DVD via component

All video switching is handled by the amp (might add I tried it direct to the plasma and there is NO drop in picture quality going through the amp). This is one area which Joe recommended to me and I have to say switching the video signals via the amp has to be one of the best things I ever did! It saves the number of remotes you have to use to switch between various input sources and as I found out last night, adding an Xbox into the system is simply a case of plugging it into a spare input in the amp and away you go!!!!

The RGB-component converter is great, the SKY picture quality (on good channels) is really better than I had expected. For all of you worried about the lip-synch problem I have to report it is there on a FEW channels however not all the time (strange!!!) but as Joe pointed out to me when I discussed this with him, its not a fault its simply down to a combination of the de-interlacing in the plasma and poor synch in the broadcast material.

The dreaded panny "Buzz" was always a slight worry but I am glad to report it really is not that bad as long as you don't try to listen for it! It is there and it does seem to make a difference to how loud the buzz is depending on where you have the plasma. However don't let this put you off, you end up being so immersed in whatever you are watching you just don't notice it!!!!!.

The Denon 2800 Mk1 DVD player does a great job especially when you turn on the progressive scan. Not only do you get a funky blue light on the front of the player but the picture quality does improve (if only slightly). The effect of the progressive scan is not noticable all the time but in scenes where there is grass (beginning of Gladiator) it definately makes a difference.

In conclusion "I LOVE IT", and I would recommend Joe at the Media Factory to anyone thinking of getting a plasma (just incase anyone is wondering the only link I have with the Media Factory is that I am a very satisfied customer!!)

NOW where did I put that HALO disc????

Anthony Y

PS: Do any other plasma owners lie in bed at night wondering if they put enough screws through the wall mount into the wall??... or is it just me???

2. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got my Plasma from Joe too and I was also very happy with the service and advice I got.

Yeah, I think about that a bit too! I keep checking to make sure the wall bracket has not come away from the wall at all. And when I come back from hols I have these nightmare visions of walking into the house to find a trashed plasma screen lying on the floor. So far so good though :)

3. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admin for the first few days I measured the gap each morning just to make sure it wasn't easing itself off the wall. Mind you, with 8 RawBolts, I'm pretty sure that if it does go, the chimney breast will be coming with it...

4. toonarmy

toonarmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I concur with the above first class service when I purchased my Panny from Joe at the Media Factory.

5. elmbeck

elmbeck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just bought a 42PW4D too - brilliant!

Could you explain in a bit more detail how i should be connecting things together?

I also have a Sky+ box and a Sony DAVS880 Cinema/DVD.

At the moment, the Sky+ is connected via optical (sound) to the DVD and S-Video to the Plasma.

The DVD is component to the screen.

What is the JS RGB-component converter and what are the benefits? Where can I get one?

The result at the moment is very good - although there is a bit of shadowing ?

Hope you can help...
    DF.

6. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm glad you like the component converter!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.
    J.S. Technology.

7. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    how much was the screen mate ???

8. toonarmy

toonarmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I paid £3504.00 in August for my Panny this includes the BNC board and £25.00 for delivery.

Joe can also sort out any cables you might need for hooking it up.

Check out the website for an up to date price.

Toonarmy

9. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nutter,

Completely agree with you re. The Media Factory - they pulled off a perfectly timed delivery for me too. I didn't get a personal delivery, but then Surrey is a bit out of Joe's way ;) (thread here )

Glad to hear about your good experience with Symanski's RGB->COMPONENT box - have just ordered one via Joe myself. Slightly ironic that my decision to get a 433MXE was partly swayed by its great connectivity, yet I'll have everything bar my Laptop going in via component (switched via the Yamaha amp):D

Can you explain about the Xbox connection into your amp? I assume you only have 2 component inputs so are you using a Composite input for the Xbox and then it switches between your VCR and XBox for composite out to the Plasma?

Cheers
    Phil

10. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,660
    They get so much good pblicity here you'd think they'd place a banner here to appeal to all and sundry and support the forums while they're at it.

11. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Joe supports the forums in other ways apart from advertising.

Regards

Rob

12. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I think I'm gonna throw up!

13. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Feeling poorly Snowman?

14. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob - agreed.

Snowman - I know you're having a laugh at us and we need to keep things in context, but it is unbelievable how poor service is in general these days, especially on the high-street. My recent experience of moving house and then furnishing it has really brought that home (**** I sound like my parents).

Joe isn't the only good dealer out there but his knowledge and attitude to service is rare IMO and he also offers broadly competitive pricing. Thankfully we have Gordon, Uncle Eric and others who seem to share the ethic.

15. nutter

nutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Phil,

The XBox is connected as you say via composite and switches between the VCR on the amp, the quality is great so I'm not too bothered about trying to connect it any other way plus I don't have any component inputs left on the amp!!

Day 5: Still loving the plasma!!!!!

16. nutter

nutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Elmbeck,

The RGB - component converter pretty much does what it says.. it takes your RGB scart from your SKY box and converts it to component output and stereo audio. The main advantage in my case is that I wanted to use my amp for switching the video and since the Denon 3802 can take two component inputs (one from the DVD and the other from the converter) it was ideal. If I wasn't going to use my amp for switching I would have gone for the RGB - VGA converter from JS since I could connect that direct to the plasma, and there are only one set of component inputs on the display. The other main advantage of using the component input from SKY is that you still get the "Just" aspect mode on the plasma which is brilliant for SKY channels!!!!! Also I would think component cables are probably cheaper than VGA cables.

I read a thread on the American forum which said the RGB - VGA converter gave a slightly better picture than the RGB - component converter but since I don't have one I really can't give an opinion on this.

The shadowing effect you are getting I havn't really noticed, I will have a look tonight and see if I can spot it and report back, also my neighbour might have a scart to s-video lead so I could give it a try and see if there is much difference in PQ from SKY

:D

17. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Halo on the XBox is rather excellent! As is Rallisport Challenge. With the Advanced SCART you could connect it in to the component converter too, or alternatively via the Plasma VGA unit into the PC input. Digital audio from the Advanced SCART can still go in to the amp. Certainly would be worth trying it on the component converter.

XBox, four players, 14 foot screen via a projector, multi-player Rallisport, and up until dawn.... Bliss.

All the best,

John Sim.
    (and I've been slapped on my wrists for posting my web address!)

18. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
  19. nutter

nutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Symanski,

Well I think you've got me with the 14 foot screen!!!! Good point on the Xbox connection.... the Xbox is actually on lend from a mate so I can decide whether or not I want to get one so if I do I will definately go down the route you mentioned so I can get the Dolby 5.1 through the amp (don't see me getting much sleep if I do that!!!!!!!)

Just like to say the RGB - component converter is great :)

20. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Nutter,

the XBox is now £ 160, which for that machine is a bargin! You pay for the system through the games though, something like with Sky where the box is free but you're paying a subscription.

XBox only games are a level above all the ported ones, so Halo, Project Gothem and Rallisport are just superb. Rallisport can only be improved upon by having multi player support, which we were going to attempt until we found that it wasn't. That night, the "worst" screen was going to be a 46" Tosh rear projection!

The built in hardisc makes a big difference too.

I'm really glad you like the component converter. It was in development for about a year, partially because I was very busy with the plasma VGA unit and didn't want to bring out another product. But, I wanted to get it just right, so I integrated some of the Plasma VGA's circuitry. I don't know if you're had a look inside yet (others have), but I'm sure you'll be quite impressed too.

All the best,

John Sim.

21. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >> The dreaded panny "Buzz" was always a slight worry but I am glad to report it
    >> really is not that bad as long as you don't try to listen for it! It is there and it
    >> does seem to make a difference to how loud the buzz is depending on where
    >> you have the plasma.

What position did you find was best/worse? As an owner of a buzzy panny, I have more than a passing interest!

22. nutter

nutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nickt,

I found that the best place for minimised "Buzz" was stood in the middle of the room just.. NOT the most practical place to have it!!!! It seems to be louder when its mounted on the wall, which would seem logical since the sound is bouncing directly off the wall into the room (I'm no sound engineer so its quite likely I am talking complete c**p!!!!!!) I havn't tried it anywhere else cos I spent about two weeks re-doing the room to have the screen in the best possible viewing/speaker position.

23. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nutter, what you say about the bouncing makes sense (it has been a long time since A-level physics though...). What did Joe have to say about the buzz?

I actually notice it less now - probably because I am less conciously looking at the £3000 monlith bolted to the wall and just get immersed in the superb viewing experience. Perhaps I'll have to stick up some flock wallpaper to absorb the hum!

Nick

24. nutter

nutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Elmbeck,

I checked for shadowing last night and I couldn't really notice anything on the main SKY channels.. one thing I did see was on the composite feed from the XBox. There seems to be quite a bit of shadowing in the picture if you look for it. You tend to notice it more around text when there is a light background and it also seems to get more obvious the closer you get to the screen. I am viewing my panny from about 12 feet away so its quite difficult to see imperfections in the picture. I don't know if you will get the same effect on the S-video as I did on the composite because I havn't been able to get hold of a S-video lead to do a proper comparison between S-video, composite and component.

25. nutter

nutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi nickt,

I did talk to Joe about the "Buzz" before I purchased the display and he explained that they all do it but the mounting position and room acoustics do make a difference to the final sound level of the "Buzz", and from what I have found I would totally agree with him. I tested the plasma for about an hour before mounting it on the wall (with the unit sat in the middel of the room) and I couldn't hear much of a buzz (although my jaw was dragging along the floor for most of that time so I might have just missed it!). I only really noticed it when I finally mounted the screen on the wall. I have checked around the back of the screen and the sound comes out of the top and bottom vents so I doubt mounting the screen on some kind of sound dampening material will make much difference. The only real way to fix the problem would be to sink the plasma flush into the wall, but as Joe has pointed out in a previous thread this could cause serious overheating problems!!

26. leedsfireman

leedsfireman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi, can anyone post a link to the media factory.

27. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0