Plasma Screen Cleaning Cloths?

samjet

Ex Member
Reaction score
does anyone know of any that are specifically made for cleaning plasma's??

i am told the pc screen cleaning cloths should not be used - right or wrong??

your assistance appreciated

thanks

Depends which type, many are impregnated with a solvent to clear grease.

I personally use an 'e-cloth' which is a micro fibre cloth. Quite pricey (about £5 each - try eBay) but work a treat. I think though if you use anything that is soft - non abrasive, and doesn't contain any solvents you should be ok.

....maybe anything too wet as well.... guess your 'Fairy' soaked dishcloth would do no good either.....

So I take it we aint allowed to stick some polish on it and clean it like I did with the old CRT? (or the misses did shoudl I say ;) ) best warn her. cant use monitor screen wipes then?

Its tricky. Ive seen some cleaning sprays that say: "not suitable for plasma displays"

I was quite surprised they actually bothered to say anything.

I also use a micro fibre cloth and it clears all the dust really well without leaving scratches or marks of any sort.

They are pricey, but you only need one. They can be washed at low temp, and in a washing net to help keep other fibres off the cloth.

thanks for the replies so far

BUT some of us have open fires, smoke , kids (and adults) with sticky greasy fingers etc - really need a cloth that has actual cleaning abilities rather than just dust removal

i also have a problem with static

Does a plasma have some kind of coating over the glass then???

I would have thought you could use Windolene, Polish or alcohol spray quite safely, just like a CRT.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I take delivery of my plasma in a couple of weeks.

And I smoke, so it's gonna need a lot of cleaning.

Oh and forgot to mention. I find that Bounty (the kitchen towel) is great for cleaning and dusting. It's lint free and is almost impossible to wear a hole in like other paper towels.

I'm not ringing anybody to ask them how to clean glass!

I'm sure that if there really is a good reason to be careful, someone on these boards will know the full and detailed reason why.

Tesco Microfibre. Came from an old thread on here. Works fantastic on 4 year old's fingerprints and dust. Grab em from the auto section in blue for 79p or in yellow from the cleaning section at 99p. Decisions decisions!!!

Bigfatsi

Noodle,

Don't even think of using Windowlene or any alchohol based cleaners, nor indeed polish. Most plasma screens have a coating on the glass and you will damage it. Panasonic's user manual says "damp soft cloth only". I have used alcohol-free screen cleaning tissues successfully here (Storex from PC World) but they are not officially approved - so don't blame me if they damage your screen.

Has anyone tried the electrostatic dusters (like the ones used on laminate floors) you can get them with nothing inpregnated.
They do work and hold the dust not just push it around, not sure how well they do on grease marks though. They are cheap and you can use a new one every clean so should not cause any scratches.

this is bloody ridiculous :mad:

thanks everyone for your well intentioned advice

BUT

there are no cleaning cloths made for plasma tv's??? this is surreal :thumbsdow

someone with industry contacts better get onto this asap as there is a killng to be made :D

samjet said:
this is bloody ridiculous :mad:

thanks everyone for your well intentioned advice

BUT

there are no cleaning cloths made for plasma tv's??? this is surreal :thumbsdow

someone with industry contacts better get onto this asap as there is a killng to be made :D

Ok,
A micro fiber cloth on its own is perfectly safe for a plasma. Rember plasma screens are not just class, my Viera and others have coated plastic fronts.
Eko star from these very forums uses a product called AF Screen Clene, which is anti staic and can be bought on line. There is also a product called plasma clean

which can be found here

here for screen clene

I have not yet used the products my self though, so I can not speak for how good they are.

Like I said , Ekostar uses them, and HE/SHE, is usally a very good sorce of info,( I got the link for screen clene from eko for a start :D )

shugg said:
why not try your hoover (with a rubber attachment of course!)

...or take it off the wall and shake it vigerously to dislodge any stubborn particles......

AF Screen Clene or Sapona products. It's what the OEM's use. Use them for long enough and it'll build up an anti-static barrier repelling dust as well.

If you don't wish to use any kind of liquid form on your screen then simply use a decent quality micro-fibre cloth, gently working away any finger print marks.

Panasonic used to ship a micro-fibre cloth with a special coating with some old RPJ screens which are just as delicate if not more so. They cost about £15, bit dear but marvellous cloth, never needed any liquid.

Monster Cables have some special Plasma Screen Cleaner which comes with some spray and a micro-fibercloth.

they seem the business :D

just rung 3M and they only sell a box of 50 for about £230

however they tell me they are sold through

Tesco

Waitrose

Costco

must go shopping this afternoon :D :clap:

at nearly a fiver each they should be bloody good! let us know if you find them matie

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom