Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Plasma Screen Cleaning - Again!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Dave911, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Dave911

Dave911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Being the proud owner of a Hitachi 7200 and very pleased with it I am too :thumbsup: I have gone to the trouble of purchasing some microfibre cloths for cleaning the screen. The problem is that me and T'wife are smokers :nono: and as such using a damp cloth with water on and then drying it off is not taking the nicotine off. I know we should give up or smoke elesewhere but that ain't going to happen (not yet anyway). Is there any product which has some form of cleaning fluid on the market which will take stuff like this off without damaging the panel?

Cheers
    Dave

2. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
  3. Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just read this thread and You guys need to be very careful with microfibre cloths trying not to go off topic here but as I am a keen car detailer I have allot of info regarding microfibre cloths and there seems to be a lot of cheap crap out there. Go for a good quality one i.e SONUS,PAKSHAK,MEGUIRES and do the cd test i.e gentle rub a cd (one that You do not want anymore I hasten to add) and see if there are any scratches on it You will be shocked :eek: with the damage caused by sub standard cloths.

4. mickymcd

mickymcd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Do a search on ebay for product called plasmaclean excellent stuff you get excellent cloth with it too really good stuff

5. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was at Dixons yesterday and they had 200 cleaning wipes for "LCD, tft, plasma and laptop screens" (priced at £7.99)... so i bought a couple.

Anyone used these b4 , the container seems pretty much blank other than the instructions at the back, its called "essential Value".. -- anyhow, i was told these would do the job by one of the guys at Dixons so i'm assuming they would be okay to use on a plasma tv ?

It says on the back under ingredients : "Tissue, Isopropyl alcohol, Pure Water, Anti-static" and also specifies to use within 1 year of opening..

i thought these would be okay for cleaning my new 42" plasma tv, but i guess if there's better stuff out there that is more reliable than i'll probably return this cheap stuff and go for tht to be safe.. dont wanna take any chances..

6. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :mad:

Just tried these wipes on my PC monitor (LCD) and they've left not only streaks but faint scratches right across the screen! this is ridiculous, how can they sell this stuff at Dixons/Currys claiming it is suitable for LCDs and plasmas..

How fortunate I am that i didn't try these wipes on my plasma , jeez.. :eek:

Can someone recommend me a tried and tested cleaning solution for plasma screens? i dont care about the price, want to keep away from cheap stuff ... not worth taking the risk.

Are these E-cloths any good ? would it just be better to get an E-cloth and use it with a little bit of water/steam rather than any cleaning solution/solvent ?

7. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    i tried my e-cloth on the back of a CD and it didnt leave any marks - would think that suggests its good enough :)

8. wrightie01

wrightie01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    A chamois leather, slightly moistened with warm water and a tiny bit of plain washing up liquid. buff dry with lint free cotton cloth (old pair of cotton undies ideal!)

9. wingnut1

wingnut1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    I would agree with Chewbacca on this one, buy a decent microfibre cloth from a well respected brand like Meguires. Don't use those cheap throw away wipes, they are good for a babies arse and that is about it!!

11. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gizlaroc , thanks mate.. i take your advice on plasmas as the gospel :)... i shall be buying just that, a Meguires microfibre cloth.. are you ware of any online stores which sell it ?

As for the wipes, well.. i'm going to be going down to Dixons and demanding that I be compensated for the damage these wipes have done to my LCD monitor.. i've got scratches all over the damn thing! :mad: (good job I didn't use it on my lovely 42PE50.. )

12. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Don't do that!! :D

Try.......

http://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk

They stock the Pakshak clothes too.

13. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Whilst in Currys today noticed they had Ixos and Monster branded screen clean liquid bottles. Suitable for Plasma/TFT/LCDs. At £4.99 & £5.99 respectively they were very good value. Used with a good microfibre and I'm sure they will suffice.

14. suniil

suniil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    I use scotch brite microfibre cloth (3M branded). Bought from tesco. It does excellent job

Can't remember price, but i believe £4ish

15. chaddy

chaddy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    i use these too, if dusty use just the cloth if got marks just damp it a tiny bit.