1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plasma screen burn

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by richabir, Dec 20, 2002.

1. richabir

richabir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i own a rptv at the moment but i play video games alot so i was going to get a plasma tv so i could have them on big screen but now i've been told that plasma suffer from screen burn could anyone tell me if they are affected as much as rear projection or are they at the same risk as crt tv

2. YYZ

YYZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes is the answer. Plasma's are susceptable to burn-in the same as RPTV. The same rules apply, keep constrast and brightness reasonable, don't leave static images on the screen for hours on end and use the screens screen saver functions. The other issue with a plasma is that the 1st 1000 hours are the most critical, the screen needs to be run-in gently. But don't get over cautious either just use common sense. Ive had my plasma for over a year and Ive had bright logo's from MTV to Sky news displayed without any adverse effects.

3. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been using a Panny4 as a TV for about a year now. We watch lots of logo littered Sky News in 4:3 with black 'side curtains' and the missus has Cbeebies on all day for the sprog with its red 'interinactive' logo in the corner. We also watch loads of other shoddy 4:3 stuff with black 'side curtains'.

I can't see any evidence of screen-burn at all, the screen's done about 1700 hours.

If you display a bright 4:3 image for about 10 mins with black 'curtains' then switch off the source to get a blank screen you can see the 'bars'. These bars seem to persist, but if you switch the source back on with a 16:9 image displayed, the bars quickly fade.

So, does anybody actually have screen-burn on a plasma used in a domestic environment? If so, what were the circumstances?

4. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I have a very mild case of screen burn on my new Plasma screen!

It is mild,a nd you can only tell if you really look for it, and its never vissible when watching TV or DVD. Its the BBC neews channel 'morning clock'.

That was from watching ~70 minuttes of news 24 the very first morning of having my 433 plasma. The BRightness setting, was looking back, still too bright. However the manual, didnt really mention it, despite soem comments in this forum! The fact that the screen had hardly been used apart from wathing a film the night before didnt help.

However since I have introduced the orbital mode, reduced the brightness settings etc, and its not getting worse.

Im not worried by its presence, but I do recomend that you endeavour to ensure no static pictures. The other day, the DVD finished, and the DVD went to it's menu, which was static. After 10 minutes it was still static, the DVD screen saver didnt kick infor seom reason, and when i ejected the disc, the outline of the DVD menu could be seen. However, 20 minutes of full frame picture removed any trace of screen burn.

It is a real issue, but ffollowing common sense should reduce the liklyhood of any major problems.

Adrian

5. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, the default brightness setting on my Panny4 is way too high, I knock it back by 10-15 clicks depending on the ambient room lighting. Is it the case that you can only see it when there's no input signal? You said that you don't see it when watching TV or DVDs.

Do any plasma 'experts' here recommend giving a display a 10 min blast of a white freeze frame at max brightness to clear up any burn? Or is this madness?

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    AndrewB

If we are supplying displays and content as part of any systems for museums, galleries and exhibitions I always get the production team to programme the system with a 20 minute 'blast' of all white on the DVD or PC (start and end of each day); we started this trick on the earlier displays that did not have sophisticated on/off and screen saver timings we could control via RS232.

Best regards

Joe

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    I know that, at larger sizes, they are still disproprtionately expensive, but, fwiw, LCD screens do not suffer from screen burn, irrespective of how they are used.