1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Screen Burn

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kezza, Jul 15, 2002.

1. kezza

kezza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have read and heard lots of talk about plasmas suffering from screen burn but has anybody actually seen one that was used domestically with this problem.

I am reffering to the dreaded sky logos that adorn every channel but am wondering if I am getting worried unnecessarily.

Also if it is an issue what are the best preventions?

Regards

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Never seen it in domestic use. Have seen Sky logo's burnt in on commercial installations. Just walk through Glasgow airport and marvel at how they trashed virtually all the plasma's on the way through the departure gates......

To avoid it don't leave the thing on the same channel for hours at a time. Turn the contrast down...it's usually miles too high on plasma's anyway resulting in eye fatigue. If the unit has an image area orbitor then turn it on. This changes the are of the pixel array that is used to display the image so the fixed logos's aren't in the same place every time you switch it on...

Gordon

3. kezza

kezza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a Toshiba 42WP16 which I don't believe has this feature.

I run the white scrolling bar every night for 2 mins. Will this help?

Regards

4. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Kezza,

How do you find this screen and what equipment have you got connected?

I am building my system up bit by bit and am going to be getting the Tosh plasma in the very near future...possibly just into next month.

I was just wondering how you are getting on with it and what you think? What did u have before? a normal CRT TV? If so, which is the better for day to day viewing in your own opinion?

5. kezza

kezza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Kirk,

Its fantastic. I only had a 25" CRT before but could never decide which big screen to buy as CRT's are too bulky and Rear Projections don't have any space underneath to store my kit which I need so a plasma solved all these problems in one.

I have a DVD player connected via the s-video and sky connected to the vga port and I am perfectly happy with the picture from both sources. Ok so the sky may not be technically brilliant but it is fine for everyday use.

I use a pronto to control all my kit and if I didn't have this using the plasma day to day may have become a pain as you would have to switch on numerous devices just to watch the tv but a simple pronto macro solved all this.

In conclusion buy it you won't regret it.

Regards

6. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Excellent! I am jumping from a Dolby Prologic 28" Panasonic Widescreen to the Tosh :D

I was considering the Pronto as well.....u may just have swung that in my direction as well matey! :cool: