1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plasma screen burn

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by bongpig, Dec 7, 2003.

1. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

ive searched through a fair few of the messages here, and noticed there are many players who use large plasma screens for thier gaming.
    Im planning to get a screen myself, but am concerned about the apparent screen burn problems with these types of TV.

There are many games that have the same graphic, on the same spot throughout play. For example, first person shooters could have a health bar thats always in the top left. Or driving games with a speed-o-meter always in the bottom right.

Isnt this type of static graphics for long periods a problem with plasma screens? Do they cause screen burn?

Ive heard of some plasmas with 'Anti-phoshor burning functions'. Something about a rotating orbiter ( whatever that means ).
    Anybody familier with this type of thing?

Thanks for your time

2. outtathaway

outtathaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not had any problems with mine, i believe with static images your talking days rather than hours before this may become a problem, maybe on commercial displays where they always display the same image airports etc.
    Plus i can not think of any games that are likely to have the same screen up for hours on end, you'll nearly always get some FMV cut scenes or the dreaded "Game Over" screen.
    Don't worry get the biggest Plasma you can afford you won't regret it.
    :smashin:

3. Dax

Dax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't had any problems with burn-in on my plasma either. The only thing I'd avoid is pausing a game and walking away for an extended period. The whole screen burn problem is a non issue with a bit of common sense in use.

4. wod

wod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    u shouldn't get burn in on a plasma unless you have the contrast and brightness set too high

5. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys. I fell better about splashing out on a nice big 42" now! Colin4 on 42 inches!!

cheers

6. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    some burn easier than others - no issues with my pannys

7. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive heard that plasmas usually die anyway after 4 or 5 years... is this true?

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    If you have them on 24/7 maybe. Otherwise there is plenty of information around to dispel these myths. I expect mine to still be going strong after many many years. I probably still won't own it but it should be working still :)