1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Screen burn anyone?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by greyt, Aug 22, 2002.

1. greyt

greyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone actually quantify how long it takes to burn a plasma screen. I know it is dependant upon many factors including contrast and brightness settings.

I have the Panasonic 42" plasma and am wondering just how paranoid I have to me. My wife likes to watch "The Box" quite often and the telephone number in white at the top right is beginning to worry me. Sky news also looks like a no no, with all their on screen graphics.

I am also wondering how long to use my Xbox for. Is an hour or two every now and then an issue, or am I being overly paranoid.

Is it worth me sending a letter to Panasonic asking the question. or will they avoid the issue?

Also, can anyone explain why Plasmas burn more easily than CRT TVs. They both are using phosphor after all?

Does the white bar screen saver on the Panasonic help prevent screen burn? If so does it have to be run immediately after a long viewing session. Any advice?

Finally is anyone actually suffering from screenburn using a Plasma in a domestic setting?

Sorry for all the questions!

Graham

2. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I'm afraid I can't answer all your questions, but your not alone with being concerned about plasma screen burn!

I have had my Panny plasma in general use for only a few days, and I am very concerned. My daughter watches Cbeebies for long(ish) stretches, and thoses logos scare the hell out of me. I have cranked the brightness and contrast right down to try and reduce the risk, but how much it's actually helping, I don't know. As you have found out, some channels (Sky News) are *much* worse than others.

I haven't connected my console to the plasma yet, and am really wondering whether I should. I know some people have mega game fests that last hours and hours, but I think it would be too much of a risk. Maybe an hour or two would be ok though.

It would be interesting too see how Panasonic would respond to a letter, but I wouldn't hold you breath. They may well blame the TV broadcasters, while the broadcasters will blame the TV manufacturers (Sky do!). No one wants to take any resposibility for fear of legal action.

As for the white bar screensaver, I was under the impression that would only work if the plasma detected a still image on the screen (like a paused picture). I have it enabled on my plasma, but haven't seen it kick in yet. I check it out more closely.

3. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Those logo's are a worry, and like you my young kids do tend to watch Cbeebies and Boomerange for extended periods.
    However, my Sky+ box has an S-Video out port as well as RGB SCART so I had a good solution for this problem.
    I have expanded the logos off the screen using the vertical expand in the picture menu for the S-Video input. They don't notice the missing bits at all.
    When my wife or I want to watch TV, we use the PC input port which is being feed RGB from a J.S. Technology RGB-PC converter.

4. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I don't use my Panasonic for TV viewing but I do use it a lot for DVD, XBox, GC and PS2. I have a different picture setting for games than movies - basically I run with contrast at minimum for gameplaying and have had no problems in about 3 months use so far.

On average I guess I play for up to a couple of hours at a time, similar to an average movie, but I have also seen no sign of burn-in from the bars on 2.35:1 movies either.

I had an RPTV for 2 years previous, which are supposedly equally prone to burn-in, but I had no issues with that set either. If you use common sense and ensure your contrast is not too high for general TV viewing and games, and just save the impact for movies then you will be fine. You should be able to have a higher contrast for TV viewing, but channel logos would be too risky so I would tend to be a little conservative if I were you. I used my RPTV with Sky digital and always used low contrast for TV viewing b/c of the logos.

Use your head and everything will be fine. Plasmas are fine pieces of technology and need to be treated a little differently than CRT, which is still the workhorse of the living room. Personally I use a CRT with Sky digital and have the plasma in a dedicated room with controlled lighting. This means I can run much lower brightness and contrast settings for maximum results and best longevity from the screen. If you find you are having to run quite high contrast settings due to ambient light then you may want to restrict your gaming to the darker hours or close the curtains so you can run lower settings.

Hope these pointers help...

5. ajrimmer

ajrimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks, I bought a plasma TV and I have to admit was totally unaware to the risks of screen burn, I have learnt the hard way, I was watching a sky channel called 'ibuy' and when I turned over guess what... yep, the logo in the top left and the telephone number in the top right were still there! I had been watching for about 30 mins (they were selling a really nice Gucci handbag, I was hooked) I've e-mailed them to tell them but no reply! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is this 'ghosting' or 'shadowing' that I've since been reading about as with other viewing it does seem to be fading slightly, all I wish was that I had been told a few rules when I purchased the TV, we even bought a copy of 'what plasma or LCD' magazine but never read about the tragic screen burn. I'm gutted really as I splashed out on a Pioneer 43" plasma, and the stress is unbelievable, I even panic now about the widescreen images with the black strip top and bottom. At least now hubby gets his own way by channel surfing, that used to drive me mad now I encourage him much to his delight!

6. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Get a Panasonic plasma, take it out of dynamic, set the brightness and contrast to below 50% and just sit back, relax and enjoy - forget that screen burn/retention even exists!, because with a Panasonic plasma and with these settings, it don't".

Those were the words of wisdom I was given by a chap on here , I took his words of advice and did just that ... have now had a Panasonic 42PE50 for 6 months, treated it just like a CRT, and believe me, the kids have had Cbeebies on for upto 6-7 hrs non stop even within the first couple of days we had the plasma, Sky Sports has been on for hours over the winter when the cricket was on, Sky Sports news is on for 5-6 hrs on Saturday afternoons --- and to date, not the slightest hint of retention/burn in.

7. MiddleCut

MiddleCut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Please DON NOT FORGET that screen burn exists on these setting. I have it on these setting s and yesterday discovered a 'Nick Jr Logo' burned in the top left corner of my Panosonic 42 inch!!!

Now the channel will be blocked as the nanny is too good at sticking the kids in front of it for a couple of hours a day!

WE should just protest about the screen logo's.. I may try that nice idea of zooming in so the logo is not on the screen anymore!

8. Cor

Cor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic TH50PX60 here -- I play a lot of games, and I've had absolutely no hints of any long term burn in. I've had the television since early February, using low settings til I adjusted them shortly after passing the 200 hours mark. Games with bright HUDs on screen for hours at a time haven't stuck around, which has been fantastic.

The only issue I have is after watching a film with widescreen borders -- when I switch to a blank black screen, I can still see the borders on the screen, but 30 seconds or so on a screen filled with static fixes that issue.

I was so very worried about burn in, but, I haven't found it a problem at all. :smashin:

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK hang on to your horses, scrren burn is permanant damage to the phosphur, Latent image retention is what happens when a logo is left behind for a while my screen has news 24 on for hours and no sign of burn or retention retetntion is worst when new and will fade just channel surf a bit and goes away turning th screen off is the worst you can do if gaming when you finish put some TV on for an hour to work the pixels some people use a untuned channel for the snow but i find this unecassary if you overly worried down load the pioneer scren washer DVD. retention is not burn but can become burn treat the screen ith respect (remeber each input or signal may need the settings reset ie HDM scart 720p and 1080i all need setting not just one setting for al sources and you should be fine

10. donald266

donald266

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi I just bought a panasonic plasma th37pxb and slightly unaware of screenburn till i read something about it doh - want to use my tv as a dvb radio also. Any hints ? - doesn't seem to a radio mode where you can blank out the screen to get rid of big radio logos

11. PUD the Ancient

PUD the Ancient

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Even after ISF calibration and over 1000hrs on the clock I found my plasma to be awful with retention. Just 30 mins watching something like the SCI-FI channel was enough to leave the logo clearly visible on a blank screen for several hours afterwards.

12. MartinCollinson

MartinCollinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have a Pioneer 507XD. I ran it in with low contrast etc - even though many think that this is not needed - and then after 200 hours got it set up to my taste. Look brill for both SD and HD.

I have 2 kids under 5 so CBBC and Nikleodeon are on for literally hours some days - I also love cricket and have watched whole days of test matches (when I'm allowed to) plus 3+ hours of NFL games. Add Sky Sports news etc to the mix.

We have not seen the slightest hint of retention let alone burn. Mind you I would not leave it on Sky HD pause for a couple of hours to test it :)

I understand that initial reports are the new 8 series Pioneers panels are even more bullet proof in this regard. Panasonic and Fujitsu panels are also reported to be very resistant to retention. Some earlier models did have problems - the 6 gen Pioneers for example - and some cheaper models, well you get what you pay for most of the time.

Bottom line if you have a recent Pioneer, Panasonic or Fujitsu and don't do anything really silly like having contrast set at about 70 or leave it on pause while you go the shops for about 3 hours will be fine.

13. The Woo

The Woo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think susceptibility to retention and burn is down to faults in individual panels, not just makes and models of TV. Please view my thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593411

My Pioneer 427XD has started retaining images after nearly six months of ownership (over 2000 hours of viewing time). Pioneer have officially commented to me (I have the letter to prove it) that this is normal and retention can occur after only 15-20 minutes of exposure to a static image. This can then take several days to disappear.

It would be nice if Pioneer would admit to this in there sales literature and operating manual!! 15 to 20 minutes can hardly be deemed as an "extended" or "prolonged" period of time!!

My initial retention took less than 3 hours to generate ('Discovery: Turbo' logo) and has since taken over 200 hours of further viewing for it to disappear!!

Neither the retailer or Pioneer are willing to admit that this is a fault or that they have misrepresented the capabilities of the set.

My set is now retaining some images in under 5 minutes - Pioneer still say this is "within an acceptable range....":mad:

It may not be "Screen burn", but trust me, looking at a retained logo for several weeks or being on constant guard with everything you watch can be a real drag!!

BUY WITH CAUTION!!

14. bwilson1

bwilson1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer 507XD, bought about 8 months ago. I read all the retention burn threads and did the untuned channel noise burn in for a couple of hundred hours. I have all the setting lowish contrast, -3 colour, user settings etc. I watch most channels and had not really noticed any screen retention. However occaisionally I was convinced I could see horizontal lines for a short period and convince myself it was because I looked up from my laptop whilst web browsing and my eyes were adjusting. What I was/am actually seeing is some screen retention when previously we have been channel surfing on the Sky planner. This has bright grid like bars and without doubt even after a few minutes of watching this then there is some seconds of screen retention which does disappear.
    Anyway to bore you all further I really noticed this last night after trying to find something to watch on sky planner (not easy even with all the channels :)). Turning the sky box off so the plasma was still input from the hdmi leaves a non driven screen, with all lights off, really dark room I was mortified to see the ghost of sky planner past, and when then watching dark areas of a program I could see the trace (really had to look for it though, but now I'm in debug mode). Worried that my wife and kids had left it on planner and answered the phone etc at some stage I resorted to the untuned analog channel at high contrast white noise screen. I left this for a couple of minutes and it eradicated the retention to a very low level. Just for completeness I ran the untuned channel for a further 15 mins and it remove ALL trace of any retention :)

So do 7th gen plasmas exhibit retention even after smallish periods of time....absolutely yes
    Is this transient when the panel is run at good settings and cared for....yes
    Is it really noticeable or objectionable....yes for a couple of tens of seconds but but not practically objectionable...you really have to look for it
    Is it a bitch that you have to consider it at all...yes
    Do you get it from lcd...don't know, but the technolgy would suggest it unlikely.

So the bottom line is we have been using the screen completely "normally" ie watching everything for still periods, sky banners, etc etc, and I just washed my screen to remove what was a latent image, so there is NO screen burn. Hope I don't get over sensitive and let it bother me :-( however I've put up with a lot worse artefacts on all sets I've ever had! The end result is still superb viewing.
    Doubtless someone will follow up with a worse experience, but I feel I'm a typical user and am quite tuned to artefacts in image equipment.

Hope this helps people.

Bob