1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plasma & satellite

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tradesman, Aug 21, 2004.

1. tradesman

tradesman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    reading a lot of posts lately on the poor/grainy quality of sky broadcasts is the same problem apparent on a digital multi satellite receiver or is it just applicable to sky broadcasts

regards tradesman

2. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have a Topfield TF4000pvr for several years now (in fact it was the first hard disk dual tuner receiver) and feed the Panny plasma thru my Arcam AVR300 receiver over plain composite, and the picture is very good of all fta broadcasts (3000 or so), not grainy at all.
    In fact, that's what I like about sat reception, either the pic is snowless or not there at all...
    Mind you, there may be other faults because of poor downlinks etc. like blockforming, unstability etc. but graininess? Never.
    FWIW- Watch a lot of BBC here over the sat, excellent though somewhat distorted image.
    Barend (NL)

3. tradesman

tradesman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thnx barend for the reply just trying to make my mind up weather to go for plasma or LCD watch alot of sat chnls hence my concern

regards tradesman

4. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    LCD can look wonderful, although IMO it's still overpriced, and I saw some that were plagued by movement smearing.
    Large sizes are way too expensive compared to plasma.
    My Panny TH42-PWD6EX (bought it in Germany last september) has some quirks (bad pal support thru dvi) but the picture is magnificent in any video mode. Don't buy the Panny tuner, it's awful.
    Good Luck on your choice!

5. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the end of the day you get out what you put in. If you feed your display one of the heavily compressed channels, then you'll get a picture that shows it.

IMO the high banwidth Sky channels offer a very good picture.

Also set up of the display can make the difference between a poor picture and a great one. It all depends on your display, it's configuration, what you feed it, and what you connect it with.

Good luck with whatever you chose, and btw, you don't have to buy off the sponsors, the screen that you'd suggested seemed to be highly priced compared to the much applauded Panasonic panel that I mentioned.